Radion G5s are diffusers mandatory?

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally upgraded from my second hand Kessil AP700 I started with three years ago and purchased x3 Radion GR XR15s. On the whole I am very impressed with the light, the output is phenmonal, my tank is glowing! However my biggest complaint is the disco ball effect on my sand.

The Kessil while not very powerful had zero disco ball effect. I expected paying over a grand for Radions their blending would be more smooth. I eventually broke down and spent another hundred for diffusers (which are CRAZY overpriced). But they did smooth out the light, no more disco ball.

I'm just curious for those running G5 Radions, did you have a simialar experencie, because to me it feels like the Ecotech should ship them standard with diffusers.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I looked at was.. I already spent 1200 on 2 lights and mounts. What's another 50 bucks?

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light looks a ton better with the diffuser on it. I have 2 G5 xr15s and won't ever take the diffusers back off of them.

I totally agree here! Aside from smoothing out the light blending they just look so slick with the diffusers. In fact when I see them without diffusers and the LEDs are all exposed, it looks unfinished to me.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally upgraded from my second hand Kessil AP700 I started with three years ago and purchased x3 Radion GR XR15s. On the whole I am very impressed with the light, the output is phenmonal, my tank is glowing! However my biggest complaint is the disco ball effect on my sand.

The Kessil while not very powerful had zero disco ball effect. I expected paying over a grand for Radions their blending would be more smooth. I eventually broke down and spent another hundred for diffusers (which are CRAZY overpriced). But they did smooth out the light, no more disco ball.

I'm just curious for those running G5 Radions, did you have a simialar experencie, because to me it feels like the Ecotech should ship them standard with diffusers.
I think the disco ball effect is related to how deep the tank is and how high the light is mounted.

The higher the light can be mounted, the less likely it is that a diffuser is needed. If you're only 6-8in over a shallow tank, you'll probably get some disco ball effect and need a diffuser.

But I totally agree that it should come in the box for how much these things cost

Nickolas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiya, I was worried about discoball effect so I spoke to a rep from brs and he said the effect was really only an issue in gens 4 (and back im guessing). I went ahead and bought the xr15s and havent noticed discoball but those lights are bright as hell so might make it easier on the eyes to get a diffuser if theyre gonna be above your eye level

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting some printed shades for mine. The light spill into the room is pretty irritating at times. I say the same thing about that. As much as the things cost why not have a shade of some type instead of leaving it to hobbyists to to fix it for them?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, if the light mounting height didn't change, adding the diffuser to Radion Gen 5 actually make it spread less. This is what I found when testing it in my tank. The reason was, the diffuser didn't really improve diffusing much. But it effectively bring the light down by 1cm.

Secondly, the disco effect is quite minimal. If I really look for it, I can find some, but I have to look for it. The more obvious effect is a sort of scattering effect. Similar to disco effect, but no obvious color break down, only dark/bright difference. It's basically very dense shimmer lines. Adding diffuser will get rid of them. But I don't find them bothering. I really notice the difference when I putting it on or off. After a day I don't notice anymore.

Frenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked by how visible the disco ball effect was when first running my twin xr15 pros. Very visible on the sand bed and the reflected light on the wall.

I’d obviously read reviews first, and they all said the problem had been largely fixed. Mind you, same reviews said they were silent too.

Diffusers are mandatory for my setup using the rms mounts that’s for sure.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the disco ball effect has anything to do with the intensity level? Higher intensity more disco? Anyone have an idea

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 G5 XR15s with the diffusers in my opinion it makes a big difference but super happy with them
20210915_182252.jpg

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if the disco ball effect has anything to do with the intensity level? Higher intensity more disco? Anyone have an idea
I think its more spectrum. If your running reds and greens your going to see them. Red was very noticeable on mine. Although I haven't seen any complaints from the xr15 blue version so maybe the amount of blues in that fixture wash out the other colors.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am using the AB+ program with 2 15's and a 30 and honestly do not know what the disco effect is.
I like the "splash guard" reference but before I commit to the purchase (about the cheapest this Eco sells - smile) has anyone checked PAR with and without diffusion? am I wasting electricity by having to turn up the lights for same PAR?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am using the AB+ program with 2 15's and a 30 and honestly do not know what the disco effect is.
I like the "splash guard" reference but before I commit to the purchase (about the cheapest this Eco sells - smile) has anyone checked PAR with and without diffusion? am I wasting electricity by having to turn up the lights for same PAR?
I have and didn't see a significant drop in par. It actually evened out the hot spots under the lights a little more.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back