Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just binge read the whole thread and loved it. I snickered at all of the newb mistakes we all make because of your humor shines thru it all. I like be how you always address your audience! It so accurate! I may steal it sometimes! Imitation is the highest form of flatter. :p As you removed the rocks for a damsel I yelled “noooo” in my head. But they are wiley little turds!

Hey reefers, I’m a fortunate guy. My wife loves the salt tank and has been learning more about its upkeep. She blows the rocks off changes filter socks and LOVES to feed the fish. They come out front and center when she goes to the rank begging for chow. I had given her the drill on feeding 1/4 cube frozen fed slow so it’s gone in just a few seconds or so I thought. Found out she’s been dropping a full cube plus done fortified pellets each day. The new sumps been making a difference but now we’re going up get the feeding under control a bit.
This hobby is something else we can share and learn together it sure beats how we watch the Batchelor
together on Mon night...... :)
You are so fortunate in this. I am so jealous. I wish my husband would love my tank. My family helps as needed most of the time, but nobody LOVES it.
I wish I had taken a pic before he fully closed on him but didn’t cross my mind till after he fully closed up on him. Was sad little green tail slowly disappearing
I was worried when they stayed so close to nem I’m thinking the clown let them stay close as a snack possibility lol

The clown might have shoved him in. I have seen film of clowns grabbing the new guy and feeding their anemone.

Did you ever figure out that mystery coral? I believe it is a green polyped toadstool that is not opening up well. Is this the coral you were asking about. And maybe ya know already...that was a while ago in real life. lol.
. FDECF9B4-74DE-4B96-8BB4-48B878C9AF64.jpeg

And what you call dragons breath around my neck of the woods we call GSP or green star polyps, funny to me, how the common names vary region to region. I am looking forward to adding GSP to my tank come the March frag swap. :) Dragons breath around here is a beautiful red algae.

Last edited:

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your aquarium and stand. It is very pretty. What a CL find! The sump improvement is great. I recommend you add some wood under the sump near the top to create a place to mount it inside the cabinet. The cabinet is to beautiful to put equipment outside of it! MOO. (my opinion only :))
There is some unused vertical space in there.

Or find a complimentary bedside type cabinet to set next to the fish stand to hide additional equipment it.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also are you certain your ATO container is not leaching phos or other containment’s into your RO di water? There is no way to know. a trash can can be made out of any kind of plastic. I would recommend only using a food safe container. RO DI WATER is a sponge and will even pull stuff from the air. It is possible you already know these things and made your choices as you want, I just feel I would be remiss not to share from my own mistakes. Only some brute container are food safe. But they are also very cheap. And, really, an old 5-7 gallon commercial salt container works well too. The salinity container is 7 gallons and works for me for 1 week.
7862C9D0-EDCC-49C3-99A2-D6929F2C46F1.jpeg

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Victoria M thanks for the id on the coral. Now to get it a happy spot. I got the green dragons breath / GSP online sale and picked up the red dragons breath macro algae at a swap. Strange about who calls what what for sure.
The ato is food grade by its stamp but ptobably worth testing to be sure.
Still working out a plan for cabinet space use. I need to mount my reactors and some shelving just unsure of how to maximize the space some day.
Ty for the ideas and stopping by now to get that coral healthy and talk wife into a side cabinet :)

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey hey what do you say my fellow salt fiends? Here’s a FTS from today. No murders as of yet today but Sunset ( the maroon ) or as I now call em Joey Bag O Doughnuts looks guilty as heck......
Seeing more coralline on glass to scrape and on the overflow and plastic. A week into pod addition and no notable pod action will see in a week if I start seeing em around. I know the GSP seems to like the feed I’m dropping in phyto and iso. Moved the toadstool to us mid level lower flow to see if we can make it happy. Thanks again to Victoria for ID so I could look up what it likes light and flow wise :)

BB83CF57-0D17-49FB-85E2-D26AFE7CC35A.jpeg

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers
Placed my first online order for livestock........ A little nervous and hoping all goes well and I’m not posting pics of motionless critters. Beefing up the CUC and getting the wife a fish she loves
Here’s what arriving Friday wish me luck
1 med Royal Gramma
1 Sea Hare
2 Scarlet reef Hermits sons tank
10 cerith snails
1 coral banded shrimp
1 pincushion sea urchin
10 banded trochus snails
2 serpent sea stars
Still want to get some worms (Mama Mia)not sure if I want bristle worms and maybe some feather dusters.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,
My order came in from liveaquaria and has been acclimated. Only problem so far is one brittle star shed a few legs in transit. Acclimated him/ her to tank and it moved into the rocks do hopefully it will recover and grow the appendages back in time.
Only other concern is they Royal Gramma has gone missing into the rocks.
Will see what tomorrow brings and snap some pictures of the newbies
Crossing fingers

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,
My order came in from liveaquaria and has been acclimated. Only problem so far is one brittle star shed a few legs in transit. Acclimated him/ her to tank and it moved into the rocks do hopefully it will recover and grow the appendages back in time.
Only other concern is they Royal Gramma has gone missing into the rocks.
Will see what tomorrow brings and snap some pictures of the newbies
Crossing fingers
I had a grumma before my outbreak, and I rarely saw it. It's definitely a fish that is better to put in early on as it's easily bullied.

Glad to hear the sea hare is working like a champ! Sorry I couldnt meet up with you and Paul today, I trimmed chaeto and gave it to SoF last week when I grabbed water and some salt.

I'll get together with u in the next week or two when it fills in again. It hasnt been growing much cause I've had the davinci clown in there and turned the grow light off for 3 days.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys and gals, Went out with the wife to get dog food and somehow needed up with acRoyal Gramma as well.........
Funny thing is when we get home the Gramma from Live Aquaria has come out of hiding after 2.5 days thought he was a goner.
Met with @Paul C. to pick up a second stocking of pods and phyto and iso. I hadn’t seen any action as of yet in my display tho I know they are there clown is snacking! but they are happy and visible with light in the sump. It’s wild to see the moonlights on in the tank and the phyto glowing in three band under them.
With the sump more controlled feeding and healthy pods tank is coming into its own.
Algae is so much better than it was with only small tufts here and there that Foxface is working on now. Enough blah blah blah here’s cpl pics

4E2043C1-27F0-4FB1-8FB4-935A9224CE92.jpeg

A11F7CF7-5A06-4B8A-93EF-EF529E5D181D.jpeg

51860690-4935-4CF6-8DDE-57CF25665F5F.jpeg

BB31F556-6391-431E-8E1D-13C28F1FA396.jpeg

6B6D494E-547A-4D70-B52D-FAC8FBC24BBA.jpeg

2BA3DA7B-A9ED-4B66-8B37-7940AF996AFC.jpeg

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we all enjoy the blah blah too. Pics make if better though.
I think the amount of blah blah tolerated increases with the quantity of pics/ eye candy posted. With the tank looking a little less shameful hopefully will be putting up some more pics.
Need a pic of the urchin he’s just cool and a pic of the sea hare. He’s like me big and a little ugly but deceptively agile! Man does he cover ground in the tank.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honest folks last post today and probably for a cpl days till Intest again. Problem staying home sick to much time to putter and snap pics
DKH 7.7 a drop of .7 in 4 days
Nitrate 40 using phone colorometer down 10 expect to rise perhaps with new additions
Phosphate .10 steady 5 days
Calcium 510 down 10
Mag 1520 up 80
Going to test minor elements tomorrow since I od’d the calcium a way back can’t dose by it’s addition
Will see were iron and iodine stand
Goodnight all and thanks for stopping by keep it salty and stable friends

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back