Puffer parasite ID?

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here I am kicking myself for not investing the time to quarantine my Leopard puffer (Canthigaster leoparda). Lesson learned.

I've had him in the tank for about 2 months now, eats like a pig (mysis soaked in Selcon, PE pellets, and Hikari pellets).

He is still very active, constantly picking at rocks, swimming fine, no head shaking/ abnormal behaviors.

So.. I first noticed that there was a clear worm-like poo a few weeks ago, but more alarmingly I spotted a lump near his mouth that is oval shaped, and has been growing in size (right side if facing him head on). It is somewhat hard to make out with the photos, but you can see a lump protruding from his 'snout' on one side. I can't help but think that this might be one of those parasitic isopods.

I just started a treatment of PraziPro in the display tank today, slightly above suggested dose. All fish and inverts seem fine so far (3 hours after dosing).

Could the lump be a goiter? Anyone have experience with symptoms regarding this ailment, or with other parasites that could be causing this?

Thanks for any insights!
20170801_125525.jpg
20170801_125939.jpg
20170801_125941.jpg

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I'm really hoping it's an abscess. Since the treatment, I spotted a long white stringy (parasite?) floating around the aquarium! It looks just like what I saw hanging out from the puffer's backside a week ago, so good so far with the prazipro.

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The puffer was originally just eating mysis for the first 2 weeks I had him- so the poo was white and stringy due to that as well. Now that he is eating mostly New Life Spectrum Marine pellets I'm curious to see what comes out when he's ready.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White stringy poop isn't something that is caused by eating primarily mysis. I feed all the fish at the shop mysis as a mainstay in their diet and none have white stringy poop unless they have intestinal worms. Metro + focus in the food will help with that.

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone aware of identifying a parasitic isopod versus an abscess on fish? Are there any preferred treatments for these?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone aware of identifying a parasitic isopod versus an abscess on fish? Are there any preferred treatments for these?

An isopod would leave (red) bite marks - look at any yellow fish. And they can crawl pretty fast.

An abscess is a fluid filled area of skin. So it will protrude outward and look like a bubble or growth (see below).

abcess-haleyf1024-jpg.464593

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If white stringy poop feed metroplex and focus. The advice was also strong regarding the abscess versus ugpod (Ugly pod) as I call them.

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, thanks for the info. At this point I haven't been able to witness any white or stringy poo from the puffer. I'm relieved to see it pass the intestinal worm with the Prazi treatment.

The lump on it's snout seems to keep growing, and is keeping an ovoid-shaped appearance (reminiscent of a body shape of an isopod). As I've heard in the past- an efficient parasite is one that doesn't kill its host (readily), and I cannot seem to find a safe treatment to deal with an "ugpod" if it is internal and in a place that I can't access to extract. So I will continue to observe and hope it's something that will resolve itself.

He hasn't shown any signs of degenerated health, in fact he seems to be more and more healthy since I've had him. So for now I will keep monitoring and treat accordingly- metro seems like a good option to cover all my basis but I can't justify it at this point (don't want to cause unnecessary stress).

OP
OP
SaltySteve

SaltySteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He definitely has shown ich symptoms (small white bumps that disappear and reappear on the body). The clownfish I have had (4 years old now) had dealt with ich before, but naturally seemed to build their own immunity/resistance to it- from continuous tank maintenance and proper feeding without any treatments. No other fish (sapphire damsel, yellow watchman, starry blenny) have ever shown symptoms of ich. So again, I guess I will keep observing till evident spreading/ deterioration of fish is observed.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back