Random Flow Generator Show Off Thread - Show us your Tank!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video is spot on! And for different scapes of course flow requirements are going to be different like what I’m doing in my 10g
I’m trying to use only the rfg to flow around the front of the scape and through the back. I can’t tell it works when I periodically look up from studying and see detritus being lifted from the low flow area directly under my return. I’m running a Syncra 1(251gph) in a 10g nuvo and I think I may have hit the sweet spot as far as flow goes but only time, and coral will tell.

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1143.JPG IMG_1141.JPG Got 'em love 'em

gone_phishin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video is spot on! And for different scapes of course flow requirements are going to be different like what I’m doing in my 10g
I’m trying to use only the rfg to flow around the front of the scape and through the back. I can’t tell it works when I periodically look up from studying and see detritus being lifted from the low flow area directly under my return. I’m running a Syncra 1(251gph) in a 10g nuvo and I think I may have hit the sweet spot as far as flow goes but only time, and coral will tell.

so does this fit directly on your IM10 return nozzle?

or do you need loc line first? if so, what attachments?

i run a Sicce 0.5 in my IM10, and it seems to be enough flow for my tank, but i've been thinking about trying to split the return nozzle with loc line y adapter or something, but i'm not sure the 1/2" fits.

the RFG seems awesome, and i'd love to give it a try. if anyone has this set up on their IM10, please specify exactly what you used to do it! oh and pictures are always appreciated!!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so does this fit directly on your IM10 return nozzle?

or do you need loc line first? if so, what attachments?

i run a Sicce 0.5 in my IM10, and it seems to be enough flow for my tank, but i've been thinking about trying to split the return nozzle with loc line y adapter or something, but i'm not sure the 1/2" fits.

the RFG seems awesome, and i'd love to give it a try. if anyone has this set up on their IM10, please specify exactly what you used to do it! oh and pictures are always appreciated!!

For the IM tanks you'll need the 1/2in RFGs and our Slip-Fit-Drop adapter, in either the 16 or 19mm size. There's a sizing guide on the product pages. You can see the IM and JBJ compatible parts from this page here:
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-category/aquairum-specific/innovative-marine/

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’d recommend the 19mm adapter for the 10 those few mm drop the generator low enough to have the tank at its lowest overflow point with no additional pieces needed to prevent a siphon forming but having the extra 1/2 lock-ins never hurts cause ya never know when you’re going to change something in your tank

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased 2 1/2” for my 66 and they definitely randomize the flow. However, I noticed they did restrict the flow more than the loc-line nozzles. I had to adjust the full syphon drain to offset the reduced flow.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this image will help - looking straight down the 3 size nozzles, from left to right is the 1/2in, 3/4 and the 1in RFG Nozzle.

The Accelerator portion of the nozzle is obscured by the internal fins at this view, but the opening is larger in the 1in nozzle (approx 5/8in) vs the 3/4 in version (approx 9/16in).

RFG050-075-100_0173.jpg

Do you have a 1" version for locline? Right now my 1" return splits into two 1/2" loclines flare nozzles, but I'd rather one 1" instead.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a 1" version for locline? Right now my 1" return splits into two 1/2" loclines flare nozzles, but I'd rather one 1" instead.
Loc-line does make an actual 1in size. most likely your 1in is reduces to a 3/4in that reduces to two 1/2in. If that is the case, you could remove the Y and simply attach some 3/4in Loc-line, and go with a single 3/4in RFG Nozzle or replace the Y with eh 3/4in to 3/4in Y adapter and run two 3/4in RFGs.

With that said, I have seen a 1in "loc-line" like modular hose. In fact we created a custom version of the RFG nozzle to fit it for @Vivid Aquariums a few months back. We are currently trying to source out that part so we can offer it ourselves for those with 1in threaded bulkheads

Here's pic of the full line up with the 1in modular hose version (3rd one down)
VCA-RFG-Family_1072.jpg

ReefingwithO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased 2 1/2” for my 66 and they definitely randomize the flow. However, I noticed they did restrict the flow more than the loc-line nozzles. I had to adjust the full syphon drain to offset the reduced flow.

how much adjustment did you have to make on the full siphon drain?
I just want to get an idea how much flow is reduced by the RFG.
question to vivid, does the eductor compensate for the reduced water flow ? can it be quantified?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much adjustment did you have to make on the full siphon drain?
I just want to get an idea how much flow is reduced by the RFG.
question to vivid, does the eductor compensate for the reduced water flow ? can it be quantified?

We believe the additional water drawn in by the educators combined with the random flow action created by the nozzle makes up for the head loss that a nozzle of this type will create. Unfortunately, there's no easy way to quantify that amount other than through visual flow and movement in the water column.

We can say, our test have shown that the 3/4in and the 1in RFG nozzle will product between 5-12% head loss as measured with a typical flow monitor, depending on the amount of flow you drive through the nozzle. However, the motion it creates in the water column is very unique, and appears to move more water by volume than is being pushed through the nozzle.

here's an example of a flow test we ran at a local fish store in Mesa, Arizona - Aquarium Arts. This is a single 3/4in Nozzle with an estimated 600-700GPH run through it. All other flow pumps where shut off and it's moving the entire water column.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loc-line does make an actual 1in size. most likely your 1in is reduces to a 3/4in that reduces to two 1/2in. If that is the case, you could remove the Y and simply attach some 3/4in Loc-line, and go with a single 3/4in RFG Nozzle or replace the Y with eh 3/4in to 3/4in Y adapter and run two 3/4in RFGs.

With that said, I have seen a 1in "loc-line" like modular hose. In fact we created a custom version of the RFG nozzle to fit it for @Vivid Aquariums a few months back. We are currently trying to source out that part so we can offer it ourselves for those with 1in threaded bulkheads

Here's pic of the full line up with the 1in modular hose version (3rd one down)
VCA-RFG-Family_1072.jpg

Do you provide these for the Fluval Evo 13.5? Not sure what return size it is, but uses a similar output to a locline.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back