reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
I would like to set up the srt31d in reef-pi.
Is this described somewhere?
and which one exactly is used? There are several.
I would be very happy about some help.
Just looked it up in the driver repository on GitHub and there seems to be a driver for the SHT31D. So it should be as simple as installing the pH circuits: connect the sensor to the I2C network, set up the driver and get the data from the driver using analog input connectors. You’ll likely have two „pins“ available on the driver, one for the temperature and one for the humidity data.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get my tank going more finally. I haven't been around for a while so I may be way behind on what the new updates are etc. I was curious if there would be any features for running two raspberry Pi's together? Meaning having a main reef pi controller in my tank, but I have a second one for my basement water changing/making setup (where some of the pump controls are as well). I noticed there was a way to let a remote pi access the GPIO from another pi. I guess the only other issue is needing an I2C access between them as well or at least transfer some sensor data. I know Ranjib was working on an ESP interface, but I had it planned to use the other remote basement raspberry pi already as well.

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get my tank going more finally. I haven't been around for a while so I may be way behind on what the new updates are etc. I was curious if there would be any features for running two raspberry Pi's together? Meaning having a main reef pi controller in my tank, but I have a second one for my basement water changing/making setup (where some of the pump controls are as well). I noticed there was a way to let a remote pi access the GPIO from another pi. I guess the only other issue is needing an I2C access between them as well or at least transfer some sensor data. I know Ranjib was working on an ESP interface, but I had it planned to use the other remote basement raspberry pi already as well.
As far as I know it’s planned, but not yet implemented, though I might be wrong.
Do you remember where you saw that ?

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just looked it up in the driver repository on GitHub and there seems to be a driver for the SHT31D. So it should be as simple as installing the pH circuits: connect the sensor to the I2C network, set up the driver and get the data from the driver using analog input connectors. You’ll likely have two „pins“ available on the driver, one for the temperature and one for the humidity data.
Short update, we did manage to set up the SHT31D with the native ReefPi driver.
It took a bit of work, since it would not accept the sensor under the correct address of 68 at first, but after deleting everything SHT31D related and setting up the driver again it started to work.

geekengineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know it’s planned, but not yet implemented, though I might be wrong.
Do you remember where you saw that ?
I just noticed that was a feature you could enable on the raspberry pi. I wasn't sure if it had been used with reef-pi or not.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out Hydros controllers at Aquashella - realized the enclosures are project boxes like the ones a lot of us use, it’s the little things in life

Those polycarbonate boxes aren't cheap either. Custom plastics are just a huge investment.

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those polycarbonate boxes aren't cheap either. Custom plastics are just a huge investment.

1000000631.jpg

Psh, I was using the polycarbonate boxes but I found it earlier and better looking to use a shoe box.. not the best ... But it works ..:zany-face:.... I was never the best at designing stuff... Would be interested to see how everyone else did theirs...

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000000631.jpg

Psh, I was using the polycarbonate boxes but I found it earlier and better looking to use a shoe box.. not the best ... But it works ..:zany-face:.... I was never the best at designing stuff... Would be interested to see how everyone else did theirs...

Looks great Hugo, I always underestimate the size of the box I need.

After years of being entirely “functional” today I actually finished up a new relay box with some water proofing and aesthethics in mind

New
IMG_7208.jpeg

Original
IMG_5423.jpeg

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000000631.jpg

Yeah, all the boxes are always too small realy ... :face-with-tears-of-joy:
@Hugo_Fish Here is mine:
d3b0792f-1fdd-4cb8-b4ea-452ccd702226-jpeg.3082038

The inside of the power and relay module and the sockets:
66a3c0a1-7d4f-4f8b-bbdb-e65186ae8d93-jpeg.2722258
78342008-a8af-4458-beb7-5c217062592e-jpeg.2722259

Hugo_Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Hugo, I always underestimate the size of the box I need.

After years of being entirely “functional” today I actually finished up a new relay box with some water proofing and aesthethics in mind

New
IMG_7208.jpeg

Original
IMG_5423.jpeg

Yeah, all the boxes are always too small realy ... :face-with-tears-of-joy:
@Hugo_Fish Here is mine:
d3b0792f-1fdd-4cb8-b4ea-452ccd702226-jpeg.3082038

The inside of the power and relay module and the sockets:
66a3c0a1-7d4f-4f8b-bbdb-e65186ae8d93-jpeg.2722258
78342008-a8af-4458-beb7-5c217062592e-jpeg.2722259
looking good !!

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I'm using Reef-Pi on my aquarium to control everything.
Now I'm planning to build a 2 head dosing pump. At first I'll try Tropic Marin All for Reef (tank is 150Lt)
I don't know how to choose which dosing pump to use. I think I'll use Kamoer pump but I don't know if DC or Stepper motor.
Which are the differences in precison between the 2 models?
I want a precise pump that doesn't require frequently calibration... I also plan to use concentrated solution since I don't have too much space in sump for large containers..
Thank you very much!
Best regards

Can you also please tell me what is the Volume tab in the doser configuration? it is refereed to the volume of the container?
Thank you!

Simone

Last edited:

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I'm using Reef-Pi on my aquarium to control everything.
Now I'm planning to build a 2 head dosing pump. At first I'll try Tropic Marin All for Reef (tank is 150Lt)
I don't know how to choose which dosing pump to use. I think I'll use Kamoer pump but I don't know if DC or Stepper motor.
Which are the differences in precison between the 2 models?
I want a precise pump that doesn't require frequently calibration... I also plan to use concentrated solution since I don't have too much space in sump for large containers..
Thank you very much!
Best regards

Can you also please tell me what is the Volume tab in the doser configuration? it is refereed to the volume of the container?
Thank you!

Simone
In theory, steppers require less/no ongoing calibration. In practice, slow calibration drift doesn't matter if you test for the things that you dose. If dc pumps lose calibration, you still test and still adjust how much you dose, your parameters in the tank will still be fine, you will just be thinking that you corals are growing slower/faster than they actually are. And it won't suddenly dose twice as much, it will be a few percent off. Being in calibration only matters for bragging rights or if you suddenly want to switch a motor to dose something completely different, in which case you should ALWAYS calibrate/check the amount after switching, not matter what pump.

As for precision, if you buy from kamoer you can order different tubing diameters in the pump, which massively alters flow. I have 1mm ID on DC pumps from them and with a bit of pwm i can slowly trickle single drops of liquid. I have various stepper pumps that can also do dropwise.

They dont have just 2 models, they have dozens upon dozens. the more rollers (plastic rolls pressing against the tube) the less difference between individual dosages for tiny amounts close to a single revolution of the motor. But even then that becomes irrelevant if you dose multiple times a day or even multiple times a week, it just evens out. The limiting factor is the physics of drop formation, evaporation at the end of the tube etc, not the pump.

Precision of that kind just doesn't really matter, unless you have some super concentrated solution of some trace element that you want to dose 0.1ml of every few months and more than that would be a dangerous overdose. In which case it would be smart to not hook that up to an automatic system that can malfunction in the first place.

I will say though, with the proper stepper driver, stepper motors are silent while dc motors aren't

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory, steppers require less/no ongoing calibration. In practice, slow calibration drift doesn't matter if you test for the things that you dose. If dc pumps lose calibration, you still test and still adjust how much you dose, your parameters in the tank will still be fine, you will just be thinking that you corals are growing slower/faster than they actually are. And it won't suddenly dose twice as much, it will be a few percent off. Being in calibration only matters for bragging rights or if you suddenly want to switch a motor to dose something completely different, in which case you should ALWAYS calibrate/check the amount after switching, not matter what pump.

As for precision, if you buy from kamoer you can order different tubing diameters in the pump, which massively alters flow. I have 1mm ID on DC pumps from them and with a bit of pwm i can slowly trickle single drops of liquid. I have various stepper pumps that can also do dropwise.

They dont have just 2 models, they have dozens upon dozens. the more rollers (plastic rolls pressing against the tube) the less difference between individual dosages for tiny amounts close to a single revolution of the motor. But even then that becomes irrelevant if you dose multiple times a day or even multiple times a week, it just evens out. The limiting factor is the physics of drop formation, evaporation at the end of the tube etc, not the pump.

Precision of that kind just doesn't really matter, unless you have some super concentrated solution of some trace element that you want to dose 0.1ml of every few months and more than that would be a dangerous overdose. In which case it would be smart to not hook that up to an automatic system that can malfunction in the first place.

I will say though, with the proper stepper driver, stepper motors are silent while dc motors aren't
thank you for your reply!
If you’ll go with stepper which model would you choose from Kamoer? They have too much different models and it’s not easy to choose…
On the other side I’ve seen some good review of the Kamoer KFS pump with DC motor..
I have to build my own control board so DC or stepper is not a big deal..
thank you very much!!

Do you know What is the Volume label in the Doser config of Reef-Pi?

Simone

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for your reply!
If you’ll go with stepper which model would you choose from Kamoer? They have too much different models and it’s not easy to choose…
On the other side I’ve seen some good review of the Kamoer KFS pump with DC motor..
I have to build my own control board so DC or stepper is not a big deal..
thank you very much!!

Do you know What is the Volume label in the Doser config of Reef-Pi?

Simone
I haven't tried all of them obviously. I've got NKP, KAS and KFS DC. It honestly depends where you plan to buy, what options are available.

I think the ones used on commercial pump boxes with stepper are KFS-ST which is a KFS with a stepper motor instead of gearbox+DC. The new KPAS-100 look nice, have a nice luer connector. KAS are nice for REALLY small amounts, like titration, for large amounts probably KCM. Honestly, NKP, the cheapeast option, work fine too if you choose thin tubing, those or clones of them are on most cheaper dosing pumps from hobby brands.

It's been a while that i ordered from them, can't find a current catalogue from them to download, last time i spoke to them the support on their aliexpress official store was helpful.

Not all versions are always available in both 12V and 24V so be aware of that. Otherwise, the tube size indicators start with a "S" or a "B" for silicone or BPT tubing, choose BPT if possible.

DONT cheap out on the motor drivers. A4988 suck and turn the motors into screaming demons. the typical 3D printer sound. The best i am aware of are TMC2209, those are the ones i use (well i use chinese boards that supposedly have genuine TMC chips, the original boards are a bit expensive), pretty much dead silent motor at low speed, you only hear the squish of the tubing.

No i don't know what the volume label does, i just ignore it, it came with the last big update i think

Last edited:

Simonv92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried all of them obviously. I've got NKP, KAS and KFS DC. It honestly depends where you plan to buy, what options are available.

I think the ones used on commercial pump boxes with stepper are KFS-ST which is a KFS with a stepper motor instead of gearbox+DC. The new KPAS-100 look nice, have a nice luer connector. KAS are nice for REALLY small amounts, like titration, for large amounts probably KCM. Honestly, NKP, the cheapeast option, work fine too if you choose thin tubing, those or clones of them are on most cheaper dosing pumps from hobby brands.

It's been a while that i ordered from them, can't find a current catalogue from them to download, last time i spoke to them the support on their aliexpress official store was helpful.

Not all versions are always available in both 12V and 24V so be aware of that. Otherwise, the tube size indicators start with a "S" or a "B" for silicone or BPT tubing, choose BPT if possible.

DONT cheap out on the motor drivers. A4988 suck and turn the motors into screaming demons. the typical 3D printer sound. The best i am aware of are TMC2209, those are the ones i use (well i use chinese boards that supposedly have genuine TMC chips, the original boards are a bit expensive), pretty much dead silent motor at low speed, you only hear the squish of the tubing.

No i don't know what the volume label does, i just ignore it, it came with the last big update i think

Thank you again for your quick response! Yeah Kamoer Aliexpress shop isn't that clear...
What do you think about these in the B196 version?:
Kamoer KPAS-100-ST-B196
I also found the KFS DC version in store in italy for 35€ + shipping...
I don't know what to do... In the past I had some DC motor dosing pump and they were pretty noisy.
So the stepper version are interesting. As motor driver I was already thinking about TMC2209 which I use in my 3D printer and they are great.

I'll start the tank with the Tropic Marin All for Reef which require 5-10ml/day every 100Lt. My tank will be 150Lt so I don't have to dose too much product (assuming that I'll spread the dose during the day)

LeDart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y'all, I am looking into the reef-pi, what Raspberry Pi version does it use? And how hard is it to install, and use? I want to use it for pH monitoring, and dosing.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again for your quick response! Yeah Kamoer Aliexpress shop isn't that clear...
What do you think about these in the B196 version?:
Kamoer KPAS-100-ST-B196
I also found the KFS DC version in store in italy for 35€ + shipping...
I don't know what to do... In the past I had some DC motor dosing pump and they were pretty noisy.
So the stepper version are interesting. As motor driver I was already thinking about TMC2209 which I use in my 3D printer and they are great.

I'll start the tank with the Tropic Marin All for Reef which require 5-10ml/day every 100Lt. My tank will be 150Lt so I don't have to dose too much product (assuming that I'll spread the dose during the day)
if you scroll down and click on "View More" or whatever that is in italian, at the end of the product description above specifications and reviews, you get a bunch more info including the table with the different versions.

Found a reupload of what appears to be the current catalogue with more info, i cannot vouch for this link:

If you want something that's not listed on aliexpress, again, their support their was nice and helpful. Can't hurt to ask for what you want, they might add it to the store there just for you.

B196 is the 6 roller version of B19 and is listed as 40ml/min at 350rpm, so around 0.1ml for one turn of the motor, and with 6 rollers you would get 0.02ml theoretical accuracy, which is less than a drop.

Sounds great.

And now i need to shut up, I'm starting to feel like a shill lol

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add, just noticed the B19 seems to be listed as having less throughput than B16... might want to clarify if that's not a typo on their end before ordering

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back