Radion Gen5 XR15/XR30 Observations and Issues

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, seeing all this really reinforces me to that its never a good idea to buy the latest and greatest versions of equipment. Whether it be Ecotech, Neptune, Apple, Samsung or various other brands, it seems quite rare for brands to have smooth product rollouts now a days. I will gladly sit back and let others guinea pig the newest iterations of products for me so I can make an educated decision on where my money goes. I can't imagine spending that kind of money and run into any headaches or hassles.
But this is a Gen5 unit. Like version number 5, not some new never before seen product. That is my biggest gripe with Ecotech. If this was some new product from them that seems like it wasn't even tested or QC'd, then I would expect it be called a Gen1 of maybe a new product line. Calling something Gen5, to me, means it has been put thru all the tests from 4 previous generations and is solid to a tee.

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine (6) have been possessed as well, prior to the last firmware update. I would come down in the morning and find one of them on, or moonlight on, etc. Bizarre. I have set them up on a powerstrip off of the apex so I can reboot them automatically. They seem to be behaving now.

Regarding the discussion around having to do the repair yourself - I have often wished for this with Neptune or other manufacturers. I would MUCH rather take 15 minutes and a screwdriver to swap out a part or two, than to have to remove the item, ship it back and BE WITHOUT for a while. The DDR optical sensors are a great example - could be such an easy replacement!

So for Ecotech to send you parts and cover the warantee, that's awesome in my book. Win-win.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine (6) have been possessed as well, prior to the last firmware update. I would come down in the morning and find one of them on, or moonlight on, etc. Bizarre. I have set them up on a powerstrip off of the apex so I can reboot them automatically. They seem to be behaving now.

Regarding the discussion around having to do the repair yourself - I have often wished for this with Neptune or other manufacturers. I would MUCH rather take 15 minutes and a screwdriver to swap out a part or two, than to have to remove the item, ship it back and BE WITHOUT for a while. The DDR optical sensors are a great example - could be such an easy replacement!

So for Ecotech to send you parts and cover the warantee, that's awesome in my book. Win-win.
I would think there are plenty of reasons to keep the average consumer out of the innerds of their lights. If you are beyond some timeline to return the lights to the place of purchase then I guess fixing it ones self is an alternative if you want to agree to doing that. I personally run a battery of things before I even connect it to my tank.. If it fails any one of them, it should go back for exchange or refund in my book.. Now I learned a long time ago, a new toy is only good if it works out of the box. I remember pitching fits because my dad wanted to return a bike to the store as it didn't have any bearings in the steering column. I just wanted him to fix it.. well it was not possible obviously.. (It was a 1960's Schwinn Orange Crate. 5 speed stingray bike.. ) can you imagine what that would be worth today?

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell you guys how it ended up with my 4 G5’s. I fought a constant issue of them turning on by themselves or the schedule changing and also all 4 cracked. I documented it all through email with Ecotech. I got to the point I no longer wanted the lights and Ecotech would not provide a return authorization. I contacted AMEX and provided all of the documentation showing the products were defective and Ecotech’s acknowledgment. AMEX responded back the next day authorizing payment back to me. I contacted who I bought them from and let them know I would return the lights with new covers for a full credit or proceed with AMEX, they were perfectly fine excepting the return so they could fight with Ecotech. I’ve never had to do this type of process but I’m glad it’s past me.
Good for you. It’s sad that you had to go through that kind of process to get a refund. You have verifiable proof and acknowledgment of defect and still refusal. As though these lights are for over your kitchen sink. They are helping keep most of the time several thousands of dollars of living creatures alive. Keeping coral alive with properly operating equipment can at times be a struggle. That’s the supposed “Top Quality” you paid Top Dollar for. Companies that pull that truly rub me wrong and will never see my money.

I don’t understand how you could think that’s ok. Unless it’s out of the warranty period you shouldn’t have to touch it. You paid for quality and for dependable operation. If your not getting that then get rid of it and get something that is. I love to Diy and build things, but if I paid what is it $800/light for XR30 blues? You bet your butt I’m sending them back if they are cracked when I open the box! If I have verifiable proof they are doing their own thing when they want they are going back as well.
You should never be “without” because you should never just get rid of what you replaced immediately. You should always have a plan B for lights because well, saltwater.
Neptune is a whole other discussion I won’t get into. I run GHL.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMO, it's not something you should have to do at all with an expensive top end model and that's the real point. It's not about how good Ecotech are at admitting there are faults or how quick they send out replacement parts. Has someone stated above, these are gen5 not some completely new light but the result years of development, some development when they release a product with so many faults.

Wotarush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, it's not something you should have to do at all with an expensive top end model and that's the real point. It's not about how good Ecotech are at admitting there are faults or how quick they send out replacement parts. Has someone stated above, these are gen5 not some completely new light but the result years of development, some development when they release a product with so many faults.
Completely agree, need to start making them more reliable, especially for the price

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello I want to buy them ,but now I saw all this problems ,I think better not.Are the problems and the noise fixed or still not?

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought them when they first released and had all the issues mentioned on this thread except for the noicy fans... I contacted ECM and they sent out replacement for the crack covers. It was an easy fix, after the last software update no more issues with the schedule lighting change. I'll be honest the software issue was a pain.... but after the update I haven't had any issues. Love the light! I switched over from full Orpheks V4s.

Evaaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 XR15 Blues with manufacturing date mid May and dont have any issues with cracks, fan noise, or Mobius.
So far I am very pleased and had faith Ecotech would sort out the early issues.

SeeFu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the resent mobius update seems to have fixed the syncing issues.

ajm83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To those who had fan noise problems - is there any improvement to the fan issues with the current firmware?

enb141

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been few months since Radions G5 were released, are still issues of everything has been fixed (schedule not working, noise, cracks)?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine were built in July and 4 out of 5 XR30’s were cracked. Schedule has been fine, if you are running below 45% the fans never get loud, but they can get loud once above there

Octocat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. August build date and 4 out of 4 xr30 cases eventually cracked- hopefully the replacments hold up better. No issues with the app. The fans do get pretty loud but not enough to annoy me.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Mine were built in July and 4 out of 5 XR30’s were cracked. Schedule has been fine, if you are running below 45% the fans never get loud, but they can get loud once above there

I do not own the lights but if this is a common practice to prevent noise then one would be led to believe there is a issue with the design. I'd guess most people would not be happy having a light they bought for 100% power/intensity but limited to 45% of it. It means you would have to buy more lights in the end.

I have read here and elsewhere the crack issue should be resolved by lower torque in manufacture process. I've not read anything about the fans though. Interesting that it isn't gaining more attention.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not own the lights but if this is a common practice to prevent noise then one would be led to believe there is a issue with the design. I'd guess most people would not be happy having a light they bought for 100% power/intensity but limited to 45% of it. It means you would have to buy more lights in the end.

I have read here and elsewhere the crack issue should be resolved by lower torque in manufacture process. I've not read anything about the fans though. Interesting that it isn't gaining more attention.

They are no doubt louder than the G4’s, all 5 running at peak lighting is the loudest thing on my tank by and far.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 63 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back