Question about PAR and general lighting

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a 4 ft, Innovative Marine EXT 100 tank, and lighting consists of 2 AI 32 HDs on the rail. They are 11 inches off the surface of the water. My goal is LPS/Softies only, and then I have a few BTA's. Over the last couple of weeks, I have had a few LPS losses. I'm wondering if my lighting is maybe to blame. Right now, I have a torch at about 250 PAR losing a head, and a Hammer coral at about 150 PAR is losing a head as well. My parameters are:
Nitrate: 20
Phosphate: 0.1
Salinity: 35
Temp: 77.5
Alk: 9.9
Calc: 460
Mag: 1350

I'm ok lowering my lighting intensity, or raising/lower my lights, but I just want to make sure my BTAs are happy. Any thoughts?

received_209802043954495.jpeg received_3902941956464216.jpeg received_857847498422733.jpeg received_957679308320590.jpeg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing seems that bad at all your numbers look pretty good. When you look at your euphyllia corals you are losing do you see any signs of brown jelly our anything abnormal.

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing seems that bad at all your numbers look pretty good. When you look at your euphyllia corals you are losing do you see any signs of brown jelly our anything abnormSo
So 3 weeks ago, i went on a weekend trip. Came back, and my scoly was receding (since died), and one small hammer frag appeared to have brown jelly. I pulled it out, and tossed it. Everything has been good, except the last few days, I've noticed that 1 head of my hammer has been bailing (just pulled today). and other heads have gaping mouths.

I was thinking maybe my lighting is too intense for my tank. Not sure. I have a PAR meter rental for the next couple days, so was thinking of reducing the lights based on the readings I posted here.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 3 weeks ago, i went on a weekend trip. Came back, and my scoly was receding (since died), and one small hammer frag appeared to have brown jelly. I pulled it out, and tossed it. Everything has been good, except the last few days, I've noticed that 1 head of my hammer has been bailing (just pulled today). and other heads have gaping mouths.

I was thinking maybe my lighting is too intense for my tank. Not sure. I have a PAR meter rental for the next couple days, so was thinking of reducing the lights based on the readings I posted here.
Hmm it could have spread, do you have any pictures of the corals that are struggling? Also I’ve never owned a torch but have a few hammers and frogspawn at the moment and they are all in the 100 par range.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, in general, LPS like to be in 75-150 PAR.Not saying that's the issue you're having, but it couldn't hurt to get things dialed in a bit better for what you're keeping.

Have you watched the BRS video on the 32HD? They recommended a 14" mounting height off the water and 13" on center from each end of the tank to maximize spread and minimize hotspots on a 48" tank.

From there I would just recommend adjusting your peak intensities to meet your PAR goals. i.e. Get it to 75-80-ish on the sandbed and everything else will probably fall right in line.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back