QT Tank Breakdown / Cleaning

Hurdbird88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved my first fish, whitetail Bristletooth tang to second, sterile QT tank after copper treatment for 14 days per Hotrocks method. I want to start another batch of fish in first QT in a week or so. Can I just do a large water change or original QT tank to reduce copper and clean up the water or do I have to break down, sterilize tank and all equipment with vinegar and start over?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moved my first fish, whitetail Bristletooth tang to second, sterile QT tank after copper treatment for 14 days per Hotrocks method. I want to start another batch of fish in first QT in a week or so. Can I just do a large water change or original QT tank to reduce copper and clean up the water or do I have to break down, sterilize tank and all equipment with vinegar and start over?

I always break down the qt and start over between batches of fish but I’m no expert. Don’t know what kind of copper u use but the one I use, or the test kit (can’t remember) specifically says you can consider copper gone 30days AFTER it tests 0.

Also helps in case any disease survived in there :)

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally prefer to error on the side of being safe when it comes to diseases in our hobby. If you have the time, clean and start over for a better piece of mind. I pour some bleach into the tank and let it run through the HOB filter and circulate around all the PVC pieces, decorations, and heater in the tank (remove seachem ammonia alert badge before this, though)...drain the water...rinse with tap water...then wipe down with vinegar...rinse again in tap water and let air dry while all my filter pieces/PVC/decorations/heater also soak in a vinegar/water solution for at least 24hrs. I rinse my seachem ammonia alert badge in RODI water and wipe clean as much as possible, then store in a cup of RODI water for next use...I understand I am taking a little risk there possibly.

There will be others that say go ahead and place the fish in after a water change...but if you have the time, why not clean it out?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sterilization is a great practice for sure.

I don't usually sterilize a copper QT every single batch. Usually every 2-3 batches of fish.

If I have a bacterial infection present (especially gram-) I would sterilize no matter what between batches.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 38 36.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 56 53.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 3.8%
Back