Green Hair Algae battleplan?

• Total voters

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space the left arch pile from the right, to give some openings in the center. pull the piece thats under the arch to the front a bit to add depth, so its sticking out towards the front a tid, and space the rocks out a bit on the right side so theres some nooks and crannies.

Just some thoughts since u asked.

+1 on this line of thinking.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you caught it, what a nightmare!
Good luck sorting the scape out. :)
Thanks gonna need some luck :)
As long as getting the scape back to something I like with good flow like I hadbefore is less of PITA than getting that Damsel life will be good lol
hopefully will have an improved pic/video to share end of weekend

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltaholics. Aquascape 4.0 is complete. After this I need to be more like @NY_Caveman and stay outta the tank.
Survivors from my ato issues and temp control problem and doing well 2 dragonsbreath corals both doubled in size and encrusting , red discoma has been growing and shrinking but on the upside, sea blade has grown a few inches taller, unknown funny looking coral growing and showing polyp extension cpl small zoanthids may have a chance.
Fish Foxface, Marroon Clown, Firefish, Molly Miller Blenny and clam. Blue damsel and yellow tang rehomed. Wife’s sunburst anthia didn’t make acclimation couldn’t get em eating a real bummer we couldn’t take care of him.
Here’s the tank cloudy as can be from the rearranging the scape again. I like the left side but think I’m to high on the left. Overall like the look and the wife’s happy so I am as well.

7152EA67-D72F-4362-892B-132A98CB09A7.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltaholics. Aquascape 4.0 is complete. After this I need to be more like @NY_Caveman and stay outta the tank.
Survivors from my ato issues and temp control problem and doing well 2 dragonsbreath corals both doubled in size and encrusting , red discoma has been growing and shrinking but on the upside, sea blade has grown a few inches taller, unknown funny looking coral growing and showing polyp extension cpl small zoanthids may have a chance.
Fish Foxface, Marroon Clown, Firefish, Molly Miller Blenny and clam. Blue damsel and yellow tang rehomed. Wife’s sunburst anthia didn’t make acclimation couldn’t get em eating a real bummer we couldn’t take care of him.
Here’s the tank cloudy as can be from the rearranging the scape again. I like the left side but think I’m to high on the left. Overall like the look and the wife’s happy so I am as well.

7152EA67-D72F-4362-892B-132A98CB09A7.jpeg

Nice rework on the scape. Looks mucho bettero!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good day today! Coralline is spreading faster to bad it’s more on pumps than rocks also I have a Trigger crystal 34 sump on its way to replace my home grown deal. This will give me space for a proper fuge and some more volume.Now to figure out substrate for it. Not sold on mud leaning towards some Koran lagoon substrate with the rocks already in old sump. Thoughts on pros of mud anyone?

BAA82E39-40A6-4E79-B77F-2E5309F3E9D0.jpeg

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lots of different muds out there. Most seem to bring in added diversity (although I have not used them). Some though need to be replenished or even replaced so be sure to read the fine print.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger sump is a day away ( for delivery anyway). I’m hoping it’s not a repeat of the Skimz disaster with multiple destroyed sumps fingers crossed.Going to set it up over Christmas break. After this Friday Im on vacation till January 2nd so I might be able to get it all together.
Over break going to convert from a sump of shame to the hall of fame. At least something I’m not embarrassed to open my cabinet for.
Been researching paints and found some zero VOC gloss paint to do inside of cabinet to brighten it up. Also zeroing in on the substrate going with mud and some sand with some critters like Mama Mia and bristle worms and a few types of algae. Once algae is going alright will see if I can get a copepod population growing.
Still looking at upgrading my power strips to mount and cable control options as well as interior lighting.
Been stealing ideas from folks threads here and any suggestions for brands gratefully accepted.
Will drop before and after pics once I complete the project.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Operation sump is delayed. Someone filling ATO tank knocked controller off its Velcro and Into the top off tank. Needless to say brand new ATO is shot. Tank itself is under duress and Im deflated.
Controller had black liquid leaking out of it so have done several large water changes. Have changed out 100 percent of water now but will wait and see about my occupants. Clam is fully extending mantle corals I had left are not happy and fish are eating but in hiding rest of time.
Going to let things ride rather than install new sump get everyone back to happy hopefully in next week and if not will get a water test to see what nasty metals got in and consider restarting if needed.
So stupid seen Velcro fail but hey I got a top on ato and sump......until it’s left off by accident and bang more self inflicted pain.
On the plus side I’m getting much better responding to tank mishaps

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that each day is only adding to the maturity of the tank. The longer you have it set up, the more stable it becomes.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another scrubbing and water change and a cpl pics while I await the sump upgrade
Lenny’s getting Laaaaarger
EFBC5B87-0D4E-4DCB-8E7F-739606E499D2.jpeg

Dragons breath corals taking turns recovering. Wierd they are same height opposite ends of tank similar flow but sometimes only one or the other will be extended most times they both are.
CBD96F5B-C40B-42A2-A52E-A0273D2AE3B2.jpeg

Last but not least Old Blue still happy as a clam.

78177D91-6D52-483A-BCA4-180E3B048668.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
****** luck on the ATO bud..

Happy clam is always a promising sign. They are usually the first to go south if anything is really off.

Keep calm, reef on.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)Hello all, it’s been a while since I’ve updated here. The flu and life have gotten in the way as of late. So where is the tank at you might ask? It’s stable but algae has been an issue. I did all the algae’s going thru the uglies cyano Dinis hair etc and had a crystal clean tank in the end. But alas I fell for the hey I’m going to try this trap. I had great parameters except nitrates have been high since day one. I really liked RedSea additives as corals were looking good so tried Nopox.
A lrg bottle and a half later nitrates are still a problem and algae has come back with a vengeance. Daily scrubbing and multiple water changes and losing the battle still.
A lot of reading and I found others have suffered the same fate with nopox’ Every tank is different and mine doesn’t jive with nopox it seems.
I gave remainder of parts and pieces coming in thus week to get the sump uograde done. New power strips for cabinet, lighting, coating for cabinet walks, Refugium substrate, and once I’m sure of delivery dates some macro algae’s and bio diversity in the way of worms stars and more clean up crew will be ordered as well.
I’ve been slowly backing off on nopox and will be trying Randy H’s home brew vinegar vodka cocktail along with the fully stocked fuge.
All this hassel to get nitrates under 45.......
Will post before and after pics once completed of the fuge I think it will be a huge improvement and be the step I need to take for nitrate Algae control.
Keeping calm and reefing on still love the tank and fish clam and anemone still doing well just the upkeep is a bear. Stay tuned this war isn’t lost just dragging on
:)

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)Hello all, it’s been a while since I’ve updated here. The flu and life have gotten in the way as of late. So where is the tank at you might ask? It’s stable but algae has been an issue. I did all the algae’s going thru the uglies cyano Dinis hair etc and had a crystal clean tank in the end. But alas I fell for the hey I’m going to try this trap. I had great parameters except nitrates have been high since day one. I really liked RedSea additives as corals were looking good so tried Nopox.
A lrg bottle and a half later nitrates are still a problem and algae has come back with a vengeance. Daily scrubbing and multiple water changes and losing the battle still.
A lot of reading and I found others have suffered the same fate with nopox’ Every tank is different and mine doesn’t jive with nopox it seems.
I gave remainder of parts and pieces coming in thus week to get the sump uograde done. New power strips for cabinet, lighting, coating for cabinet walks, Refugium substrate, and once I’m sure of delivery dates some macro algae’s and bio diversity in the way of worms stars and more clean up crew will be ordered as well.
I’ve been slowly backing off on nopox and will be trying Randy H’s home brew vinegar vodka cocktail along with the fully stocked fuge.
All this hassel to get nitrates under 45.......
Will post before and after pics once completed of the fuge I think it will be a huge improvement and be the step I need to take for nitrate Algae control.
Keeping calm and reefing on still love the tank and fish clam and anemone still doing well just the upkeep is a bear. Stay tuned this war isn’t lost just dragging on
:)

You are a trooper. Glad to hear you still love the tank. That means you will keep at it. Curious, where is your Phosphate level?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back