OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some heating systems tend to really dry out a room.
I gave good old fashioned cast iron steam with water baskets attached so usually decent humidity wise. Going to have to break the news to wife we just have to lower the thermostat for the fish (and my oil bill) :)

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed the thread has reached 2000 views :)
Hope that out if these views somone avoids my missteps or became inspired to dive in and do their own bigger and better.
Thanks to all who stop by wether one and done or on a regular basis. Going to have to think if something to celebrate the milestone with.
Reef on and remain calm my friends

21270E81-4CAD-4D2D-8DAB-735F3AEE953D.jpeg

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a pretty good day! Leftovers new clam added to tank and my Tunze osmalotor came in early.
Will be good to have auto top off again. The Tunze has the optical fill and float shut off vs my old icecaps optical sensors. The icecap earned the boot for failing to fill once and over filling another.
Time to slip into athe food coma again.
Stay salty folks and thanks for stopping by

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a support group so I can get a sponsor, Big sale 45% off local fish store AquaDreams in Arawam. I had a 5 gal jerry Can to return ( grabbed some RODI as I moved my mix station and wanted some back up) and what’s he got One spot Foxface did I mention 45%off and my second fav fish.....
I wanted to stop when wife bought the clam Friday but without a sponsor to call and talk me out of it boom I was weak and gave in.

Yellow Tang that supposedly gets along with FF’s is in quarantine. He may be getting rehomed in favor of a smaller size. He has gotten huge and bossy in past 3 months and don’t think he will change his ways unless it’s a new tank.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a support group so I can get a sponsor, Big sale 45% off local fish store AquaDreams in Arawam. I had a 5 gal jerry Can to return ( grabbed some RODI as I moved my mix station and wanted some back up) and what’s he got One spot Foxface did I mention 45%off and my second fav fish.....
I wanted to stop when wife bought the clam Friday but without a sponsor to call and talk me out of it boom I was weak and gave in.

Yellow Tang that supposedly gets along with FF’s is in quarantine. He may be getting rehomed in favor of a smaller size. He has gotten huge and bossy in past 3 months and don’t think he will change his ways unless it’s a new tank.

You were 10 mins from me!

Aqua dreams has some great coral, but I dont care for much else there.

School of fish in the eastfield mall has best overall prices and stock locally to me in Western mass.. but 45 mins south. In connecticut. Is the best LFS I have ever seen. Not much for corals, but their livestock both marine and freshwater is second to none.

Aquatic wildlife. Phenomenal store run by an awesome guy.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You were 10 mins from me!

Aqua dreams has some great coral, but I dont care for much else there.

School of fish in the eastfield mall has best overall prices and stock locally to me in Western mass.. but 45 mins south. In connecticut. Is the best LFS I have ever seen. Not much for corals, but their livestock both marine and freshwater is second to none.

Aquatic wildlife. Phenomenal store run by an awesome guy.
School of Fish prices are awesome for sure. I usually check em both out as they seem to cycle stocking wise. Lately Aqua Dreams has been stocked heavy with a lot of variety compared to School.
Going to have to take a road trip into Ct and check em out.
To bad no local fish club activity here. CTARS is only group but not looking for a long drive monthly.
Maybe one day will get enough locals interested in hooking up

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
School of Fish prices are awesome for sure. I usually check em both out as they seem to cycle stocking wise. Lately Aqua Dreams has been stocked heavy with a lot of variety compared to School.
Going to have to take a road trip into Ct and check em out.
To bad no local fish club activity here. CTARS is only group but not looking for a long drive monthly.
Maybe one day will get enough locals interested in hooking up
Ya same

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a problem that ended up being a good thing. My furnace kicked off last night woke up to a cold house and fish rank down to 75 even tho I gave two 300 watt heaters in it.
So it turned into a good thing as
1 I was able to buy the parts and fix furnace myself for 40 bucks
2 When checking thermostat realized I had programmed it years ago to go very low at night. Low at night was fine for human and our dogs not so good for a fish tank that needs stable temp. That has been corrected to ensure it never drops below the heaters ability to maintain temp.
Corals were not happy at the temp but fish , clam, and inverts still happy and now my wife is happy that temp will be even throughout day :)
I need to look into a controlller with alerts to monitor the tank. Would have had a better looking tank by now and discovered these types of things I never considered.

I’m thinking about the Seneye anyone have exp or opinion on them? Apex looks great but that price tag is hefty plus Seneye will get me an idea about my lighting which seems more beneficial out the box.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an InkBird 308 Temperature Controller that works well. Gives me peace of mind to know my heaters never rely on their thermostats, unless the controller fails. I have a Seneye I use only as a PAR meter.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever start something thinking it won’t be bad? I did that and OMG it was horrible. Rehomed are blue chromis which unlike what had lfs guy said turned out to be a damsel and one mean son of a gun.
Aiming for a more peaceful tank he had to go and because he is smarter and faster than me out came some rocks......and then more rocks.....and finally all the rocks.
So much stirred up junk the little a Blue bugger was invisible against my blacked out background grrr.
I planned on scrubbing a few of the rocks during this project but not stripping the tank.

Needless to say the aquascape is not the same. Tried to keep things like nem and clam in exact same place but other rocks was a puzzle I couldn’t figure out.
Thru the haze that is now my tank wife thought things looked ok and only fish I haven’t seen after replacement is Lenny our Molly Miller Blenny. Hopefully he found his hole and is riding out the dust storm. Lenny is so much fun to watch hope he’s ok.
One thing I know is ain’t doing that again if it can be avoided.
Will post FTS tomorrow once the tank settles for posterity.
Stay salty and keep on reefin all.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh. What a nightmare. One of the hardest fish to catch.
Funny thing is I caught him cpl months ago in 3 minutes with a bottle trap. Was going to bring him to lfs to rehome but wife convinced me to put him in quarantine for a while to see if he’d mellow out. Lasted 3 days on straight and narrow then back to tank boss.
After that first catch he wised up big time. The pulling of rocks was last resort as I got the wife some fathead Sunburst Anthias for Xmas who are ready for display.
Blue Devil Damsels naughty list for sure

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man oh man! I’m hating the rock work now. This jigsaw puzzle went back together like a Picasso...
Particularly unhappy with the left side. May try to tighten up left and center structure and leave a space to right hand structure. Not sure if I should let things settle longer or dive right back in? Thoughts opinions welcome and appreciated on timing and suggested structure.

2EB8F1AA-86B2-41EB-9240-BB400A6F8A89.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space the left arch pile from the right, to give some openings in the center. pull the piece thats under the arch to the front a bit to add depth, so its sticking out towards the front a tid, and space the rocks out a bit on the right side so theres some nooks and crannies.

Just some thoughts since u asked.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Space the left arch pile from the right, to give some openings in the center. pull the piece thats under the arch to the front a bit to add depth, so its sticking out towards the front a tid, and space the rocks out a bit on the right side so theres some nooks and crannies.

Just some thoughts since u asked.
Will for sure move the arch to the left to open up the center and like the idea of brining the rock under arch forward. Just need to figure out that right hand side.......
Thanks for chiming in much appreciated :)
Now do I do it now or tlet things rest for a bit to avoid stressing everyone out again.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back