Red algae ID

barscaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some red algae pop up maybe a year after I bought a small piece of live rock. Have seen similar different species in ID threads but unsure. I think it's attractive and would like to keep it, just want to make sure it's not invasive or problematic in any other way. So far so good hasn't really spread just grown into a larger ball. Is soft and waves in the current.

Thanks

PXL_20201028_012041213.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what it is but if it's been in your tank for that long and hasn't caused any problems your most likely good to go!

OP
OP
B

barscaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what it is but if it's been in your tank for that long and hasn't caused any problems your most likely good to go!
Had the rock for maybe a year but the algae only started growing about a month ago. Went from a bare spot to maybe a golf ball in that time. I'm also thinking I'm good to go, still super curious as to what is though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like rose petal red blade or gracilarias
Macro algae

OP
OP
B

barscaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like rose petal red blade or gracilarias
Macro algae
Has a cabbage like shape, the "petals" are all smoothed edged and relatively round if flattened out and about the size of quarters. Looking to see if there's varieties of rose petal or gracilarias....

OP
OP
B

barscaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has a cabbage like shape, the "petals" are all smoothed edged and relatively round if flattened out and about the size of quarters. Looking to see if there's varieties of rose petal or gracilarias....
Well looks like the picture on LAreefs for rose petal. Doesn't give a specific name for it though. Everywhere else says rose petal algae is cryptonemia and that stuff is kind of branching and definitely not it. Either way looks like a score. Thanks

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some red algae pop up maybe a year after I bought a small piece of live rock. Have seen similar different species in ID threads but unsure. I think it's attractive and would like to keep it, just want to make sure it's not invasive or problematic in any other way. So far so good hasn't really spread just grown into a larger ball. Is soft and waves in the current.

Thanks

PXL_20201028_012041213.jpg
It look lovely, Hope is good for your tank. Unfortunately can't help with ID it.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could help, but I've never seen anything exactly like it.

In the Florida Keys we have a white Scroll Algae that has a similar growth pattern, but the 'leaves' are not ruffled like the OP's algae.

If it were mine, I'd let it grow. I might want to try to take a cutting and see if I could get it to grow.

I had Florida Scroll algae in my tank once. It grew a bit faster than I would have liked. And when I tried to trim it back about 50% the part that remained in my tank died. But that's just me and my scroll algae isn't what the OP has.

@barscaz , good luck. If you try a cutting and it survives, I'd pay you to ship it to me! ;Woot

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a beautiful looking algae. I seriously doubt that it will be too invasive or be a problem.

How long ago did you first notice it growing?

OP
OP
B

barscaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a beautiful looking algae. I seriously doubt that it will be too invasive or be a problem.

How long ago did you first notice it growing?
Maybe a month or two. It has grown pretty fast but has stayed in a ball shape from the start. The petals get larger but stay round and it seems to just add pedals to the same central point. The fact it isn't spreading out makes me comfortable letting it go.

OP
OP
B

barscaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be the second one to pay for getting piece of it if can regrow from
Ok. It's right on the edge of the rock it's on now. Am going to stack some other small pieces next to it while it grows a little more. If it doesn't go on its own I will try to cut and attach when it's a little bigger.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. It's right on the edge of the rock it's on now. Am going to stack some other small pieces next to it while it grows a little more. If it doesn't go on its own I will try to cut and attach when it's a little bigger.
Thank you! You are good Man mate :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back