Purigen?

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot compete with the scientific responses you've received but I can speak from experience. I run Purigen in my tank and would not run one without it. I also run a mix of bituminous and lignite carbon and sometimes I run Seagel. My tank is a dedicated seahorse tank and I feed large cubes of frozen mysis 2-3x's PER DAY. It's imperative for the health of my seahorses to keep organics very low to prevent bacteria from growing. I also run a skimmer rated for almost 200g although my tank is a sumped 60. My trates never exceed 10 which is high for my tank but normally test in at 2.5 and phos stays between 0-.03. I have mostly soft corals, gorgs, and macro. No LPS or SPS. I do have one NPS in the system too. I definitely can tell when the Purigen is exhausted as nuisance algae will start showing up. Keeping seahorses is a unique and delicate balance with the amount of food they eat, the frequency and the mess they make because they masticate their food too. Good luck in your search for answers.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CaptainsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to control Amonia in a 30g QT and the LFS suggested Purigen. First of all, how long does it take to clear the Ammonia and second, is it safe to use with Prime?

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to control Amonia in a 30g QT and the LFS suggested Purigen. First of all, how long does it take to clear the Ammonia and second, is it safe to use with Prime?

Well, Purigen itself does not remove ammonia. It removes dissolved particulates before they can be broken down into ammonia by bacteria. I say this, because, if you are having Ammonia issues specifically with fish or corals in your tank, it's more or less an "emergent" issue that needs to be addressed directly. So to answer your question, Purigen won't clear ammonia, but it will help prevent more ammonia from forming.

To be honest, I would recommend zeolite if you are in an emergency situation and need ammonia removed. Some people will say that it's completely useless in saltwater however they are incorrect. It does remove ammonia in saltwater according to studies I've seen and will be happy to provide.

Also Purigen is definitely safe to use with Prime.

OP
OP
B

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There should be no ammonia in the system! This may be an emergency! To remove ammonia fast just add some drops of vodka to the tank. The ammonia will be assimilated. ( if the problem is not caused by lack of one ore more essential building materials) Why ammonia Is present? Algae growth? Nitrification capacity!? Is nitrate produced in this system?
If the ammonia build up is controlled by vodka dosing one has to continue dosing. Then some nitrification capacity has to be installed by slowely build of the vodka dosing.
If the ammonia is not removed by vodka dosing then you have a more serious problem. This means the system is stripped . add some f2 media! Downrate the skimmer? feeding!
Using purigen? is an absorber. Will not solve the problem as ammonia is only an indicator, not the cause.

If one would install a nitrifying bio filter from the start this would not happen!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 50 42.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 26 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.1%

Back