Purchasing custom tank - TEMPERED OR NON-TEMPERED??

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can try reaching @TaylorPilot from Exotic Marine Systems but I'm not sure if he still does custom work to match his overflows to existing holes like he has in the past.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Modular Marine and the guy said he is going on vacation until mid September.

So this really just sucks and I’m honestly sick of all the emails back and forth. I don’t like not being able to speak on the phone with somebody when planning all these measurements. First time was exhausting and now I have to do it all over again MAYBE sometime next month.

Anyone know of a better overflow than Modular Marine where I can actually speak to someone?

Oh, the back is non-tempered.

You might be able to contact Exotic Marine Systems who specialize in custom overflows as well or Fiji Cube...

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

I’m going to wait and talk to Custom Aquariums on Monday.

If they do right, a good review is not out of the question.

My expectation at this point is for them to offer me a significant discount/refund as well as paying for a new overflow that will fit the messed up holes.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and stay positive (Which I know is asking ALOT), it might be hard to pull a discount AND have them pay for a new overflow. BUT it's definitely worth a shot, I'm sure CA will make it right some how.

When the dust settles it still looks like you have a beautiful aquarium and once it's all up and running hopefully you can forget about all this stressful stuff and focus on taking some awesome pictures of your tank to share with us.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I read through the whole thing and was like.cool.he decided on a nice tank... wow it looks great....maybe I should order mine from them...nooooo they drilled it wrong....

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I read through the whole thing and was like.cool.he decided on a nice tank... wow it looks great....maybe I should order mine from them...nooooo they drilled it wrong....
Stay tuned....

I wouldn’t recommend writing them off just yet. I will keep you guys updated on how they handle this.

The tank itself is gorgeous. Silicone and glass is beautiful. Aluminum frame is very nice.

The holes are 1/8” off center to center and one hole is 3/32” higher than it should have been.

It really is a shame I can’t get it to fit since the bulkheads fit so snug through the 60mm holes.

In the end, it will work out, I’m sure, just more waiting, but oh well, I don’t even have my sump ordered yet!

Still trying to decide on a 60 inch sump from Synergy Reef or something else.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An option I see without actually seeing everything is to dremel the threads on the bulkhead fitting/s at the base of the bulkhead to give that little wiggle room necessary to get your weir level. Of course this is after you have received a discount and/or not able to exchange your overflow.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An option I see without actually seeing everything is to dremel the threads on the bulkhead fitting/s at the base of the bulkhead to give that little wiggle room necessary to get your weir level. Of course this is after you have received a discount and/or not able to exchange your overflow.

This is a good idea.

I will keep this in mind if all else fails.

I want them to pay for me to have a new overflow made by Modular Marine that fits properly.

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Custom Aquariums just got back to me and their solution is to send me bulkheads where they shaved the threads off to make it fit.

Is this an acceptable solution for a $3,500 dollar custom tank?
I guess that's an acceptable solution if it works? I still don't see how they messed up the drilling in the first place.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a hard one to say what is a good move or not. They may be thinking about a way to make this work without further delay for you.

1/8 on center and 3/32 is more than enough to drive me nuts as well so I understand. At the same time the proposal seems like it would work. You could overcome the 1/8" by the shaved threads and level out the 3/32 with the threads as well. So it would allow you to mount the overflow, level the overflow, wouldn't introduce any reason for leaks if it is just the threads and wouldn't compromise the glass as well as not cause much delay. So it feels kinda like a win other than going back in time and having it drilled to spec of course.

It's obviously up to you, but I would tell them to go ahead and send them and if (and ONLY IF) you can verify this works and doesn't leak etc. to your satisfaction then you will accept it. This way you leave open oppty for further adjustment if that doesn't work.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom Aquariums has agreed to pay to have a new overflow built by Modular Marine.

I’ve been working with Bob Pontow from the beginning and he has been great to work with.

I still need to do a leak test on the tank as soon as I finish reinforcing the floor in my crawl space.

I dug down a 1 foot deep form for each footing and poured concrete to make 3 piers for some post jacks to sit on.

Next I’m going to install a 4x6 header opposite direction of the floor joists.

It’s a great spot for the tank because the back of the tank is right over a load bearing stem wall.

The new footings I just put in span under the front of the tank so that 4x6 header I’m putting in will be right underneath the front of the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to issue payment for my overflow, Custom Aquariums is asking me to sign a resolution that starts off with:

“Custom Aquariums realizes that though hole placement is within documented tolerances that the overflow ordered through Modular Marine does not work with the hole placement on the aquarium”......

Although they have agreed to pay for the overflow, I’m a little taken back in their unwillingness to admit fault.

Have any of you heard of a hole tolerance of 1/8” for a custom aquarium?

I responded asking where the “documented tolerance” is because I haven’t seen it nor did I sign anything of the sort.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back