Red Coris Wrasse Experience and Compatibly

Drummerguydw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, slowly stocking my new 150 gallon sps reef tank, looking to pick up 2 wrasses, looking for anyone with experience with the red Coris wrasse and how it would be in a reef tank, I already know they will attack and eat inverts.

Also, will a red Coris wrasse be compatible with other Coris wrasses like a yellow? And with flasher or fairy wrasses?

thanks in advance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As beautiful of a fish as you will endure BUT they are notorious for flipping coral and frags looking for worms and food

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like said previous nothing will stay upright that isn't glued down...I even had mine turn over a 2kg rock, You can't buy a new frag & rest it down low cos as soon as you turn your back it will be in the sand.
Other than that mine never caused any inter fish trouble whether with wrasses or other fish, their pretty much peaceful.

steven m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red coris in my experience isn’t a good option for a reef. The one I had would throw sand and cover the corals I had close to the bottom. Try a radiant wrasse, one of my favorite fish and they get along with yellow coris

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, slowly stocking my new 150 gallon sps reef tank, looking to pick up 2 wrasses, looking for anyone with experience with the red Coris wrasse and how it would be in a reef tank, I already know they will attack and eat inverts.

Also, will a red Coris wrasse be compatible with other Coris wrasses like a yellow? And with flasher or fairy wrasses?

thanks in advance
Yellow coris wrasses are actually Halichoeres wrasses, not Coris. I recommend against the coris due to them being highly destructive in reef tanks. Radiant wrasses are a really nice addition and are very peaceful if you get them past the shipping issue.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my red coris is a model citizen. He does flip my conch's from time to time, but only flips them over. Doesn't move things around, gets along with everyone, even other wrasses.

Of course I've had it since it was a mere 1" baby, and now it's transitioning to it's adulthood.

My red coris is with a yellow coris, pintail fairy, leopard, and melanarus.

You can search my post history of the thread I started with my transitioning red coris.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of yellow coris wrasses and they don't seem to bother the corals BUT, they are very tough with invertebrates. Most of my snails and any hermits that manage to survive hide in the corners of the tank all day until the pair take to the sand.
IMG_3560.png

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the yellow 'coris' (Halichoeres chrysus) and the other small Halichoeres genus wrasses are great choices.

The true Coris genus wrasses get bigger.

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris are nice, yellow tail with white dots look almost like a smaller sized gem tang….
The only thing is anything you have on your sand bed for example a plate coral, you need to glue them on a cement disc, as the wrasse constantly digging in the sand bed, it can easily flip a frag on sand bed ups and down. I got 2-3 plate corals killed because of that.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris are nice, yellow tail with white dots look almost like a smaller sized gem tang….
The only thing is anything you have on your sand bed for example a plate coral, you need to glue them on a cement disc, as the wrasse constantly digging in the sand bed, it can easily flip a frag on sand bed ups and down. I got 2-3 plate corals killed because of that.
What you’re describing there sounds more like a Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse.

I have a pair of yellow coris wrasses and they don't seem to bother the corals BUT, they are very tough with invertebrates. Most of my snails and any hermits that manage to survive hide in the corners of the tank all day until the pair take to the sand.
IMG_3560.png
These are not true Coris wrasses. Many wrasse in the genus Halichoeres are given the false name of “Coris” common occurrences being the Yellow “Coris” Wrasse, the Green “Coris” Wrasse, the Silver Bellied “Coris” Wrasse. None of these species are in the genus Coris and are instead in the genus Halichoeres.

Enkopaaisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you’re describing there sounds more like a Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse.

These are not true Coris wrasses. Many wrasse in the genus Halichoeres are given the false name of “Coris” common occurrences being the Yellow “Coris” Wrasse, the Green “Coris” Wrasse, the Silver Bellied “Coris” Wrasse. None of these species are in the genus Coris and are instead in the genus Halichoeres.
Yes, a yellow tail. I had 2 red coris as well. I will think most of the coris and leopard wrasses they all like digging around

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a yellow tail. I had 2 red coris as well. I will think most of the coris and leopard wrasses they all like digging around
IME, Tamarins and Leopards don’t do it as much as larger halichoeres and coris do. I have a Blue Star in my 20g and she mainly uses the rocks for pods - I have 3 wrasse in that tank total, 3 gobies and a blenny. If anyone messes with the sand the most it’s the Koumansetta hectori in there.
image.jpg

image.jpg

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought Id ask here rather than starting a new thread....
Have a 200 gal display. 25+/- fish including 6 other wrasses.

I understand wrasses frequently bury themselves at night and/or when frightened.

I added this adult red Coris wrasse a little over two weeks ago. When added to the tank he seemed quite happy. Flipping over my conchs (thankfully not eating them), any shells or small rocks he could find. No fighting with any other fish that I witnessed. He never buried himself the first day and ate at the first feeding without issue. Then I started seeing less and less of him over the first week. Then this past week I haven't seen him at all.

Today I happened to see half of him protruding from the sand bed. After a few minutes he came all the way out and swam around for maybe 5 minutes before again burying himself. I haven't seen him eat for a week - typically feed 2-3 times a day. I haven't found any dead snail or crab shells. Worried he will eventually starve - and don't understand this behavior. Again, I understand wrasses frequently bury themselves - my yellow Coris, checkerboard and Leopard wrasses do it every night - but are out again every morning.

He looked healthy still but wondering why he is spending so much time in the sand and how long he will survive without eating. Anyone have a wrasse do this after it appeared to be happy and relaxed in the tank?

IMG_6194.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought Id ask here rather than starting a new thread....
Have a 200 gal display. 25+/- fish including 6 other wrasses.

I understand wrasses frequently bury themselves at night and/or when frightened.

I added this adult red Coris wrasse a little over two weeks ago. When added to the tank he seemed quite happy. Flipping over my conchs (thankfully not eating them), any shells or small rocks he could find. No fighting with any other fish that I witnessed. He never buried himself the first day and ate at the first feeding without issue. Then I started seeing less and less of him over the first week. Then this past week I haven't seen him at all.

Today I happened to see half of him protruding from the sand bed. After a few minutes he came all the way out and swam around for maybe 5 minutes before again burying himself. I haven't seen him eat for a week - typically feed 2-3 times a day. I haven't found any dead snail or crab shells. Worried he will eventually starve - and don't understand this behavior. Again, I understand wrasses frequently bury themselves - my yellow Coris, checkerboard and Leopard wrasses do it every night - but are out again every morning.

He looked healthy still but wondering why he is spending so much time in the sand and how long he will survive without eating. Anyone have a wrasse do this after it appeared to be happy and relaxed in the tank?

IMG_6194.jpeg
He’s beautiful - sorry to hear the story. Get a video of the tank for a few minutes whilst he’s out, walk away out of the tanks sight. Then after a few minutes (5-10) go back and see if you find any bullying. Specifically watch the checkerboard wrasse and any other large fish such as tangs.

Marty Orourke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought a juvenile red coris wraps a little over 3 years ago about 3 inches long. Now over three years later he is about 5inches long but has not changed any of his coloration from being a juvenile. I thought with being in a 300 gallon tank eating well with all the other fish he would have changed already. Nothing at all but has gotten bigger. Any thoughts on when he will go through the transition? If anyone knows please let me know or if there is a chance he will just keep growing and never go through the color change. My email is [email protected] if anyone has the answer.

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys - I have a red corris wrasse currently been in a 40G Breeder due to suspected agression issue (I believe primarily because he was in a 75 with other fish who all perished one by one) - I have a new 240 setup with alot of my loving live stock. What are the chances of moving him into the new tank and not going through a rampage ? Any best practices ?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back