RedseaATO - Sensor Not working Tight out of box

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to move on from Neptune ATK to a different ATO due to Optical sensor problems. Decided to take Redsea Route and bought yesterday.

Did the complete setup today. To my surprise the sensor doesn't sense the Power off and doesn't stop the motor and continue to run just to error out saying it overran.

1. Pump kicks in when level goes below Second sensor which is pump on.
2. Water crosses Pump off sensor but motor continues to run.
3. Stops after error.

Tried resetting pump parameters, did hard reset, Checked tube length etc. All good.

Tried even Citrix acid bath for the sensor. No use.

Anyone faced this issue and any solution?

I don't want to hear that I have to go through the RMA process with them and I need to get a replacement :(. Probably should have went with Tunze.

OP
OP
S

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw another similar post. QC issues with the new ATO?
Found what was the issue. There are 4 pins in the sensor connector to Controller. One of the pins was mis aligned and so it didn't get into the pin hole. So which is why it didn't sense the water for Top and Above. Fortunately found that when I was looking into it. After aligned it, it works like a charm.

Unfortunately Red sea didn't try this while troubleshooting my issue and they sent me a new one as replacement (just the sensor).

May have to let them know that would help them to troublesheet anyone in future

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found what was the issue. There are 4 pins in the sensor connector to Controller. One of the pins was mis aligned and so it didn't get into the pin hole. So which is why it didn't sense the water for Top and Above. Fortunately found that when I was looking into it. After aligned it, it works like a charm.

Unfortunately Red sea didn't try this while troubleshooting my issue and they sent me a new one as replacement (just the sensor).

May have to let them know that would help them to troublesheet anyone in future
Glad it was a relatively easy solution to remedy.

SheldonC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit late to the party, but I just got a brand new Reefer 300 and am having the same issue with the ATO sensor. No matter what I clean or reset, it says the water is below the range (even though it's actually above the entire probe at this point). I manually turned it off to prevent additional water from going into the sump, but hopefully Red Sea gets back to me quickly. For how much things cost, I'd expect it to work.

OP
OP
S

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit late to the party, but I just got a brand new Reefer 300 and am having the same issue with the ATO sensor. No matter what I clean or reset, it says the water is below the range (even though it's actually above the entire probe at this point). I manually turned it off to prevent additional water from going into the sump, but hopefully Red Sea gets back to me quickly. For how much things cost, I'd expect it to work.
I can help you. Ensure the pins are properly inserted in the 4 pin holder.

There are 4 pins in the sensor connector to Controller. One of the pins was mis aligned and so it didn't get into the pin hole. So which is why it didn't sense the water for Top and Above. Fortunately found that when I was looking into it. After aligned it, it works like a charm.

Try this

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to move on from Neptune ATK to a different ATO due to Optical sensor problems. Decided to take Redsea Route and bought yesterday.

Did the complete setup today. To my surprise the sensor doesn't sense the Power off and doesn't stop the motor and continue to run just to error out saying it overran.

1. Pump kicks in when level goes below Second sensor which is pump on.
2. Water crosses Pump off sensor but motor continues to run.
3. Stops after error.

Tried resetting pump parameters, did hard reset, Checked tube length etc. All good.

Tried even Citrix acid bath for the sensor. No use.

Anyone faced this issue and any solution?

I don't want to hear that I have to go through the RMA process with them and I need to get a replacement :(. Probably should have went with Tunze.

Same thing happened to me. I reset it and it fixed it. I had to also reset "Reset pump monitors"

SheldonC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help you. Ensure the pins are properly inserted in the 4 pin holder.

There are 4 pins in the sensor connector to Controller. One of the pins was mis aligned and so it didn't get into the pin hole. So which is why it didn't sense the water for Top and Above. Fortunately found that when I was looking into it. After aligned it, it works like a charm.

Try this
I actually saw your response to do this, and the pins all appear aligned and going in as they should. I was hoping the would've solved it, but no such luck.

SheldonC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update for everyone - Red Sea support stated that because the sensor is in fresh water and not saltwater, that's why it's not working. I didn't think about it, as it's a new setup and I was doing an initial fill to get my levels correct, and hence why it didn't have salt. I'll put some salt in the tank and try again to see what happens.

OP
OP
S

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update for everyone - Red Sea support stated that because the sensor is in fresh water and not saltwater, that's why it's not working. I didn't think about it, as it's a new setup and I was doing an initial fill to get my levels correct, and hence why it didn't have salt. I'll put some salt in the tank and try again to see what happens.
Sensor should be in Saltwater and not fresh water. It won't work in Freshwater . Glad you were able to get it sorted out

SheldonC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sensor should be in Saltwater and not fresh water. It won't work in Freshwater . Glad you were able to get it sorted out
In hindsight, it makes total sense. But as a rookie reefer it would be nice if that was in the instructions :) and especially as you're trying to dial in the initial fill it'd be great if it would still work in freshwater.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back