PVC and Eels

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you all set up tunnles with pvc for eels?
-Burried under the substrate/above
-How long to span
-do you siphon the inside from time to time
-anything else to consider?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you all set up tunnles with pvc for eels?
-Burried under the substrate/above
-How long to span
-do you siphon the inside from time to time
-anything else to consider?
When we built our aggressive tank at the old house, we put pipes all over the place for the eel. The pipes sit under the rocks and in the rocks. We did not create any 3 or 4 way joints though. Always worried me with keeping them clean. To clean, we just blew out with an mj1200. The pipes all had 45s for turns and 45s at the entryway/exit way and we’re slightly above the sand. The eel loved it and would go from one to the other when cruising around.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of eel(s), I've never found it necessary in most cases. I do have pvc for my ribbon eel but mainly because I had to move him to a mature tank that wasn't built for him. Building natural caves and pathways along the back way is much better in my opinion. If you are decided on pvc, built under the substrate and rocks built on top is much nicer. Depending on the type of eel you could be using a large diameter pvc which will take alot to cover. If the eel actually does use the pvc, his travels will clean it out so there is nothing for you to do. Occasionally if you don't provide a large enough, or too large pvc, or for whatever reason; some won't use it, then there's a problem with dietritus.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly research, it would be a snowflake eels more likely since they are smaller. Maybe a skeltor moray (something in the Echidna family) but more likely the snowflake. What would be a good diameter for the pvc? Some of the caves already get occupied so looking to add more options to avoid territory aggression. There is already so much rock in the tank, not too much more floor space to occupy.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For pvc diameter I would do 2". How do you plan to run it, it's somewhat tricky in a tank already scaped. While I like 3 openings for my eel, my ribbon lives in a simple 2 opening, one in the front of the tank, one in the back side of the tank, I can observe him from each opening. You can use 45 degree connectors to maneuver through rocks and a 45 at the openings to lend to a more natural look. I am not happy with the pvc for my ribbon because I didn't plan on putting him in this tank and there wasn't much room for me to maneuver.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thought was to snake it between the rocks and overhangs. Have 1 opening on the right side of the tank, the other in the front right. If possible, I can use a T or Y fitting and have 2 openings in the front both left and right side. Then try to bury it in the substrate and use black/gray fittings as openings, so its not as much as an eye sore.

OP
OP
Goodair

Goodair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Circles would be openings, 2 in front, 1 in back right where I can still see inside it.
20190920_015021.jpg

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pvc tunnel under my substrate with rock on top. Works very well and the eel loves it. No need to clean it really as your clean up crew, pods etc with take care of that for you. Size the Pvc to a tight fit for full grown size both girth and length. If you get the eel when it's smaller it may not use the Pvc tunnel until it grows into it as they like tight spaces. The Pvc tunnel is nice because you can position an entrance towards the front of the tank where you'll generally be able to see it hanging out (vs it hiding somewhere in the rocks). You can glue sand and rock rubble to the entrance for a natural look. My tunnel looks just like a rock cave really and you can't see any pvc.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few reference photos if it helps visualize. I used 2" PVC for a skeletor eel. In the video which is a bit old now he's still only about half grown. He's nearly double that size today and fills out the tunnel nicely now. The tunnel is about 2' long which fits his full grown length perfectly.

Font entrance
IMG_20180107_184127.jpg

Back Entrance
IMG_20180107_184044.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back