OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltaholics. Ever think ya know somone they surprise the holy heck out of ya? Well my Molly Miller Blenny surprised me tonight. He was out for feeding being entertaining so tried for a better picture. As I stalked him saw him beating the snot outta a snail.... tore him up. I have some GHA in tank feed em good and have algae sheets up so don’t think it’s cause he’s starving .
Amazing world we get to visit in our own homes always something new like a yellow tang getting a spot and line on sides when sleeping for camouflage.
Anyway couple better pics of the murderous Lenny
1st pic is Lenny on the attack 2nd is fat and happy on his rock

09D0436B-BC2A-47FE-8DDD-F7144B424E12.jpeg

E292FB77-13C4-4B93-BE82-EDB00211F742.jpeg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltaholics. Ever think ya know somone they surprise the holy heck out of ya? Well my Molly Miller Blenny surprised me tonight. He was out for feeding being entertaining so tried for a better picture. As I stalked him saw him beating the snot outta a snail.... tore him up. I have some GHA in tank feed em good and have algae sheets up so don’t think it’s cause he’s starving .
Amazing world we get to visit in our own homes always something new like a yellow tang getting a spot and line on sides when sleeping for camouflage.
Anyway couple better pics of the murderous Lenny
1st pic is Lenny on the attack 2nd is fat and happy on his rock

09D0436B-BC2A-47FE-8DDD-F7144B424E12.jpeg

E292FB77-13C4-4B93-BE82-EDB00211F742.jpeg

Oh Lenny, how could you!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note to self never ever make adjustment to flow before going to work at 4:30 am........
So been tweaking my icecap gyre on back wall sand nice and clean in front with it but thought hey let’s try the random mode. I set it for a low max good to go but must have slipped a fat finger when locking it in cause when I got home looked like the killer clown fish had swept sand from front glass to middle of tank in about 1.5 foot area.
Corals knocked of rocks couple buried alive not pretty. Will have to see if any of corals are beaten to badly to recover.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow salt aholics. Been a bit since I posted. Ive been using Redsea nopox so had taken my GFO reactor offline and had a gha explosion. Explosion may be a bit over the top but been working on getting levels back.
Water change and rock scrubbing today with a good sand vacuuming will get pics once water column settles down lots of skimmer emptying and sock changes in my future

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck w the algae, I've been fighting it as well. Just added 75 cuc members over the last month and I need a new toothbrush from all the scrubbing of the rocks. Exhausting uphill battle.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck w the algae, I've been fighting it as well. Just added 75 cuc members over the last month and I need a new toothbrush from all the scrubbing of the rocks. Exhausting uphill battle.
Thanks Im going to need a bit of luck and a new toothbrush as I snapped mine in half yesterday lol
Its discouraging a bit as when tank went thru the uglies it never got as bad as the last week but all part of the cycle and just need to get the balance back. I thought changing from reactor to nopox wasnt going to be a big deal ........
Good luck with your battle as well

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef gods are angry with me. On way home from work wife called hey tank sounds funny and the alto top off tank needed to be filled twice today.........
Yup you guessed it the ATO controller was calling for water when it shouldnt have something is busted and by time I got home salinity was down to 1.022 from 1.026 the night before.
My wife tells me tank was looking awesome in am corals bounced back anemone fully open after my water change scrubbing adventure yesterday but not any more.
The promised tank photo will need to wait as I slowly raise salinity back and try to make em happy again.
Fish seem fine just corals and anemone are ticked off and shriveled up.
Time to research a new ato as this is second episode with the icecap ato which is only @ coup,e months old! Not looking forward to daily manual water adds for a week or two but local fish store only has icecap and I’m done with them.
Another kick in the gut but I’m gonna kick Murphy’s backside and MAGA (make aquarium great again) starting a little later tonight first gotta stop cryin and get out of fetal position lol

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty then fellow salties I promised a FTS and am going to post up ugly or not. It’s ugly.....
Putting GFO reactor back online has helped as gha is browning up and dying. As you can see in pic tank needs another scrubbing. Skimmer and filter socks have been a daily ritual since the in-balance will be happy to see that ease up.
My biggest worry right now is not reducing nopox dose on time and ending up with zero on nitrates and phosphates and dreaded Dino’s.
As of now only corals happy are my dragons breath on either side of tank :( others still show hope so will see what happens

ACB19C79-F585-485C-949B-C86331B856AB.jpeg

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news today our anemone is no more. Its been taking up residence for a few weeks at a time in different spots. He vrntured dead center for 2 weeks then went back to his cave on left side of tank no problems. This am he ventured out again but somehow got into the powerhead.
Not sure who is sadder wife or the maroon clown.
Other than that the battle with phosphate and nitrate continues. Nopox and reactor are catching up but very slow painful process. Black cyano is still coming in but not as bad and GHA is browning up and dying. With anemone gone going to uo the flow on gyre and back wall powerhead.
Hooefully balance is near
Keep reefing and learning my salty friends

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hair algae is getting better slowly. It’s browned up and shorter at least. Black cyano has receded a bit need another vacuuming tho and water change tomorrow. Shortened up on light cycle a bit so this fts is in ramp down. At least I don’t wince looking at the tank.

9ACE524F-5847-4DBA-8EB4-88ACB4E84869.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hair algae is getting better slowly. It’s browned up and shorter at least. Black cyano has receded a bit need another vacuuming tho and water change tomorrow. Shortened up on light cycle a bit so this fts is in ramp down. At least I don’t wince looking at the tank.

9ACE524F-5847-4DBA-8EB4-88ACB4E84869.jpeg

I went to war on mine today... pulled every rock out after moving frags to sand bed and scrubbed the rocks down in a tub of dirty water from a 15gallon change... took 3 hours, wrinkled fingers, and jello arms and hands, but after putting it all back in the tank I cant find any green at all.

I had been brushing it inside the tank, which was likely redistributing it all over making it worse. I will let u know how I fair with it and maybe u can give it a try if u dont see a good response from dosing.

I'll keep checking in... big breaths, I feel ur pain in the algae war. Stay calm and reef on!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
say hey saltheads. Just a quick update on the war on GHA. The only thing keeping me going after the horrible losses suffered on both sides is the knowledge that I fight for clean water happy corals and a balanced tank chemistry.
The nopox seems to be making headway along with the GFO reactor. Not really sure how it went so bad taking reactor offline after first week of adding nopox....... but it is what it is and I’m fine not knowing as Long as I know how to get it under control.
So half scape has gha on it but it’s real short. Cyano is receding and just in one particular area skimmer is off the hook cleaning cup daily so lots getting dumped. Nitrates reading 50 phosphates nada but just getting sucked up by algae out competing the good guys.
I screwed up playing with lights last night so tank was dark till I got home........never sent new program I wrote like a dummy so corals are closed but here’s fts of battlefield

7A662BE3-B3B6-47A6-9E13-AFEA90F0B8F6.jpeg

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi salty friends, Not sure how many folks swing by this thread regularly but feel free to shout out questions or comments and even suggestions if you find this thread lacking. I keep this mainly for me to look back but always open to improving.

I had a great idea today! Take a video....unfortunately I had this right after scrubbing and cleaning some sand and tank innards.
Feeling pretty good about tanks recovery today. Less GHA most frags looking better and fish are fat and happy. Something that has me jazzed is some purple growth on some coral plugs. I thinks it’s start of corraline algae which is a good indicator that tank health has improved.

Video shows off Sunset digging more sand up covering a snail Lenny the Molly Miller Blenny scooting about and our other three fish a bit.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the Maroon adapting? Any aggressiveness after the anemone loss? Seems he has a nice cave.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the Maroon adapting? Any aggressiveness after the anemone loss? Seems he has a nice cave.
The first few days he wandered the tank quite a bit like he was trying to find the anemone but then just settled back into their cave. Only agggression he shows is still to my hand lol.
My wife wants to get him another nem but waiting another few weeks till nopox dose is dialed in on a lower amount.
From whut I’ve read Maroons are easiest when it comes to hostin* so just need to pick a type of nem and put mesh back on power heads :(

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated parts list earlier in thread. Icecap ATO has failed me twice inc3 didn5 fill an$ again overfilled and flooded. BRS had awesome deal on Tunze ATO with optical and float switch so that’s on the way.
Filling daily stinks! I miss the ato........
Does anyone else notice huge difference in evap rates in winter? Guess it makes sense but amount I’ve been adding had me checking for leaks at first holy moly ;)

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated parts list earlier in thread. Icecap ATO has failed me twice inc3 didn5 fill an$ again overfilled and flooded. BRS had awesome deal on Tunze ATO with optical and float switch so that’s on the way.
Filling daily stinks! I miss the ato........
Does anyone else notice huge difference in evap rates in winter? Guess it makes sense but amount I’ve been adding had me checking for leaks at first holy moly ;)

Some heating systems tend to really dry out a room.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back