Random Flow Generator Show Off Thread - Show us your Tank!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you provide these for the Fluval Evo 13.5? Not sure what return size it is, but uses a similar output to a locline.
The ones I've seen have the 1/4in Loc-line connected to a 1/2in to 1/4in Y adapter. If you remove the Y adapter, you should be able to connect standard 1/2in Loc-line. If that's the case, you can then go with a single 1/2in RFG Nozzles.

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how much adjustment did you have to make on the full siphon drain?
I just want to get an idea how much flow is reduced by the RFG.
question to vivid, does the eductor compensate for the reduced water flow ? can it be quantified?
I don’t remember exactly how much I had to turn the valve to reset the water level in the overflow but it wasn’t a ton.
@Vivid Creative Aquatics Is there a 1/2” thread to 3/4 loc-line adapter? I wonder if the larger size would allow higher flow rate through the nozzle?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t remember exactly how much I had to turn the valve to reset the water level in the overflow but it wasn’t a ton.
@Vivid Creative Aquatics Is there a 1/2” thread to 3/4 loc-line adapter? I wonder if the larger size would allow higher flow rate through the nozzle?
I don't think I've ever seen a 1/2in thread to 3/4in Loc-line, upscale connector. I did a quick search and I could only find reducers. Unless you went with something like this:
http://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-446-074-1-2-x-3-4-PVC-Sch-40-Male-x-Female-Adapter

Izcuacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1221596580b12b73a5a7413a0179ece0.jpg

e29b096e2d64a81ebc36b6d171fd77cd.jpg

927334a882d6193e6cf23143321eddb1.jpg

365fe6bad29b4bf49ec6875b7119d231.jpg

466a44f1341a9c643e8e20ec6956c990.jpg

I have 2 tanks both with RFG 1/2”

Jbj45 seahorse tank with 2 1/2” coming directly from the locline. Since this is a seahorse tank I don’t use wavemakers (afraid of them hitching and getting their tail cut) so the RFG provide good random flow without hurting my horses.

Red Sea reefer 250 with an adapter to a Y locline and 1 link before the RFG spreads the flow through the entire tank.

You can see my sea apple loves the flow.

BTW I delt with Antonio at Vivid and great customer service we went through the set up before the purchase and even advise after it was installed on how to make them work even better. Great company!!!! And a great product!!!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jbj45 seahorse tank with 2 1/2” coming directly from the locline. Since this is a seahorse tank I don’t use wavemakers (afraid of them hitching and getting their tail cut) so the RFG provide good random flow without hurting my horses.

Red Sea reefer 250 with an adapter to a Y locline and 1 link before the RFG spreads the flow through the entire tank.

BTW I delt with Antonio at Vivid and great customer service we went through the set up before the purchase and even advise after it was installed on how to make them work even better. Great company!!!! And a great product!!!

Thanks @Izcuacho - so glad to hear that the RFG Nozzles are doing exactly what you need them to do. Sea Horse tanks are a prefect way to use the RFG nozzles. We had a local fish store setup a sea horse tank and use a single 1/2in RFG. It was fun to watch them ride the flow. They seemed to enjoy it :)

Last edited:

Izcuacho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="Izcuacho, post: 4139999, member

Thanks @Izcuacho - so glad to hear that the RFG Nozzles are doing exactly what you need them to do. Sea Horse tanks are a prefect way to use the RFG nozzles. We had a local fish store setup a sea horse tank and use a single 1/2in RFG. It was fun to watch them ride the flow. They seemed to enjoy it :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah the other great thing it keeps the Mysis suspended longer due to the random flow even with the lower TO rate.

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used the drop adapter with the xxl kit (2 RFG) and I stop the return pump i get a siphon all the way to the random flow nozzle. Which is way too much. Anywhere I can put in an anti-siphon (hole) to stop the excess back flow?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drop adapter for a Red Sea 525xL with 2 RFG nozzles
6AD2382B-3289-4D92-897C-4C141422F4C4.jpeg
922D3CD4-C368-466D-8D8D-20CCFE146B01.jpeg

Looks great! and the video is perfect. You can really see the pulse action the RFG nozzles are creating. Looks like you have been running those for some time, the Nozzles have some pretty good coralline algae growth :)

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded to the Sicce 1.5 before I even knew about your products.

It is rated at 357gph. Looks like your recommended for both 1/2" is 640-670.

So I may be upgrading.

the 357GPH should be able to drive both RFGs - our Suggested Minimum GPH for 2 X RFG050, is 250-400, so you're right in the range.

However, you are correct - you could go higher without creating a sand storm in your 25 gallon tank. Our Optimal Recommended GPH, is the 640-680, wich might be a bit much, but certainly worth a try. For that size tank I would shoot for somewhere in the 400-500 GPH. That would give each RFG 200-250 GPH would should really get things moving.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! We ship daily, so your order will ship this afternoon. You should have it before the weekend :)

Got it Saturday.
I attached it to loclines Sunday.
The tank is 50 cube. The flow is great. Not sure how you make the flow change without any moving parts. It appears the flow sort of rotates, so it kind of simulates randomness effect. I removed my powerheads for now as the flow generated seems sufficient for my tank.

As others noted, since the RFG operates as eductor, it has to go below the water level, lower than say a flare nozzle, otherwise it will suck in air. For a 24"x24" tank footprint, 1" deeper means an additional 2.5 gallons drains back to the sump. I don't have a big sump, so I have to test to make sure the remaining space can at least take the water from the overflow box.

I'd say RFG is great for a closed loop. For return, just make sure you have room in your sump for additional water coming down from DT when you turn off the return pump.

I adjusted the position of the RFG by adjusting the locline segments and not the RFG itself. Another user mentioned the RFG can become loose on the loc line if you adjust it too often.

The RFG is definitely a great addition to any tank.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it Saturday.
As others noted, since the RFG operates as eductor, it has to go below the water level, lower than say a flare nozzle, otherwise it will suck in air. For a 24"x24" tank footprint, 1" deeper means an additional 2.5 gallons drains back to the sump. I don't have a big sump, so I have to test to make sure the remaining space can at least take the water from the overflow box.

I'd say RFG is great for a closed loop. For return, just make sure you have room in your sump for additional water coming down from DT when you turn off the return pump.

Glad you're seeing better flow in your tank - but you do make an important point. Thanks for bringing it up.

The RFG nozzles creates it's randomized flow pattern through fluid dynamics and a combination of viscosity and velocity of the water moving through it . So for the RFG to function properly, it must be fully submerged. If you have a small sump, you should take this into consideration. The RFG can operate just fine at as little as a 1/2in from the surface, depending on the the GPH you push through the nozzle, without drawing in air from the surface. We are planning a series of videos that will demonstrate the affects of the nozzle at various GPH. So stay tuned!

@doughboy , don;t forget to post a pic of you tank herein this tread. We would all love to see it

Deus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 running on my innovative marine 25 gallon lagoon. I really struggled with finding a good option for a small sized tank and the jebao would keep dying on me and buying am mp10 is out of tbe question $$$$$...so i stumbled upon the RFG and doubt ill ever remove them.

Here is a close up vid of the polyps reacting to the RFG's

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which size do you have for the nozzle? Trying to remember what the nozzle size for my 425xl
All the Red Sea Reefers share the same return line plumbing, so the only decision you need to make is what size RFG's to go with. For the 425XL, I would suggest the regular Red Sea Reefer Ultimate Return Line Upgrade kit, which inblcueds two 1/2in RFGs, the loc-line and the 25mm adapter, as opposed to the XXL version. It'll take up less space.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back