PSA: General Cure & turbellarians

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since April, I have used API General Cure on 24 different quarantine tanks. In 3 cases, it failed to eradicate turbellarians aka "black ich": https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/black-ich-turbellarians.259912/

In 2 of these cases treating with Prazipro worked; In 1 case I had to resort to using formalin. o_O

My guess is that the 2.0 mg/L praziquantel concentration found in GC was not strong enough (Prazipro contains a higher concentration of 2.5 mg/L).

P.S. I've also encountered one strain of flukes (a Neobenedenia genus) that survived both GC & Prazipro. However, formalin kicked it's butt good. :D This has been a public service announcement.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin dosage for treating prazi resistant worms: 2 drops per gallon of straight 37% Formaldehyde. Rinse & repeat in 1 week (same as using Prazipro).

** WARNING ** Formalin contains formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. Therefore, precautions must be taken when using it. Preventing your skin from coming in contact with it by wearing waterproof gloves and not breathing in any fumes by wearing a face mask is highly recommended. Formalin also can be harsh on the fish's gills and will quickly deplete oxygen from the water. DO NOT USE if a fish has fresh open wounds. In some areas, the purchase of formalin is prohibited.

Treating with Hyposalinity for 1 week is probably a safer way of dealing with prazi resistant worms: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hyposalinity.247596/

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to do hypo for flukes twice in the last 8 months. I've also read a handful of people asking for/giving info on doing hypo for them

Do you think they're adapting? I know they sit in sub therapeutic copper from the collector down the line, but do they bother with prazi?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think they're adapting? I know they sit in sub therapeutic copper from the collector down the line, but do they bother with prazi?

Some wholesalers I do business with have told me they use Prazipro (or another prazi product.) o_O

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strengthens the argument for at least a 30 day observation period following prophylactic QT treatment.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be useful to "overdose" GC, so that the Praziquantel reaches Prazi-Pro levels?

The problem is GC’s metronidazole concentration is already at the high end. So, you risk overdosing metro to bring the prazi concentration up to 2.5 mg/L.

What I’m going to start doing is using bulk prazi + metro powder to make my own concoction:

9.46 mg/gal (or 2.5 mg/L) praziquantel
25 mg/gal (or 6.6 mg/L) metronidazole

That’s the best of both worlds. ;) I wonder if I contacted API would they adjust their formula to match. o_O

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is GC’s metronidazole concentration is already at the high end. So, you risk overdosing metro to bring the prazi concentration up to 2.5 mg/L.

What I’m going to start doing is using bulk prazi + metro powder to make my own concoction:

9.46 mg/gal (or 2.5 mg/L) praziquantel
25 mg/gal (or 6.6 mg/L) metronidazole

That’s the best of both worlds. ;) I wonder if I contacted API would they adjust their formula to match. o_O
This sounds like a good idea.
  1. If you were to combine Seachem's Metroplex, which is an every other day treatment, and Prazipro, which is functionally out of the water in 3 days, how often would you suggest doing water changes?
  2. How much volume would be replaced?
  3. Considering you've found a higher amount of Brooklynella/Uronema being identified with incoming fish lately, would this combination possibly be a way to modify your general prophylactic method for any new fish (possibly trying 2 weeks with the combo, next Prazi only for 2 weeks, water change, add carbon and then on to 30 days of CP or Copper) or am I reaching too far to at this time?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. If you were to combine Seachem's Metroplex, which is an every other day treatment, and Prazipro, which is functionally out of the water in 3 days, how often would you suggest doing water changes?
  2. How much volume would be replaced?
  3. Considering you've found a higher amount of T being identified with incoming fish lately, would this combination possibly be a way to modify your general prophylactic method for any new fish (possibly trying 2 weeks with the combo, next Prazi only for 2 weeks, water change, add carbon and then on to 30 days of CP or Copper) or am I reaching too far to at this time?

I would dose Prazipro first, wait 3 days, do a 25% WC and then dose Metroplex. This protects from possible interaction issues with Prazipro.

To prophylactically treat for Brooklynella/Uronema, you have two options:
  1. Chloroquine phosphate
  2. Copper + Metronidazole; it would be optimal to dose the latter every 48 hrs for 10 days

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back