reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

Martin Lowry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many dont, I sleep better at night coating mine with reef safe silicone. I have one that's lasted several years in silicone with no issue. Its not pretty though.

Thanks for the insight... I'm also kind of in the space of not wanting to introduce anything into the ecosystem that was not specifically design for the environment. And, yes! it's not pretty....

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp probes and Salt water?

I have these Stainless cased temp probes. I think they came from Amazon. These have not been in Salt water yet and I'm curious as to how they will stand up to the salt over time. Do they need to be encased in something? Calk, Epoxy?
Temp Probe.jpg
I have used the ones from canakit and adafruit and none has shown rust yet. Folks are using silicon or liquid rubber to encase them for extra safety.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shrouded the temperature sensors with pieces of wide black cocktail straws from before they were banned. The diameter fits almost perfectly and i filled the gaps with black aquarium silicone. Looks well enough in my opinion, and i was unsuccessfull in finding out whether the heatshrink i have is reefsafe (there apparently are a wide variety of chemicals heatshrink can be made of). The cable side is a bit botched with the silicone, but i was impatient.

1606993053529.png

I also took a few of them apart, they didn't give me the most trustworthy appearance, with some of them the contacts of the sensor wheren't fully encased and the sensors slipped out easily from their shell, others i couldnt get out at all without peeling away the metal with pliers bit by bit:

1606993343362.png

Last edited:

Martin Lowry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your build, i just read through it. Awesome build , so much cleaner than my first build :) . Congrats
I shrouded the temperature sensors with pieces of wide black cocktail straws from before they were banned. The diameter fits almost perfectly and i filled the gaps with black aquarium silicone. Looks well enough in my opinion, and i was unsuccessfull in finding out whether the heatshrink i have is reefsafe (there apparently are a wide variety of chemicals heatshrink can be made of). The cable side is a bit botched with the silicone, but i was impatient.

1606993053529.png

I also took a few of them apart, they didn't give me the most trustworthy appearance, with some of them the contacts of the sensor wheren't fully encased and the sensors slipped out easily from their shell, others i couldnt get out at all without peeling away the metal with pliers bit by bit:

1606993343362.png
I like the cocktail straw idea. Just checked with the Mrs. and we only have the white ones :(. Black silicone is a good idea. The back of my display tank is Black so even if my silicone job looks a bit messy it would likely blend in with the back of the tank.

Martin Lowry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a 4th DS18b20 to monitor enclosure internal temperature. I have the @Michael Lane Goby Hat which has three connectors for temperature probes. I understand that many probes can be attached to the 1 wire interface, just wondering if I can hook up another to the Goby Hat and if the resistor is needed.

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a new update of the raspberry pi os, it appears to have been launched today.

It's late night/early morning in my part of the world, I'll most probably run it in the morning if I have time.

Just giving a heads up, hopefully some peeps will update before I arise and have some sort of feedback...

Des Westcott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just noticed something maybe @Ranjib can clear up for me...

In the Configurations > Settings Tab there is a checkbox for "Enable Notifications". Mine is unchecked, but I have notifications set up and they are working just fine.

*Edit* Actually, there are a couple of things on that same page I'm unsure about
- What does the "Address" box do?

What is that box for?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just noticed something maybe @Ranjib can clear up for me...

In the Configurations > Settings Tab there is a checkbox for "Enable Notifications". Mine is unchecked, but I have notifications set up and they are working just fine.

*Edit* Actually, there are a couple of things on that same page I'm unsure about
- What does the "Address" box do?

What is that box for?
Address there stands for web address in IP:pORT format. It allows you to configure reef-pi with non standard port (in case something else is using default port 80) or use 443 when using https. User can also use ip 127.0.0.1 to make reef-pi more secure, where it’s only accessible from the same host.

Any changes in configuration tab will require a reload to take effect

Dukereefnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reef-pi - Robotank build is working, it just ran my dosing pump sitting on my deck but I can no longer assess it on my PC or tablet. PuTTy does not connect ether.
I accessed my router and it shows that it is wifi connected.

Any idea's where to start? I have not powered in down by pulling the plug as I do not like doing that if i do not have to.
thanks

LOL - re-powered the router and bingo... up and running...
cheers

Last edited:

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reef-pi - Robotank build is working, it just ran my dosing pump sitting on my deck but I can no longer assess it on my PC or tablet. PuTTy does not connect ether.
I accessed my router and it shows that it is wifi connected.

Any idea's where to start? I have not powered in down by pulling the plug as I do not like doing that if i do not have to.
thanks
Check the IP address on your router, it might have changed for the pi.

JFReyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to make the temp charts have a min other than 0? Back in the day, I could specify a min and max, but those options are gone now. Does it happen automatically? I'm on 4.0...
Hi:

I prepared a modified version of reef-pi that allows for custom ranges in the temp & pH charts. You can find it at Robo-Tanks's forum here.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man get busy and blink and reef-pi is out with v4, congrats. :) Where can I go to find the release notes in the threads, anyone have that handy? Found it...wish my tank looked as nice as your @Ranjib I'm currently in Dino hades. Things are running so well on 3.x that I am always reluctant to mess with things.

On another note, I am wanting/needing to start dosing Kalk and I do not want to run it in my ATO, I have @Michael Lane hat and dosing module hooked up to a jaebo doser but having second thoughts on using the Jaebo. Thinking of going with w/ a BRS doser controlled by reefpi on a timer. What is everyone using for dosing, I have a Nano tank and overdosing is much easier to accomplish, I've given a lot of thought to try to make it as fail proof as possible just looking for some advice.

Last edited:

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man get busy and blink and reef-pi is out with v4, congrats. :) Where can I go to find the release notes in the threads, anyone have that handy? Things are running so well on 3.x that I am always reluctant to mess with things.

On another note, I am wanting/needing to start dosing Kalk and I do not want to run it in my ATO, I have @Michael Lane hat and dosing module hooked up to a jaebo doser but having second thoughts on using the Jaebo. Thinking of going with w/ a BRS doser controlled by reefpi on a timer. What is everyone using for dosing, I have a Nano tank and overdosing is much easier to accomplish, I've given a lot of thought to try to make it as fail proof as possible just looking for some advice.

I have been using the Jaebo doser for several years without a hickup. Its super easy to integrate into reefpi and replacement heads are like $20. You dont even really need to use the jeabo heads. You can get replacement pump/head assemblies for like $10. I daily dose 30ml of Alk and Calc, 3ml of magnesium, and 2ml of nitrate.

bishoptf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using the Jaebo doser for several years without a hickup. Its super easy to integrate into reefpi and replacement heads are like $20. You dont even really need to use the jeabo heads. You can get replacement pump/head assemblies for like $10. I daily dose 30ml of Alk and Calc, 3ml of magnesium, and 2ml of nitrate.

Yeah I have it already setup and ready to go but I read all the horror stories and it freaks me out, very new to reefing, only had my 30g nano going for 5-6 months, tank is a mess atm due to Dino's but a pump staying on and dumping a bunch of limewater into the tank, shudder.

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have it already setup and ready to go but I read all the horror stories and it freaks me out, very new to reefing, only had my 30g nano going for 5-6 months, tank is a mess atm due to Dino's but a pump staying on and dumping a bunch of limewater into the tank, shudder.

I was a bit nervous myself. But honestly if the pump stays on thats a reefpi issue not doser issue and would happen controlling any brand pump. The only thing you really need to be concerned about is if the head or motor stops operating.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue with the jebao dosers is that the pump controller/interface is awful - and completely unintuitive. I'd guess a significant percent of the failures are really configuration problems, or the terrible advice of putting your dosing container above your sump - where a failed head leads to siphoning.

You're shortcutting most of the problems controlling it via reef-pi

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back