• Total voters

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
756CD29F-AA0F-48A0-805F-6D9B5039DF74.jpeg

Wow, that is super cool. Tank is looking much better and that Foxface is going to be fat!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the sea hare. We called ours Shrek. When we first set up the current tank the sand was 90% new. I did not realize the nassarius snails were starving. I acclimated Shrek then put him on the rocks. He started munching away. An hour or so later all the nassarius snails were all over Shrek eating him alive! I knocked them all off and moved him higher and watched him for awhile he went back to grazing but was emitting a blue dye. A few hours later all the snails were on him again! There was not a trace of him left. The next day there were huge tracks of snail eggs all over the tank back. People say that he was probably ill and they were dong their job. Maybe...I think they were starving. I started feeding silversides after that.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the sea hare. We called ours Shrek. When we first set up the current tank the sand was 90% new. I did not realize the nassarius snails were starving. I acclimated Shrek then put him on the rocks. He started munching away. An hour or so later all the nassarius snails were all over Shrek eating him alive! I knocked them all off and moved him higher and watched him for awhile he went back to grazing but was emitting a blue dye. A few hours later all the snails were on him again! There was not a trace of him left. The next day there were huge tracks of snail eggs all over the tank back. People say that he was probably ill and they were dong their job. Maybe...I think they were starving. I started feeding silversides after that.
Survival of the fitest I guess good tip as a tank gets cleaner need to keep all the cuc happy Stinks losing your sea hare they are really cool so ugly thier good looking

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ugly they are cute!
Ok I will agree with you Victoria they are cute :)
I hope you know how much I’ve grown in just hours! to be able to describe my little guy as cute instead if good lookin or handsome lol

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Hey hey Reefers! Pretty psyched! Last Friday got my LA order in and of the two brittle stars one was a stub little pieces floating in bag and other missing or apparently missing limbs. The arms showing were real small but today snaking our of a hole some pretty long arm. No brittle expert so guessing they can retract/ shorten their arms? Here’s cpl pics sry played with setting to get arms to show as good as I could

7EF395AA-AC51-4489-8214-E2A4AEE13B9A.jpeg

7B9D1552-D6BE-4A8B-BEFE-2E2B54B73B6D.jpeg

EA2FAB9C-F416-4F08-894E-E272EC1A6829.jpeg

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never noticed either way on our 8 brittles.

Tell us about your royal grammas! [emoji846]
@norfolkgarden Here’s a story about a wife who loves the color purple :)
When I ordered up the clean up crew I added a Royal Gramma to order to surprise the wife. My son who was off work the day of arrival acclimated em all and when he released the Gramma it took off like the Blue Devil Damsel was still in the tank and on the move for a kill.
He/She was fine until released but then disappeared for 3 days without a sighting. Wife was of course bummed out and like most things in my life we went out for one thing dog food and came back with a replacement Gramma. ;)
New Gramma gets acclimated swims right in to see the clown and anemone......... thought great another snack fish for the nem but in less than an hour I was seeing double Grammas. The second one (smaller of the two) drew the other back from the dead/hiding and they became besties and took up a station center front of tank together.
I wasn’t to keen at first on two of same species together but I think that first a Gramma needed one of his own to be happy and confident and hopefully to thrive.
Wheeew lotsa words for cpl small fish but they sure are lookers so guess they deserve it

And now for something completely different wink wink nudge nudge
Went to Frag Farmers Market today in Storrs Ct. was supporting a good cause the kids studying marine aquaculture so glad I went for that. On a whole of the two shows I’ve been to this was not a favorite. Layout was cramped hard to get around and very crowded. As for vendors lots of em but for me no great deals I couldn’t beat in an online auction or local fish store.
We (I mean my wife) picked up two Gonies with nice colors and our local LFS was there and had the Marin labs icp oes test kits there for 20 bucks so I grabbed that to save running around back home.
Interested in graphing out a few of these icp oes over a year to let my inner geek out.

Will see how the corals acclimate tomorrow (they were just starting to extend a bit before light out) and take a few pics to post

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could have gone to the show. Would love to meet up some time. Would you consider a big meetup in NYC? Always wanted to do that and really thinking about something for this summer.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could have gone to the show. Would love to meet up some time. Would you consider a big meetup in NYC? Always wanted to do that and really thinking about something for this summer.
A big meetup would be awesome. I’d be happy to visit NYC and help in any way I could.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ray, I'm sure that maroon can handle him or herself. Lol.. The tank is looking good. Keep up the good work. How's the pod population looking?
Lol I’m pretty sure the maroon won’t need therapy anytime soon :)
As for tank feeling a little cocky about how well it’s going so going to have to stay on task not let it slip. The pods are getting a nice heavy feeding 5 ml each good every other day and I can see with a flashlight tons of little specs moving around! I don’t notice em in display as of yet but sure they are in the rock.
Was actually pretty funny me and the wife laying on the floor with a flashlight staring at the sump. Only the salt life can do that to ya lol. @Paul C. how big will the pods be at full maturity?
Thanks for meeting up and getting me started with the pods the info and help were much appreciated.
I believe that the pods are an important part of what’s needed to have a successful tank. Now just need some worms and maybe feather dusters to diversify even more.
Obligatory pic dump

EFC28A6D-8A46-498C-844C-83A3CB10B4CE.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I’m pretty sure the maroon won’t need therapy anytime soon :)
As for tank feeling a little cocky about how well it’s going so going to have to stay on task not let it slip. The pods are getting a nice heavy feeding 5 ml each good every other day and I can see with a flashlight tons of little specs moving around! I don’t notice em in display as of yet but sure they are in the rock.
Was actually pretty funny me and the wife laying on the floor with a flashlight staring at the sump. Only the salt life can do that to ya lol. @Paul C. how big will the pods be at full maturity?
Thanks for meeting up and getting me started with the pods the info and help were much appreciated.
I believe that the pods are an important part of what’s needed to have a successful tank. Now just need some worms and maybe feather dusters to diversify even more.
Obligatory pic dump

EFC28A6D-8A46-498C-844C-83A3CB10B4CE.jpeg

Wow what progression! The tank looks awesome! Huge difference! Sorry bout the sea hare. Mine is the size of my fist now.

Wish I went to the frag meet, but I ended up with my nephew all weekend.

Where'd u get the goni?

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow what progression! The tank looks awesome! Huge difference! Sorry bout the sea hare. Mine is the size of my fist now.

Wish I went to the frag meet, but I ended up with my nephew all weekend.

Where'd u get the goni?
Thanks bud real happy with how tank is cooking. My SeaHare is ok Victoria lost hers. Mines a beast he’s all over maybe to much he knocked a frag over twice now ;)
Have to look up electronic receipt to see which vendor had the gonis. Wife loves em ones red others blue with some yellow. So far they ar still acclimating just barely extending.
Does your nephew like the salt tank? Hook em young:)

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud real happy with how tank is cooking. My SeaHare is ok Vuctoria list hers. Mines a beast he’s all over maybe to much he knocked a frag over twice now ;)
Have to look up electronic receipt to see which vendor had the gonis. Wife loves em ones red others blue with some yellow. So far they ar still acclimating just barely extending.
Does your nephew like the salt tank? Hook em young:)

Yea he is learning more and more every day he comes. Part of me wants to set up the 55gallon for him at his house and get him started on a leather and softies anenome tank or something easy.

We'll see!

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salutations and greetings my fellow aquarium enthusiasts. First the bad news....our maxima clam is no more. Last week slipped with a scraper and knocked it from its perch. His foot was damaged and tho I tried to get him in a happy place to heal it was not to be. :(
Now the good two gonis we put in tank Sat are starting to extend and show off their colors

BDD35A7D-1C51-40EB-A0AF-8A004993E694.jpeg

Sorry for the poor pics hard time dialing in the filters todazpy. The gonis are a nice red and an purplish blue with a whitish yellow center much nicer in person

B76EF605-355F-490C-A227-6F632664199C.jpeg

on a kinda bad note one of the cuc thinks it’s a squirrel climbing the branches of my sea blade and bendung them
04F6A48D-12B2-4EAA-8977-4A79E75829E1.jpeg

pinchusion urchin is doing its thing picking up old junk as it rolls around gonna call him Fred Sanford if you know who that is your dating yourself
FA0E97B6-AB48-4F21-B748-78106894C040.jpeg

9E034296-A942-4C26-AA5E-F61B11C42FAB.jpeg

Last edited:

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the clam :(

Cant wait for ur goni to open, they are on my top 5 for softies. Awesome corals.

The rocks look so much better than a month ago, urchin is gonna get fat. :)

Really glad to see the recovery happening.

OP
OP
Raege

Raege

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the clam :(

Cant wait for ur goni to open, they are on my top 5 for softies. Awesome corals.

The rocks look so much better than a month ago, urchin is gonna get fat. :)

Really glad to see the recovery happening.
Thank you kind sir. Gha is only couple small tufts here and there that cuc us tracking down pretty effectively. Some of the green I have now appears to be coralline with a lot more purple showing up now on glass and plastics as well as spots on rock.
Gonis are pretty sweet never saw a bluish one before and wife fell in love. Hope they like the placement.
Hopefully corals start taking off so I can frag swap with you and other WMassers down the road.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%

Back