Random Flow Generators & Random Flow in Your Reef Tank

Do you use a random flow generator device in your reef aquarium?

• YES

Votes: 228 56.0%
  • NO

Votes: 161 39.6%
  • Kinda (please explain)

Votes: 18 4.4%

• Total voters

Dryan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 3d printed one that works pretty nice to create random motion in the tank.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running dual RFG on a 65 peninsula, and a single RFG on a 29 biocube. I was able to get an adapter from VCA that made this application possible. They also make adapters for Redsea and others. I like the water motion they create especially on set ups with 1 or 2 returns. Different nozzles for different applications is my belief though. So I also use flare nozzles and love the eductor nozzles that increase water volume backed in a stagnant area.

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to incorporate something like this into my next build. The wave crest type units sound particularly appealing as they replicate a random surging flow like a wave. Not something as cumbersome as a borneman flush device but the units in Europe sound cool to me. Random is essential for me. I think my torches do much better with random motion.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean, what counts as randomized flow?

I do have a pair of Tunze 6055's wired to a Tunze 7097 controller, semi-simulating ebb and flow currents on a 6 hour cycle, along with variable speed oscillation set to randomized intervals between 20 and 40%.

Does that count? :)

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of the VCA nozzles running on mine I have been running their nozzles for years now. I like them I just wish they lasted longer, not sure why but they seem to stretch a bit and then they won't stay on anymore. Maybe it's to much pressure or maybe my lights deteriorate the plastic but they do a good job.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running
Keeping to our FLOW theme for the week let's talk about random flow and more specifically random flow generators! Random Flow Generators have been used in the hobby for quite some time and many people use them as part of their standard equipment, but not everyone. Let's talk about it!

Do you use a random flow generator device in your reef aquarium?

Do you care about having random flow in your reef aquarium?

20190224_145324.jpg

Q1. Yes, I do have Random Flow Generation in my tanks, and I love it. (Achieved with a Classic Sea-Swirl and a VCA RFG Nozzle)

Q2. Random flow works great in the case of SPS since it improves PE and also encourages the SPS corals to grow out more symetrically. I used to run the Swirl/RFG on my LPS (Euphylia) coral tank and I will eventually added a VCA or Swirl to that tank as well for more gentle and broad flow across the tank.

Need proof. A picture is worth a thousands words. Side by side comparion motion-video is even better.

This video (2018) show's my 110G tank with a Sea Swirl tucked into the back right corner.

3 side by side, Simultanous run-comparisons.
Air bubbles injected for better flow visibility.

1) Sea Swirl with no VCA RFG (Basic Loc-Line Extension)
2) Sea Swirl 3/4" VCA RFG
3) Sea Swirl with 1"VCA RFG

The there is a MaxSpect Gyre XF150 on the Opposide side and on 2nd Pass of the Sea Swirl I turn it on.

You be the judge...

This 2nd Video, show the VCA Nozzle doing the random-flow action close up for better view (front and back of tank).

NOTE: I stopped the Sea Swirl rotating after a few years due to leak on o-ring. Needs a fix, but haven't had time to do. The VCA RFG continues to do it's Random Flow work even without the rotating motion of the Sea-Swirl.

This is same tank now in 2022 running on the VCA 3/4" and a few more pumps as tank evolved to require more flow.. . (I chose the 3/4" VCA over the 1" since as mentioned in posts above the nozzles need high enough flow rate to ahieve effective random flow, especially with a longer/larger tank)

Things would have been more along had I not had a few mishaps and SPS newbie lessons, so technically this progress from Frags is last two years.

52190178075_ee95b95a2e_h.jpg

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - I so busy today I didn't see this awesome thread until just now. i would have dropped into this sooner.

Love all the comments and I'm always humbled to see just how many people are using our products with success. For those that had questions about fitment or what adapter or RFG to use, please send me a DM or just give us a call between 8am and 5pm MST - we are always happy to help.

For those that have been using our products are have used it in the past, please keep on eye on us as we have a big announcement in regards to the next evolution of the Random Flow Generator that we'll fully unveiled at Reef-A-Palooza California next week. I think you all are going to love it.

Just to bury a clue here in this thread, here's a pic

20220724_133919.jpg

To answer the original question - yes, I use Random Flow Generator Nozzles in my aquarium. And they work great . You can see the results in our build thread for the VCA 134-gallon Cube Tank

20220802_111249.jpg

1659592847892.png

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vivid Creative Aquatics I've been seeking out information regarding an RFG for my JBJ NRL 20 Gallon tank. Seems I can't find an RFG for my system. Please help.
Thanks
If that's one of their models with the singe inlet in the upper right corner, then its one we are currently working on, and unfortunately we don't yet have an easy solution just yet. Be it is on our list tanks to create an adapter for.

We hope to encounter this specials tank at the upcoming Reef-A-Palooza Cali event so we can get some measurements

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wow - I so busy today I didn't see this awesome thread until just now. i would have dropped into this sooner.

Love all the comments and I'm always humbled to see just how many people are using our products with success. For those that had questions about fitment or what adapter or RFG to use, please send me a DM or just give us a call between 8am and 5pm MST - we are always happy to help.

For those that have been using our products are have used it in the past, please keep on eye on us as we have a big announcement in regards to the next evolution of the Random Flow Generator that we'll fully unveiled at Reef-A-Palooza California next week. I think you all are going to love it.

Just to bury a clue here in this thread, here's a pic

20220724_133919.jpg

To answer the original question - yes, I use Random Flow Generator Nozzles in my aquarium. And they work great . You can see the results in our build thread for the VCA 134-gallon Cube Tank

20220802_111249.jpg

1659592847892.png

I saw this post the other day and had the RFG in my cart from your website, but since you mention ReefaPalooza in Cali, I'll be there next week. Guess I'll hold off on purchase until then.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this post the other day and had the RFG in my cart from your website, but since you mention ReefaPalooza in Cali, I'll be there next week. Guess I'll hold off on purchase until then.
Nice - we'll see you there. :)

Our booth is right up front, just to the right of the entrance - Cant miss us.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely interested in trying these out,but wondering if you have sold any of these to reefers with aqueon tanks/return piping .(210 gal system / two return that split to 4 outlets in display and will they do ok - I was considering sea swirl if this was no go - Thanks

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely interested in trying these out,but wondering if you have sold any of these to reefers with aqueon tanks/return piping .(210 gal system / two return that split to 4 outlets in display and will they do ok - I was considering sea swirl if this was no go - Thanks

If it uses authentic Loc-Line on the returns or has a standard bulkhead that is able to be removed,then yes.

They also sell a RFG that connects straight to PVC as well. For a tank that size I would probably go with maybe 2x ¾ and 2x 1".

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just put my hands in and splash around to make random flow. Or hold one of the kids over the tank and threaten to toss them in. My acros love the variable flow I get from that.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually just put my hands in and splash around to make random flow. Or hold one of the kids over the tank and threaten to toss them in. My acros love the variable flow I get from that.
Mini Dachshund thrown into tank also works well. The short legs are just short enough that they do not damage the corals on top of the rocks.

dachshund GIF

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back