reef-pi :: An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get a browser to run. I keep getting an error message saying dpkg-query: no packages found matching bluealsa and then it says (chromium-browser-v7:786): Gtk-WARNING ** cannot open display: and then it go back to the terminal.
Is it time to start with a fresh install on a new sd card?
Idk that's going over my head I'm not that deep into unix

Maybe a fresh install might work if Boone else can help

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys after 3 years of usage of reef pi summers I have chillers on, no change only update of reefpi.. it turs on wents spins, hysteresis is 1 c and turns off after 30s so something is wrong with program .. any suggestions? Downgrade maybee..

Attachments

• 05FD11A4-C121-48ED-80DD-C2E8FB7DA815.jpeg
    05FD11A4-C121-48ED-80DD-C2E8FB7DA815.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 38
  • A73DC2B1-529F-40AB-86D4-87604AC387AC.jpeg
    A73DC2B1-529F-40AB-86D4-87604AC387AC.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 37
  • FFBC4D40-8DF7-4C4E-8447-FC3EC57C750B.jpeg
    FFBC4D40-8DF7-4C4E-8447-FC3EC57C750B.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 3B99E3E1-6236-49DD-B5C3-DBEBE14DFC6B.png
    3B99E3E1-6236-49DD-B5C3-DBEBE14DFC6B.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, did a smal overtaking maneuver of some 100 pages now! i have notised nog that there are a lot of topics starting:
@Ranjib + question?
And always a full reply followed by @Ranjib !

So @Ranjib, just a random thank you for the effort you put into this ;)!

Also i can not acces the .deb files on github, still need to update to 4.0 or 4.1...
<3 thank you so much. Kind words like this keeps our spirit lifted in these difficult times. Thank you.

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could need some help with prometheus... got a new raspberry with grafana working, installed prometheus on it and then.. my knowledge stops ... cant seem to get it working on the localhost:9090
1623222161322.png
Prometheus is the metrics store , while grafana is the dashboarding tool.
- Assuming both are running, you have to first configure grafana to use prometheus as the data source. You can do that by going to grafana's setting and adding a new /default data source , prometheus (check google , there should be lots of tutorials on this).
- Next, decide what will send /store metrics to prometheus. If you are using reef-pi, configure reef-pi to use prometheus and reload.

that's it , next you can go to grafana and start making dashboards with the metrics that reef-pi emits. You can see all the metrics reef-pi emits in the reef-pi-IP/x/metrics page

OP
OP
Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get a browser to run. I keep getting an error message saying dpkg-query: no packages found matching bluealsa and then it says (chromium-browser-v7:786): Gtk-WARNING ** cannot open display: and then it go back to the terminal.
Is it time to start with a fresh install on a new sd card?
yes. if you are not familiar with Linux. something has messed up the GUI. you can copy over reef-pi db for backup.

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Ranjib I am still lurking here and still have my reef-pi running all this time :) Temperature, dosing, ATO, lighting, timers have all been working flawlessly for a long time now!
The only small thing that I have been meaning to get fixed for a while now is that occasionally my reef-pi drops off the network (wifi connection) and cannot be accessed via the IP address or the .local address. However it can still be accessed by VNC. Rarely VNC will not connect and I have to power off and on my pi4.
Usually I log in to VNC and go to admin>reboot and this fixes it for a while.
Is there any obvious reason why this could be happening? Is there a way to automatically reboot my reef-pi once per day?

Thanks!!

Phistergosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 exciting things to share!

First off, I just listed Leviathan 1.1 for pre-order! The biggest roadblock for people using Leviathan 1.0 was dealing with multiple power supplies & buck converters. Leviathan 1.1 has on-board power regulation, meaning you just have to give it 12V & the board does all the work to get the 10V & 5V signals where they need to be. It's got a few more ports & an all-around "cleaner" look as well, since I was able to plan this one out from scratch with the learning experience of 1.0.

To celebrate, I'm running a giveaway on my site to win all sorts of cool stuff including Raspberry Pis with Reef-Pi pre-loaded & programmed, an Aquatic Life 100 GPD RODI filter system, & of course the Leviathan 1.1 board itself.

R2R 350x250.png

Second, I've finally got my build thread populated now & I thought ya'll would appreciate the canopy I laser-etched for it. It was my first large-scale laser project & I'm super happy with how it turned out. The graphic is one I designed of a fish wrapped around Knoxville's Sunsphere.

11.jpg

It's been a wild ride the past few years going from virtually zero electronics experience to designing & buildings hundreds of these boards. But it's been super rewarding seeing the growth of Reef-Pi as both a program & a community! My aquarium inhabitants owe you (quite literally) their lives Ranjib! Without Reef-Pi, I'm positive I would have given up on my tank after a year or two of things like daily manual top-offs & physically unplugging pumps & powerheads for every feeding & water change.
Do you need a raspberry pi (like the one for 35 on your site) or does the 49 dollar kit come with one preinstalled?

Also where do I find the recommended accessories on your web site? You mentioned at some point that there are probes and sensors that are known to work.

Schreiber

Leviathan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need a raspberry pi (like the one for 35 on your site) or does the 49 dollar kit come with one preinstalled?

Also where do I find the recommended accessories on your web site? You mentioned at some point that there are probes and sensors that are known to work.
You do need a Pi still, you'd have to buy that & the board to get everything to function. I hadn't thought to add the part list to the site, but I'll do that tomorrow- here's the link in the meantime.

I typically send links to things like part list & instructions along with the shipping notification. But it makes sense that having it ahead of time would be helpful!

drnibz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all I am working on setting up reef-pi to controll lights and monitor pH, I'm looking to get some support as I am having some issues. and i hope this is the right place for that.
i am having issues with ML pi goby hat and his ph-board and vpar adapter. when i connect the hat and run i2c detect i get 2 devices on addresses 40 and 70 i assume this is for the 2 i2c ports for ph probe modules. once i plug the ph-boar and run i2c detect again i get 40 70 and 45 (is this normal) I connected the ph-probe directly to the pi and i get device on address 45 shouldn't it be on 40 what am i missing here?
am i setting it up wrong on the reef-pi? if so, what driver should i use ph-board or ph-ezo I tried both one gives me i2c write error the latter reads 0 ph
please help

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all I am working on setting up reef-pi to controll lights and monitor pH, I'm looking to get some support as I am having some issues. and i hope this is the right place for that.
i am having issues with ML pi goby hat and his ph-board and vpar adapter. when i connect the hat and run i2c detect i get 2 devices on addresses 40 and 70 i assume this is for the 2 i2c ports for ph probe modules. once i plug the ph-boar and run i2c detect again i get 40 70 and 45 (is this normal) I connected the ph-probe directly to the pi and i get device on address 45 shouldn't it be on 40 what am i missing here?
am i setting it up wrong on the reef-pi? if so, what driver should i use ph-board or ph-ezo I tried both one gives me i2c write error the latter reads 0 ph
please help
Hi, the 40 and 70 belong to the pca9685, 70 can be ignored.

The 45 will be the pH circuit, that's why it appears when you connect it.

Unfortunately the list in Linux are Hex values, not for humans, reef-pi uses the decimal conversion as devices on the market use those. Here's a calculator that will convert Hex to Decimal.

You'll see 40 = 64 and 45 = 69, the 64 and 69 are the addresses for reef-pi.

I believe that pH circuit uses the ph-board driver.

drnibz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, the 40 and 70 belong to the pca9685, 70 can be ignored.

The 45 will be the pH circuit, that's why it appears when you connect it.

Unfortunately the list in Linux are Hex values, not for humans, reef-pi uses the decimal conversion as devices on the market use those. Here's a calculator that will convert Hex to Decimal.

You'll see 40 = 64 and 45 = 69, the 64 and 69 are the addresses for reef-pi.

I believe that pH circuit uses the ph-board driver.
Thank you for the explanation, I can't say that I had a duh moment (as all that u mentioned is new) but it made me aware of that differentiation (I have a lot to learn)
I was able to get a reading from my pH probe but is in the 2200, I think it's the probe so have a new one coming and we'll see. or (read somewhere that it could indicate a wiring issue)
I was also able to get my lights to ramp up and down and are now controlled by the Reef-pi
thanks again! @robsworld78 i only found out about your hardware after I got everything :confused:

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the explanation, I can't say that I had a duh moment (as all that u mentioned is new) but it made me aware of that differentiation (I have a lot to learn)
I was able to get a reading from my pH probe but is in the 2200, I think it's the probe so have a new one coming and we'll see. or (read somewhere that it could indicate a wiring issue)
I was also able to get my lights to ramp up and down and are now controlled by the Reef-pi
thanks again! @robsworld78 i only found out about your hardware after I got everything :confused:
No worries, it all does the same thing. Sounds like you have it working now, not sure about the 2200 reading though, you may need to calibrate it before you get a normal reading. You can check by opening calibration and enter 7.0 in step one, then close, enable pH and you should get around 7.0.

drnibz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@robsworld78 again thanks a bunch for your input it helped immensely!!
pH probe functional
lights functional

On to additional addons (moonlight, dosing pump, ATO, and some macros and timers)

I just came across this document, not sure how I missed it Reef-pi User Manual has a lot of answers. I now feel that I didn't do my research quite well ;Bookworm:rolleyes: ima leave it here for the next person

kiwinewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

Hi Ranjib hope you or someone can help.

My raspberry pi crashed couldn't connect to it as it kept freezing on boot.

Reinstalled operating system and reef pi, went through setting up connectors and hit a problem with temperature control. When I go to add heaters to a temperature probe it keeps coming up with "Hysteresis incorrect no matter what value I put in.

Any ideas anyone?

kiwinewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ranjib

Hi Ranjib hope you or someone can help.

My raspberry pi crashed couldn't connect to it as it kept freezing on boot.

Reinstalled operating system and reef pi, went through setting up connectors and hit a problem with temperature control. When I go to add heaters to a temperature probe it keeps coming up with "Hysteresis incorrect no matter what value I put in.

Any ideas anyone?
Sorted :) ended up that I installed 3.0 for pi0 instead of 4.0 for pi3, started again now working smooth as. rushing to get control of my tank again ended up making a simple error.

Now that's sorted I can focus on Euphyllia eating flatworm instead :(

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ATO, I run a simple float valve, backed up up by an inline electric solenoid valve driven off a timer. Stays open long enough to top off the water, and fails closed during power outage. Two means of shutoff, but the float has always shut the water off before the valve ever had to kick in. Simple and effective... A little each day keeps the salt creep away...
This is a good solution. I need to do this. Using the solenoid to open when switch goes down is asking for trouble. Wish neptune made an always closed version. It was meant to be just a ball valve gravity drip set to match evap as I always had it..with the addition of the solenoid set as backup to be always open and shut when high switch triggered. Cant even remember why I programmed differently.
I just have to fashion my own hang on or magnetic holder for the float valve install. Anyone seen any good non-drill setups on 40b style sump?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back