Proper lighting for a 45 gal JBJ

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted some opinions on what would be the proper lighting for my 45 gal JBJ AIO. I currently have 4 fish, some soft corals, and some LPS. I am a novice at taking care of corals and they are alive, but definitely not thriving. They never seem to grow. What made me think of my lighting is the anenome that I just purchased. It is almost at the highest point of the tank like it is reaching for the light. Right now I am running 1 AI Prime HD on my tank, but I have been toying with the idea of getting a second one. The guys at WWC recommended a hybrid fixture, but mounting it is not going to fly with the wife. I will show you what I'm working with.

7634488D-3ADD-46C9-96D4-A5AC7CBDAAB1.jpeg F4A5DBD8-6039-4CA3-8774-8AE6DEA781CD.jpeg

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the ocean revive arctic t247 on my Innovative marine 40g for about 8 months with incredible results. I have a mixed reef, SPS, LPS, and soft. Coloration and growth has been great and I'm running the lights at less than 50%. It's a great affordable option.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the ocean revive arctic t247 on my Innovative marine 40g for about 8 months with incredible results. I have a mixed reef, SPS, LPS, and soft. Coloration and growth has been great and I'm running the lights at less than 50%. It's a great affordable option.
Do you have any pics of the light and how its setup on your tank?

GCL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a JBJ 45 and after running it with a black box for about a year and a half I upgraded to the Reefbreeders Photon 24 V-2+. I love the light and would definitely recommend.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a JBJ 45 and after running it with a black box for about a year and a half I upgraded to the Reefbreeders Photon 24 V-2+. I love the light and would definitely recommend.
I have no idea what these lights look like. Big, small, how do they mount. Back of tank or ceiling. And what's the cost because I have to keep budget in mind.

GCL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what these lights look like. Big, small, how do they mount. Back of tank or ceiling. And what's the cost because I have to keep budget in mind.

I don’t have a pic of them on my tank but you can check them out here:
They are 24” inches long so they provide pretty even coverage for LED. They come with hardware to mount either way.

Adding a second AI Prime is a good option too.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a pic of them on my tank but you can check them out here:
They are 24” inches long so they provide pretty even coverage for LED. They come with hardware to mount either way.

Adding a second AI Prime is a good option too.
That light is sweet, but it's also $400. I can add a second AI Prime for half the cost.

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a hack to hang the light with the
I used a hack to mount the light with the RMS XR 30. It gives it a sleeker look. Here's a pretty recent pic of my tank.
20210318_151103.jpg

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, your tank is nice. Your corals are Poppin. My tank is the opposite of yours. Ugly. All you can see in mine is rock. I like how you mounted the light. Looks nice. Definitely wife acceptable. Thanks for the suggestion and pic.

JayStro81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez, your tank is nice. Your corals are Poppin. My tank is the opposite of yours. Ugly. All you can see in mine is rock. I like how you mounted the light. Looks nice. Definitely wife acceptable. Thanks for the suggestion and pic.
Thanks. It takes time and patience. My tank is about a year old. There really wasn't any growth until it hit about 6 months. Continue to do research and ask questions, but most of all be patient. Believe me, I've lost my share of livestock when I first started this hobby but it's worth it once your tank starts to take off. It's a frustrating hobby at times, but it's also extremely rewarding.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted some opinions on what would be the proper lighting for my 45 gal JBJ AIO. I currently have 4 fish, some soft corals, and some LPS. I am a novice at taking care of corals and they are alive, but definitely not thriving. They never seem to grow. What made me think of my lighting is the anenome that I just purchased. It is almost at the highest point of the tank like it is reaching for the light. Right now I am running 1 AI Prime HD on my tank, but I have been toying with the idea of getting a second one. The guys at WWC recommended a hybrid fixture, but mounting it is not going to fly with the wife. I will show you what I'm working with.

7634488D-3ADD-46C9-96D4-A5AC7CBDAAB1.jpeg F4A5DBD8-6039-4CA3-8774-8AE6DEA781CD.jpeg
So sad to see that light... It isn't enough indeed!! Even 3 of those isn't enough in terms of quality.
How much do you want to succeed?? Do you want to just remedy the first mistake a bit, or you want to change for good and have the best/easiest light for your system?!? That way you will be able to forget lighting and make everyone jealous of your tank without having to kill corals trying to figure out LED settings and so on. This forum is full of people asking for help with their LEDs.
You will have healthier coals than WWC with T5s!!!

Just get a 6 bulb 24" ATI Sunpower non- dimmable fixture and your problems are solved forever!! To change the bulbs every 12 moths is the only major maintenance you need besides vaccum the fans at the same time. No hassle, no upgrades, no burning corals!!! Be smart! You won't regret!!

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad to see that light... It isn't enough indeed!! Even 3 of those isn't enough in terms of quality.
How much do you want to succeed?? Do you want to just remedy the first mistake a bit, or you want to change for good and have the best/easiest light for your system?!? That way you will be able to forget lighting and make everyone jealous of your tank without having to kill corals trying to figure out LED settings and so on. This forum is full of people asking for help with their LEDs.
You will have healthier coals than WWC with T5s!!!

Just get a 6 bulb 24" ATI Sunpower non- dimmable fixture and your problems are solved forever!! To change the bulbs every 12 moths is the only major maintenance you need besides vaccum the fans at the same time. No hassle, no upgrades, no burning corals!!! Be smart! You won't regret!!

I would consider this option if I didn't have to hang it from the ceiling.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back