Pukani Rock

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to buy dry Pukani, but reading this thread is making me nervous. I've read all about curing it, acid bath, LC and all the rest, but it sounds like these treatment methods are just a shot in the dark, not necessarily definative at resolving PO4 issues.

Should I just buy the Reef Saver and eliminate a potential Pukani nightmare?
I didn't have to do any of that.
upload_2017-8-30_13-3-48.png

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have to do any of that.
upload_2017-8-30_13-3-48.png

I just used GFO and a Hanna ULR checker and add 50 dry pounds of Pukani to my mature 180, in 3 months it is covered in coraline. If you just take care of the PO4, which isn't hard or a crazy amount, then all will be well. Also all new system will have some kind of bloom, most likely algae but if you address the causes it goes away on it own.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used pukani rock and i too have had nothing but various forms of algae issues, I wish I never used it.

Next year I'm going back to a bigger tank once my extension is complete and i won't be keeping any of my rock, but instead will go the live rock route

Razorback reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard Walt Smith isn't shipping any live rock anymore, international air freight just costs too much these days. He's only shipping it by the boat load and shipping dry artificial rock.

Some live rock coming in from Manado which you can get from premium aquatics and some coming in from Bali through Vast Oceans in the Seattle area.

Other than that, your stuck buying dry rock, recurred dry rock, or artificial rock.

Real Reef is a real ripoff considering they're not paying any air freight at all and still selling their rock at the same price as ocean harvested live rock.

Marco rock is very porous like pukani, but it has been land locked for thousands of years at least and any nutrients that was in it has long since been washed out.

Last edited:

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pukani is awesome and it is extremely easy to rid of po4.

1. Rinse aggressively with garden hose and physically remove any organic matter that you can.
2. Soak in vinegar for 48hrs (safer than muriatic acid and doesn't remove as much rock) to remove traces of organic matter. I might have neutralized the vinegar with baking soda at the end but sorry I forget.
3. Soak in RODI for 24hrs
4. Soak in heated mixed saltwater while dosing lanthanum chloride 2x/day while testing with Hanna ULR until no po4 is present. Can get LC as pool phosphate remover on amazon.

Took me less than a month both times I did it (took 2 weeks one time but I kept going for a month just in case) I also dosed microbacter7 simultaneously to kickstart bacteria. Zero po4/algae issues. Make sure you rinse the rock AGGRESSIVELY AND THOROUGHLY after using LC because it can harm your tank inhabitants.

It may sound like a lot but it's super easy and fun to see how clean the rock gets. LC is so much cheaper than crushing GFO as well.

Last edited:

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used pukani rock and i too have had nothing but various forms of algae issues, I wish I never used it.

Next year I'm going back to a bigger tank once my extension is complete and i won't be keeping any of my rock, but instead will go the live rock route

Live rock huh, yea, no body ever got algae from live rock.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pukani is awesome and it is extremely easy to rid of po4.

1. Rinse aggressively with garden hose and physically remove any organic matter that you can.
2. Soak in vinegar for 48hrs (safer than muriatic acid and doesn't remove as much rock) to remove traces of organic matter. I might have neutralized the vinegar with baking soda at the end but sorry I forget.
3. Soak in RODI for 24hrs
4. Soak in heated mixed saltwater while dosing lanthanum chloride 2x/day while testing with Hanna ULR until no po4 is present. Can get LC as pool phosphate remover on amazon.

Took me less than a month both times I did it (took 2 weeks one time but I kept going for a month just in case) I also dosed microbacter7 simultaneously to kickstart bacteria. Zero po4/algae issues. Make sure you rinse the rock AGGRESSIVELY AND THOROUGHLY after using LC because it can harm your tank inhabitants.

It may sound like a lot but it's super easy and fun to see how clean the rock gets. LC is so much cheaper than crushing GFO as well.

All in all I've got over 125 pounds of Pukani in my system. If you have algae after the system has matured at least a little well it's not the rocks fault.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've heard Walt Smith isn't shipping any live rock anymore, international air freight just costs too much these days. He's only shipping it by the boat load and shipping dry artificial rock.

Some live rock coming in from Manado which you can get from premium aquatics and some coming in from Bali through Vast Oceans in the Seattle area.

Other than that, your stuck buying dry rock, recurred dry rock, or artificial rock.

Real Reef is a real ripoff considering they're not paying any air freight at all and still selling their rock at the same price as ocean harvested live rock.

Marco rock is very porous like pukani, but it has been land locked for thousands of years at least and any nutrients that was in it has long since been washed out.

You just can't get actual live rock anymore. Tampa Bay Saltwater will sell you some and it is live rock but just not the same as the old days.

Sorry to say but "Live Rock" from a LFS isn't live rock at all. It's dry rock with Saltwater added. That's true. Even then it's not the good stuff, it's the cheap base rock that weights a ton.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just can't get actual live rock anymore. Tampa Bay Saltwater will sell you some and it is live rock but just not the same as the old days.

Sorry to say but "Live Rock" from a LFS isn't live rock at all. It's dry rock with Saltwater added. That's true. Even then it's not the good stuff, it's the cheap base rock that weights a ton.
It's been two years since I worked for one of the big three wholesaler in Los Angeles. At that time we still sold real live rock from Walt Smith and it was definitely live. Since it's been two years though, I suppose it's possible that it's not coming in anymore but that would really be a sad thing for the hobby IMO.
You are missing out on a ton of bio diversity and just plain cool stuff running dry dead Rock. Honestly, this sounds like a good potential business venture. Air freight is really not all that expensive and considering what they are charging for dead Rock and fake painted Rock it could still be a good value. I dunno. I need to talk to some store owners.

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used all Pukani. When I got the rock it had all sorts of dead crap in it. Crabs and all. I dipped it in muriatic acid, used baking soda, rinsed, bleached, salt water for month WC. Never had any algae issues.
I can barely raise my nitrates and phos.
Best looking rock and so easy to build structures using rods.

SwagKilla007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pukani's ability to hold large amounts of water and surface area for biofilm to reproduce is unprecedented. Especially for the price. The only downfall is the detritus that arrives on the rock. A muriatic acid bath takes care of this issue quickly and easily. Striping away at a few layers of the rock takes a majority of the contaminants out of the rock IMO. Never had any issues with Pukani AFTER performing an acid bath. I've only heard other aquarist having issues if they don't utilize the bath.

jrb1021

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank (150 display, 75 sump, plumbed 40 frag tank connected) is set up with pukani. It's beautiful, light, porous, and easy to arrange. It IS a huge hassle to clean initially, but once that's done, I think the advantages outweigh any disadvantage.

Merv49

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a Hanna ULR Phosphorus Checker, and BRS high capacity GFO or LC (PhosphateRX) if you do it right. Measure the PO4 levels and if you have any detectable amount and algae growth run GFO or LC. Also some carbon dosing or cheato fuge/algae reactor wouldn't hurt. Pukani is the best rock, but you need to rid it of the PO4 right away so you don't have these problem. I added 50 pounds dry Pukani to my 180 and got a little outbreak but got on top of the PO4 right away and it went away on its own in about 4 weeks.
I'm new to reeling but I watched BRS video on curing pukani and instead of curing for months I put all my rock for my 200 gallon tank in brute garbage cans for three weeks, soaking in household bleach. I put my tank in service July 1st and I have yet to grow any algae except for the bloom of that brown algae that lasted only two weeks.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Pukani rock in my tank this time, and have had some algae problems but I think it is slowing greatly now. I started a fuge and I throw out Cheato about every 3 to 5 days algae has for sure slowed down

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to reeling but I watched BRS video on curing pukani and instead of curing for months I put all my rock for my 200 gallon tank in brute garbage cans for three weeks, soaking in household bleach. I put my tank in service July 1st and I have yet to grow any algae except for the bloom of that brown algae that lasted only two weeks.

Yea, that works too

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Here is my two cents for what its worth. I have about 250 lbs. of the Pukani dry rock between two tanks. I love the look of the rock, but more important for me is its bio capability. I did an acid bath, followed by two days of bleaching - changing the water each day with fresh bleach. It still took about six months for it to stop leaching phosphate. During this time my tank fully cycled, protein skimmer broke in, and went thru all the algae blooms. Pukani dry rock is definately not for the 'I want my tank perfect tomorrow crowd'.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back