Red Sea Max E-260 Build

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to move to an AIO style tank for various reasons. At first I thought about Innovative Marine, but by the time you piece all those together, you're already at the same price as a red sea system, so thats where I went. I decided on the Red Sea Max E-260, 70 gallon (including rear). Here is my build process for anyone interested in these.

My expectations for this tank, mainly for the red sea tank reputation were met, plus some. These tanks are incredible in both design and quality. They seem pricey at first when you're looking at them online for the price and size, but they are such high quality that I believe them to be very well priced for what you get. I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a nice tank.

q21LERil.jpg

If you're in your 30's and not already a professional furniture builder, you're not doing it right (or your rich) haha.

k4eF6I3l.jpg

cWl4SGrl.jpg

Getting there

Elg2N5Jl.jpg

The cleanest it will ever be. Long way to go still

LOcQLzKl.jpg

Hey come here and hold this.

Drydgqrl.jpg

Some rock moved over, mostly aquascaped. Now to start on all the electrical and Apex, ATO, misc electrical setup. Currently just running off a single power strip.

VQ8OVCZl.jpg

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking oking really nice, can't wait to see more:)

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to buy same tank and you're making me think about the white color now; are the directions clear and well illustrated?

Thanks.

OP
OP
splix

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to buy same tank and you're making me think about the white color now; are the directions clear and well illustrated?

Thanks.

Yes I had no questions while setting the tank up. There are a few panels to the stand under the tank in the box though, just realize that haha. I thought I was missing a box at first until I found them.

MFear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is today. Super happy with it still.

tsIEaWLl.png
Looks beautiful! I have the same tank and have been trying to figure out a good mechanical filtration option i.e. filter floss or sponge filter. What are you running in that regard? And where are you running it?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks beautiful! I have the same tank and have been trying to figure out a good mechanical filtration option i.e. filter floss or sponge filter. What are you running in that regard? And where are you running it?
Mine's been running since Thanksgiving and I am getting good results with stock sponges modified by putting the white/blue floss cut to size on top of them; I just push them down an extra half inch to keep the floss in place. The floss t catches a lot of detritus, etc. and I don't have to clean the sponges as often as I used to. I've read where some reefers cut the sponges in half and use floss to make a "sandwich". BTW, I did add an Intank media basket and think this improves the flow pattern.

Good luck.

OP
OP
splix

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use the provided sponge filters. They dont seem to clog up which is nice. They do what they can though. I still pull them out about once a month and siphon below them in the return sections.

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far down should you push the stock sponges? Should they go all the way down to the pumps? What do you use in the media rack besides the 2 bags of carbon they provide?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place my sponges about .5 inches below the normal installation point to make room for filter pads; they are still a couple of inches above the pumps for good circulation. I use an InTank media basket which provides room for one bag of carbon, Purigen, Phosguard, and a large bag of Matrix.

Siavash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of buying the same tank, did you end up getting the sump upgrade? if not, can you let me know how often do you do water changes and how happy you are with the skimmer and etc?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of buying the same tank, did you end up getting the sump upgrade? if not, can you let me know how often do you do water changes and how happy you are with the skimmer and etc?
As for me, I didn't get the sump upgrade; change 5 or so gallons a week taken from rear sump and really like the skimmer. Simple maintenance schedule of rinsing sponges every couple of weeks, changing media when needed (over time I have used carbon, Purigen, Phosguard, and Matrix placed in an InTank media basket) and dosing Kalkwasser with an ATO. For me, simple is better and, frankly, I like the sound of water leaving the skimmer.

View attachment FTS.jpg

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you take the water from the rear sump for water changes and do you have pics of the rock formation before the coral was put in? How many pounds of rock did you use? What do you think of using Hawaiian black sand. My E-260 is set up but I have nothing in it yet. Do you have a pic of it showing the tank and stand. I would like to see how high you went with the rock...sorry for all the questions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
splix

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not do the sump upgrade either. I do about a 20g water change every 2-3 weeks which I'm finding good with my super high bio load. The skimmer does well, I was surprised how well it did work. It's not really as small as you may think. My only complaint about the skimmer was there was no external line, but that was easy to modify and make for $10. I can run the skimmer for 2-3 weeks now with it going to an external collection.
Media I just use carbon and dose alk and no3po4x. Thats about it.

My favorite thing overall about the tank is how easy it is and how well it does on it's own. I can not even look at the tank for 3 weeks and not worry (of course I dont).

OP
OP
splix

splix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you take the water from the rear sump for water changes and do you have pics of the rock formation before the coral was put in? How many pounds of rock did you use?

I just have my water change bin next to the tank and put the hose in the rear sump and siphon it down. I do my best to try to move it around in the bottoms of each chamber to vac out any detritus. I honestly only do that once every few months. Usually I just turn off the pumps and pull water from the front display.

I'm running probably 40 or so pounds of live rock. The only pics I have are what are posted above. A lot of my live rock came from my old tank so it already had coral on it.

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I was going to order 70 pounds of Reef Saver and add a couple of live rock. Maybe that's to much.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you take the water from the rear sump for water changes and do you have pics of the rock formation before the coral was put in? How many pounds of rock did you use? What do you think of using Hawaiian black sand. My E-260 is set up but I have nothing in it yet. Do you have a pic of it showing the tank and stand. I would like to see how high you went with the rock...sorry for all the questions.
I have an 18" piece of pvc on end of my syphon hose which lets me target detritus in the rear chambers/sump. Tukani live rock is 2" below water on left and 4.5" below water on right in pic above. I used about 50 lbs and Tukani is relatively porous; depending on your rock's density, you may want more or less. No experience with HB sand, I would just be sure it is compatible with animals you want to keep, e.g. can wrasses dig in it to hide. And, make sure powerheads don't move it too much.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back