Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

Paul C.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RichtheReefer21 and @Paul C. was great to meet you both today. Paul pods look awesome and are going to be an awesome addition to my tank. I appreciate all the info and instructions to make sure I get em in the right way.

Was great meeting you as well Ray. Always great to meet local guys. Hope the care package does the trick. Let me know if you need anything or if I can answer any questions.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all, Since reefers never sleep figuredI toss up the test numbers from tonight.
Ammonia and nitrites Zero
Nitrates drum roll please O000 just a shade over 20!!! I know this looney is excited for 20 nitrates :)
Since this tank began this is best I’ve seen for nitrate. Loving the sump and how its getting the job done
Calcium 530 ( I accidentally overdosed doh)
Mag 1600
Alk adjusted back to 8.4 had dropped in last couple days time to keep a better eye on this again
Phosphate has a reading again 0.09
Didn’t test any minors water change today should have them flush will check just before next we to see what it looks like
All tests done with RedSea kits.
Pods from Paul C have been introduced to the tank 1 bag in the sump then a bag into the display at lights out with the delicate skills of a plastic surgeon shooting Botox into a Hollywood actress albeit with a turkey baster ;)
Thanks for stopping by and reading this far! Anyone else have a sump story or pics to share drop em in here and as always comments questions suggestions post em up. Would love to hear from you guys and gals.
Reef on and stay salty

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods from Paul C have been introduced to the tank 1 bag in the sump then a bag into the display at lights out with the delicate skills of a plastic surgeon shooting Botox into a Hollywood actress albeit with a turkey baster ;)
;Hilarious

I just finished surgery as well! Pods and phyto in. 2nd round. Gnite!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a posting fool as of late but I dodged a bullet today and wanted to share in case someone just getting started happens to get this far.
Temp was down to 75 deg. in the tank one of my heaters went south. Luckily I had paid attention to others on R2R about having two heaters to avoid having zero heating and had back up heaters in house.
Temp us back to normal now but this is the push I needed to get a temp controller for even better control and temp consistency.
Looking at a few options but hope to get something ordered soon. Keep on keeping on all and happy reefing.
Raege in da cage

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice catch and good plan. I will never let a heater burn me again.
I thought you’d like the plan my friend got it from reading and following you. Inkburds in contention but checking some other options as well.
And hey what the heck @NY_Caveman you post here 3 minutes ago and still no alerts of new photos on your thread.....while gonna keep me up late and online now lol :)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you’d like the plan my friend got it from reading and following you. Inkburds in contention but checking some other options as well.
And hey what the heck @NY_Caveman you post here 3 minutes ago and still no alerts of new photos on your thread.....while gonna keep me up late and online now lol :)

I was going to post this one, but got busy
A309F4D6-EC65-4438-AE03-845D9CA3F475.jpeg

Just got to work, So you can probably go to bed safely, LOL

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some checking and the coloration is indeed for sleeping. Amazing creatures. I freaked out when I saw our yellow tang with a big spot and line on em same deal nighttime camp.
I miss the Yellow tang :( but he’d in a nice tank now instead of being the big bully in mine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, I’m a fortunate guy. My wife loves the salt tank and has been learning more about its upkeep. She blows the rocks off changes filter socks and LOVES to feed the fish. They come out front and center when she goes to the rank begging for chow. I had given her the drill on feeding 1/4 cube frozen fed slow so it’s gone in just a few seconds or so I thought. Found out she’s been dropping a full cube plus done fortified pellets each day. The new sumps been making a difference but now we’re going up get the feeding under control a bit.
This hobby is something else we can share and learn together it sure beats how we watch the Batchelor
together on Mon night...... :)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers, I’m a fortunate guy. My wife loves the salt tank and has been learning more about its upkeep. She blows the rocks off changes filter socks and LOVES to feed the fish. They come out front and center when she goes to the rank begging for chow. I had given her the drill on feeding 1/4 cube frozen fed slow so it’s gone in just a few seconds or so I thought. Found out she’s been dropping a full cube plus done fortified pellets each day. The new sumps been making a difference but now we’re going up get the feeding under control a bit.
This hobby is something else we can share and learn together it sure beats how we watch the Batchelor
together on Mon night...... :)

My girl was into it, but it's getting old to her I think. Gotta be nice having someone to help with the maintanence for sure!

Do u rinse the cubes or just drop them in out of the package?

I'm asking because the gel they freeze them with can raise ur po4 over time.

I rinse my mysis and brine cubes in tank water and then refreeze in frag cups.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girl was into it, but it's getting old to her I think. Gotta be nice having someone to help with the maintanence for sure!

Do u rinse the cubes or just drop them in out of the package?

I'm asking because the gel they freeze them with can raise ur po4 over time.

I rinse my mysis and brine cubes in tank water and then refreeze in frag cups.
We thaw and rinse emthen use right away. I never thought to refreeze em. Going to steal that idea so she’s still feeding but I have portion control. Thanks @RichtheReefer21 for that idea my friend. I was thinking in human food terms freeze once and done.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran some tests tonight. One of the threads I perused the op was using aquarium note so gave it a whirl to keep a record in e form. It has a function for color comparison that I tried on nitrates. My eye on Sunday’s test looked under 50 like this one did but comparator nails it down at 50 so will go with its results going forward for consistency sake unless it looks way off.
Calcium is down 10 to 520 magnesium is down 20 to 1580
DKH 8.4
Ph 8.2
Temp steady 78
Phosphate .08
Salinity 1.025
Like the app can’t beat free and will be interesting to graph out all the param and geek out as more data is loaded. Ability to add notes of changes to connect to test results should prove helpful as well
Reef on

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another killer in my tank!
1st it was Lenny flipping snail upside down and sucking em out of the shell. Now I just got 2 small green chromis beautiful little fish. They swam together looked awesome under the leds. Only problem they loved to be around the anemone.........
You guessed it saw them both earlier this morning and now anemone is all balled up and can just see what was a chromis in him and the second one is dead in anemones cave just visible now that he is swallowing his buddy.
I was thinking about feeding my nem some clam this weekend have never fed him directly yet.Would have been much cheaper than a 7 dollar fish :confused:
I was nervous when they adopted the water right around the nem as favorite spot.
Guess I needed bigger and smarter chromis as these guys were less than an inch in length. Maybe larger size would make it.....
Here I was thinking I had a peaceful tank now lol circle of life in action

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another killer in my tank!
1st it was Lenny flipping snail upside down and sucking em out of the shell. Now I just got 2 small green chromis beautiful little fish. They swam together looked awesome under the leds. Only problem they loved to be around the anemone.........
You guessed it saw them both earlier this morning and now anemone is all balled up and can just see what was a chromis in him and the second one is dead in anemones cave just visible now that he is swallowing his buddy.
I was thinking about feeding my nem some clam this weekend have never fed him directly yet.Would have been much cheaper than a 7 dollar fish :confused:
I was nervous when they adopted the water right around the nem as favorite spot.
Guess I needed bigger and smarter chromis as these guys were less than an inch in length. Maybe larger size would make it.....
Here I was thinking I had a peaceful tank now lol circle of life in action

A pic of the chromis hanging out of the nem would have been epic. On the bright side as u said, just a 6 dollar fish and not an expensive one at least.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pic of the chromis hanging out of the nem would have been epic. On the bright side as u said, just a 6 dollar fish and not an expensive one at least.
I wish I had taken a pic before he fully closed on him but didn’t cross my mind till after he fully closed up on him. Was sad little green tail slowly disappearing
I was worried when they stayed so close to nem I’m thinking the clown let them stay close as a snack possibility lol

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had taken a pic before he fully closed on him but didn’t cross my mind till after he fully closed up on him. Was sad little green tail slowly disappearing
I was worried when they stayed so close to nem I’m thinking the clown let them stay close as a snack possibility lol

#ClownMotives haha

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back