Radion Gen5 XR15/XR30 Observations and Issues

deahttub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some accuse me of being some sort of EcoTech hater for saying such things. I don’t hate them at all they have made good products. I’m just pointing out what should be an evident observation. Some want to be able to say they are the first to have the newest and greatest product to be released. Which is fine if that’s what you want. But, I think for what you are paying for to have such things it should work properly. I don’t understand why people in this hobby are ok with getting new releases that have all these issues. It should have been found in the testing. A few random bugs that show up here and there, but full on most of the users? Having to disassemble a new product from the box for being cracked? The customers have become the testers and the world excepts it. And it’s not just with aquarium products sadly.

i havent had to replace the housing on my 3 G5’s....mobius isnt perfect but it is functional...

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some accuse me of being some sort of EcoTech hater for saying such things. I don’t hate them at all they have made good products. I’m just pointing out what should be an evident observation. Some want to be able to say they are the first to have the newest and greatest product to be released. Which is fine if that’s what you want. But, I think for what you are paying for to have such things it should work properly. I don’t understand why people in this hobby are ok with getting new releases that have all these issues. It should have been found in the testing. A few random bugs that show up here and there, but full on most of the users? Having to disassemble a new product from the box for being cracked? The customers have become the testers and the world excepts it. And it’s not just with aquarium products sadly.

I have been saying similar for sometime to all your points. I just don't get it hiw some jump to their defence suggesting sending parts to you to replace as some how making them out not such a bad company. Not sure about the US but in the UK fixing things yourself will nullify your guarantee and often there is a warning with the product to that effect.
To me Echotec are treating their customers like mugs and I believe if they did any kind of meaningful testing then they will have known about the issues. Sorry that does not add up to a good company in my book.

RayDRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been saying similar for sometime to all your points. I just don't get it hiw some jump to their defence suggesting sending parts to you to replace as some how making them out not such a bad company. Not sure about the US but in the UK fixing things yourself will nullify your guarantee and often there is a warning with the product to that effect.
To me Echotec are treating their customers like mugs and I believe if they did any kind of meaningful testing then they will have known about the issues. Sorry that does not add up to a good company in my book.
The warranty statement is a good point. I will be contacting Ecotech on Monday.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i havent had to replace the housing on my 3 G5’s....mobius isnt perfect but it is functional...
If your not having issues than that’s great.
The warranty statement is a good point. I will be contacting Ecotech on Monday.
They say on the website that the warranty will not change. That would be an interesting litigation to witness if needed.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked ecotech what would happen to my warranty since they are asking me to open up the light to replace the frame. THey said since they were asking me to open up the light, my warranty would not be affected.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked ecotech what would happen to my warranty since they are asking me to open up the light to replace the frame. THey said since they were asking me to open up the light, my warranty would not be affected.
Should that read m, as we ate informing you to repair it yourself we will allow you and providing you dont do any damage in the process we will not penalize you further for doing so.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i specfically mentioned what if i damaged it during the process and they said i was covered.

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Curious what everyone's manufacture dates are when experiencing issues. My XR30 was manufactured April 14th, a day after ETM's post acknowledging the issues and fixing them going forward. My light was received without any cracking and packing included foam support (not just the cardboard). So far I have no frame cracking and the fan noise I cannot hear over my overflow (which is pretty quiet). I just started it up, so we'll see how it is in 2 more weeks of running full time.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found the solution to the loud fan. just add another light so i can run them down at 35%. lol

deahttub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what everyone's manufacture dates are when experiencing issues. My XR30 was manufactured April 14th, a day after ETM's post acknowledging the issues and fixing them going forward. My light was received without any cracking and packing included foam support (not just the cardboard). So far I have no frame cracking and the fan noise I cannot hear over my overflow (which is pretty quiet). I just started it up, so we'll see how it is in 2 more weeks of running full time.

i have 3. One made 4/1 and 2 4/9 and no cracking issues...yet...

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, has anyone looked into consumer protection laws for your states? I am pretty sure that the PLACE YOU BOUGHT THEM FROM are obligated to take returns and give refunds on defective items. A company claiming open box fees on defective items is feeding you a line.. Not positive but unless the law has changed, The seller and not the manufacturer is responsible to refund if you return crappy products, that includes things like missing screws etc. The company then makes amends with the manufacturer. I think I will verify this .. to make sure I didnt just talk out my hiney. But I know it used to be this way.. If you bought something fromTarget or Sears or Walmart OR AMAZON it certainly works that way. Mail order is not different, it then falls into federal laws due to interstate commerce.. But again, things may have changed that I dont know about. Want to make a point, return them. and cry foul if they claim they are not responsible.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wont buy from marine depot anymore becuase they never take the returns. when i get a product with an issue they tell me to goto the manufacture. i'm like ummm i bought it from you not the manufacture, you fix the problem.

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i wont buy from marine depot anymore becuase they never take the returns. when i get a product with an issue they tell me to goto the manufacture. i'm like ummm i bought it from you not the manufacture, you fix the problem.

Charge back on your credit card.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i know we've all been having issues w/ the G5 lights. But there is a very big positive here. The customer support is fantastic at ecotech marine. Even w/ their sister company AI, I've always had fantastic customer service. In comparison to Neptune or Kessil, this is a huge positive to me.

Amaroq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, seeing all this really reinforces me to that its never a good idea to buy the latest and greatest versions of equipment. Whether it be Ecotech, Neptune, Apple, Samsung or various other brands, it seems quite rare for brands to have smooth product rollouts now a days. I will gladly sit back and let others guinea pig the newest iterations of products for me so I can make an educated decision on where my money goes. I can't imagine spending that kind of money and run into any headaches or hassles.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, seeing all this really reinforces me to that its never a good idea to buy the latest and greatest versions of equipment. Whether it be Ecotech, Neptune, Apple, Samsung or various other brands, it seems quite rare for brands to have smooth product rollouts now a days. I will gladly sit back and let others guinea pig the newest iterations of products for me so I can make an educated decision on where my money goes. I can't imagine spending that kind of money and run into any headaches or hassles.
Exactly and what I have been saying for a few years now. The consumer as far as Aquatics is concerned are the testers of equipment with what appears to be an attitude to over charge the customer buy building into the price a % for fixes and get him to reveal the bugs. Win win for the manufacturer and IMO it's a con against the consumer.
Just imagine if a manufacturer built in a % cost for failures and issues only for the new product to work spot on right out the box.
A light is a very simple thing with not so many parts to say a washing machine. Would people be happy if their brand new expensive washing had a malfunctioning programmer and the casing cracking? How long would you wait for a repair or a fix and would you be happy for the manufacturer to send you replacement parts to DIY. My guess most would be on to the retailer telling them to remove this piece of junk so they could buy a different one.
Maybe the aquarist is more forgiving, it certainly seems that way to me, and maybe the manufacturer knows this so continues to offer products at the time not ready for retail sale.
Has anybody returned their light and asked for their money back under their legal right?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell you guys how it ended up with my 4 G5’s. I fought a constant issue of them turning on by themselves or the schedule changing and also all 4 cracked. I documented it all through email with Ecotech. I got to the point I no longer wanted the lights and Ecotech would not provide a return authorization. I contacted AMEX and provided all of the documentation showing the products were defective and Ecotech’s acknowledgment. AMEX responded back the next day authorizing payment back to me. I contacted who I bought them from and let them know I would return the lights with new covers for a full credit or proceed with AMEX, they were perfectly fine excepting the return so they could fight with Ecotech. I’ve never had to do this type of process but I’m glad it’s past me.

RayDRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 are 03 March. Both have cracks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back