Questions on Stand Design

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of planning a custom stand for a 48X24 60 gallon shallow lagoon-style reef. I've been doing a lot of research on stand construction and read through the @RocketEngineer thread/designs. I'm looking to build an open stand with a bottom shelf that resembles a modern console table. Below is a picture of exactly what I had in mind. I understand most DIYer's stand construction involves 2x4s stacked on TOP of 2x4 legs for eliminating any screws carrying the load. The below design is built more like a kitchen cabinet/table.

My plan was to use a combo of 4x4s and 2x4s. Are there any structural considerations here? I'm not an engineer but comfortable with woodworking. I would have to guess all weight is going to be distributed/carried to the four legs. The 4 side pieces are acting mainly to hold everything together? Those corner braces (love the looks of them) also help transfer weight from the cross pieces to the floor. Am I wrong in my thinking here?

Since I'm not wrapping this (AIO sumpless build), I want to avoid exposed screws on the face of the stand. I'm considering using pocket screws as needed.

Here is the original build thread for reference: https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/327282-bretts-shallow-reef/

Any help/insight is appreciated.

dc1c2520-9158-4494-9a44-bb976da48af1_zps69df630c.jpg.86bf5350b46d07d978d0e4ef7edbf7e7.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have access to quality 4x4's.....furniture grade....I'd stay away from them. This is especially true if you're source is one of those big box stores where their 4x4's are center cut and would have the tendency to twist, turn and warp over time.

Since you're comfortable with woodworking, avoid screws/nails holding load. To rephrase, if you don't wish to use the top frame to legs load transfer as shown in @RocketEngineer 's plan:

Stand (1).JPG

Consider more a post and beam (mortise and tenon) construction or lap joint so load isn't supported by the fasteners, as show in the picture you provided....those corner braces are supporting load by the fasteners.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swilliams2207

swilliams2207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have access to quality 4x4's.....furniture grade....I'd stay away from them. This is especially true if you're source is one of those big box stores where their 4x4's are center cut and would have the tendency to twist, turn and warp over time.

Since you're comfortable with woodworking, avoid screws/nails holding load. To rephrase, if you don't wish to use the top frame to legs load transfer as shown in @RocketEngineer 's plan:

Stand (1).JPG

Consider more a post and beam (mortise and tenon) construction or lap joint so load isn't supported by the fasteners, as show in the picture you provided....those corner braces are supporting load by the fasteners.
These are premium grade Douglas fir from a local lumber yard. I can notch the 4x4s so all load is straight to the legs, it just increases risk of splitting when screwing (can prob get away with smaller screws in that scenario). I’m just curious how much that is necessary given it’s a “smaller” tank. I’d love to simply adopt your referenced design above but I’m not sure I can pull it off as a finished look on it’s own. Appreciate the help!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back