question on Algae growing on coral

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What can i do to stop the Algae growing on this coral,Im new to these kinds of coral and not sure what i can do,not sure if im able to keep these or not Ihave a 6 bulb T-5 but these corals look brown all the time or white.

Please advise.
Thanks
This is the same piece of coral but the purple is when i bought it,sure dont look like that in my tank.Mine is the green white looking one now..
any idea what its called also?

Attachments

• 2012-12-04 18.54.36.jpg
    2012-12-04 18.54.36.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 952
  • 1%20(40).jpg
    1%20(40).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,055
OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your tank parameters including nitrates and phosphates?
Nitrates-0
and PO is .10
now this is just using the API test kit,i know i need to get better kit to get more accurate ,also im not sure if im over feeding my fish but there always looking hungry

I try my best to keep it clean and dont get much other algae other then on this coral..

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other successful sps?
Def need to test alk stability for sps issues.
Also that Phos reading is high.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates-0
and PO is .10
now this is just using the API test kit,i know i need to get better kit to get more accurate ,also im not sure if im over feeding my fish but there always looking hungry

I try my best to keep it clean and dont get much other algae other then on this coral..

Fish always act hungry. They wont stop eating and overfeeding will just lead to problems. A good rule is fish stomach is about sizze of its eye so try to feed small keeping that in mind. Just feed 2-3 times a day in small ammounts.

Po is high and you need a bettet kit to test po to keep it low for sps. My fav is a hanna checker for po. U want it in the .03-.05 range .1 and higher leads to algae and slow growth and lack of color

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have other successful sps?
Def need to test alk stability for sps issues.
Also that Phos reading is high.
Nope thats the only piece i have ,I didnt want to get into SPS untill i could handle the others,Others are fine but i know u got to have very clean water and im wondering if i have to many fish,will that do it.
I do have a dual reactor running Phos and carbon.Hard to tell PO since its the chart i use,maybe i nee to invest in a better gauge...casue i know its not the yellow but not as dark green as the .25 on the chart..What would be the best unit to get to test PO

Sorry for all the questions

Saltwatercoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it out and smell it. I know this sounds funny but... If it smell real bad then it may already be dead. What the lighting you have it under and flow as well?

Sorry just saw the light, but how far up or down is it on your rock work? Where did you place it when you first put it in your tank?

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish always act hungry. They wont stop eating and overfeeding will just lead to problems. A good rule is fish stomach is about sizze of its eye so try to feed small keeping that in mind. Just feed 2-3 times a day in small ammounts.

Po is high and you need a bettet kit to test po to keep it low for sps. My fav is a hanna checker for po. U want it in the .03-.05 range .1 and higher leads to algae and slow growth and lack of color

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for that info. OMG im feeing way to much,my trigger can eat like a horse..

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry just saw the light, but how far up or down is it on your rock work? Where did you place it when you first put it in your tank?

well my tank is 20 inch deep, and light is 4 inch above water so i had it first half way down,then about month later i moved it up to 4 inch below water thats where its at now

OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it out and smell it. I know this sounds funny but... If it smell real bad then it may already be dead. What the lighting you have it under and flow as well?
I can see the little flowers or whatever ya call them coming out and when i touch it with something they go in..

always reefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe SPS likes a little lower Alk 7.5-8, with stable being key. Might not be your problem, just saying. Have you had any ALK swings recently?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Budman's Corals

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe SPS likes a little lower 7.5-8, with stable being key. Might not be your problem, just saying. Have you had any ALK swings recently?
yeah it did drop to 8 last week,but would that casue the algae to be getting on it or is it mostly my overfeeding,If fish only need to eat about the size of there eye well im feeding mine way to much i usually goive 4 or 5 that amount in morning and in evening'

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stability is the most important part for alk and sps not really a specific number but it needs to stay constant. which is why i like using kalk in my ato instead of once a day 2 part dosing. if you use 2 part make sure its with dosing pumps and a controller so you can deliver it slowly several times a day. if you only dose once a day its to much swing for me. im sure people are having success doing out of the pump bottles but if you only dose once daily you just get to much swing for me depending on how much you need. if your demand is low then it will be fine. but full blown sps colonies you could loose a ton of alk in a day and dosing at once causes a big spike up quickly.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
Back