Reef Pro Fully Conditioned Fish Review Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

stevellem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please fill us in on the steps they recommended to reduce your phosphates and nitrates.
This is the information I used from Gilbert at ReefPro:

SHORT TERM

• weekly water change
  • dose Reef Pro BioEX daily) RedSea makes a product NO3:pO4X which I’m now using)
  • Change GFO weekly
  • I’m also dosing Microbacter 7 daily

LONG TERM

cut down fish feeding to 2x per day
  • cut down feeding flake food
  • cut down feeding pellets
  • rinse frozen food in RO/DI water
  • feed more seaweed (e.g. use a seaweed clip)
  • turn off return pump when feeding
  • check Calcium when PO4 decreases- corals will end up using more my

stevellem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this fish does not eat frozen foods no matter where you purchase this fish from. Similar to orange spot filefish, the natural diet of this fish is coral polyps. Your expectation of finding this fish eating frozen foods will likely never happen. This fish is extremely difficult to keep, that is why very few venders will even offer this fish for sale.
As I stated in my post, I was fully aware that this species was a strict corallivore based on my attempts to keep it over the years. The sole reason I purchased this fish from ReefPro was based on:

1) the telephone conversation I had previous to placing the order (12/19) where the individual I spoke to told me he saw them eating mysis (which since you did not address this point leads me to believe this was disingenuous),

2) the benefit stated in your Conditioning protocol, specifically the second bullet point of “Why Buy ReefPro Conditioned Fish”

- Eating prepared foods

and,

“Upon completion of conditioning, all fish are examined, ensure they eating readily available prepared foods, and are conditioned for aquarium life.”

Note the term “All fish” not “excludes expert only care level fish” (see comments below under My Suggestions and see screenshots): “ and,

3) anecdotal reports with videos of aquarists having specimens of corallivores, specifically the orange faced butterfly, eating prepared foods.

Contrary to the information I was given on the phone and in contrast to the statement in your Conditioning Protocol regarding “eating prepared foods”, your reply was:

“Your expectation of finding this fish eating frozen foods will likely never happen”.

It was evident from the time I received the fish that it had in fact not been eating based on the sunken abdomen and sunken fat store areas.

My Suggestions

To avoid others repeating the same experience I had (of guarantees not being met):

1) amend the language in your Conditioning Protocol to state “excludes expert care species such as the Orange faced butterfly”, etc.

2) make explicit in the description page for the species (see screenshot) that this species is “expert care only” (as you stated in your email to me “ please keep in mind these fish are incredibly difficult to keep and are [sic] notes as expert only care level “ - I don’t see where this is stated in the description page for the fish)

At this point, I see no advantage that ReefPro provides in sourcing species like the orange faced butterfly. Since they are available locally for me , those that I find available at my LFS will have the same potential of eating (or not eating) as those purchased through ReefPro.

Attachments

• 5192DF06-A5CA-43DD-9DB1-E393E38FE3F7.png
    5192DF06-A5CA-43DD-9DB1-E393E38FE3F7.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 656AE59E-269C-452E-80EA-6A7D9892A83F.png
    656AE59E-269C-452E-80EA-6A7D9892A83F.png
    113 KB · Views: 46

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately this fish does not eat frozen foods no matter where you purchase this fish from. Similar to orange spot filefish, the natural diet of this fish is coral polyps. Your expectation of finding this fish eating frozen foods will likely never happen. This fish is extremely difficult to keep, that is why very few venders will even offer this fish for sale.
So you are basically selling a fish that eats corals and is almost impossible to keep - doesn’t sound like a very wise fish to be selling to your customers. Or am i missing something here?

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won auctions for a pink streaked wrasse and a helfrichi firefish on 2/3. On the day the fish were to be shipped, 2/7, I received an email from ReefPro stating that the pink streaked wrasse did not meet their quality standards and they would not be able to ship one to me. I was given the option of getting a refund on the wrasse and receiving the firefish, or wait until more wrasse were available. I opted to wait for more pink streaked wrasse to become available.

On 2/19, I viewed the website and saw that more pink streaked wrasse were listed for sale. I sent an email to ReefPro to see if the new batch of wrasse were in and passing their quality standards. On 2/21, I received an email from ReefPro stating that they did receive more pink streaked wrasse, but had no helfrichi firefish in stock. I looked at the website and the website shows that they have two helfrichi firefish available.

I appreciate ReefPro not shipping out unhealthy fish, however, I wish communication from ReefPro was better.

This is just my experience so far. I will update when the fish arrive.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately we no longer offer fully quarantine. All our fish are fully conditioned. Please find our conditioning protocol below. Thank you

Our fish are conditioned. We do not offer a fully quarantined option at this time. If you’d like to learn about our conditioning protocol please see below:
Please explain the difference to me. I just bought a juvenile tusk from you. It says that they are housed in copper. What level? Therapeutic levels? How long are they in copper? I need to know because if I want to treat with Chloroquine, I need to know if they were in copper.

You also say they are eating foods treated with Metro and Prazi. I shouldn't have do run a course of API GC then.

Would you recommend observation over prophylactic treatment?

Why the departure from pre-quarrantine?
I really wish you would do full QT, I'm hesitant to getting another since it would go right into DT since all my fish are bought fully QT.
I second this.
Fully Conditioned for a while now. I think the Quarantine cost was putting some folks off. That said, the times I have ordered from Reef Pro everything has come in great.
The price isn't really cheaper than full QT.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the fish today. He showed up in good shape.

I don't understand why you absolutely REFUSE to answer my question about the copper. I have asked you directly 2 times in a chat and once on this thread, yet you just ignore it. You may sell good fish, but your withholding of information is not OK.

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won auctions for a pink streaked wrasse and a helfrichi firefish on 2/3. On the day the fish were to be shipped, 2/7, I received an email from ReefPro stating that the pink streaked wrasse did not meet their quality standards and they would not be able to ship one to me. I was given the option of getting a refund on the wrasse and receiving the firefish, or wait until more wrasse were available. I opted to wait for more pink streaked wrasse to become available.

On 2/19, I viewed the website and saw that more pink streaked wrasse were listed for sale. I sent an email to ReefPro to see if the new batch of wrasse were in and passing their quality standards. On 2/21, I received an email from ReefPro stating that they did receive more pink streaked wrasse, but had no helfrichi firefish in stock. I looked at the website and the website shows that they have two helfrichi firefish available.

I appreciate ReefPro not shipping out unhealthy fish, however, I wish communication from ReefPro was better.

This is just my experience so far. I will update when the fish arrive.
The fish arrived yesterday. The heat pack was still warm and the fish were active and colorful, despite the stress of shipping. I followed the acclimation guide that Reef Pro included in the shipping box and they were already swimming around yesterday evening (with the lights out).

They appeared to be healthy with no visible signs of illness or injury.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
looking to purchase a blotchy but i see no reviews here :(. my only gripe is i was hoping to find someone who has purchased a small blotchy (<1in), rather than a 2-3+ in one.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking to purchase a blotchy but i see no reviews here :(. my only gripe is i was hoping to find someone who has purchased a small blotchy (<1in), rather than a 2-3+ in one.
For the price being charged….I agree it would be great to get some strong endorsements on these anthias.

tchan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 3 small blotchy from them during the Mother’s Day special pack for my frag tank. The temperature in the bags are around 72. They are small but very active. Eat Omaga one flakes and frozen foods the next day. Also bought 2 fairy wrasses on that same shipment for the display tank. One comes next day and eats flakes and frozen foods. The other (8 line flasher) haven’t seen it since. Hopefully it will come out when comfortable. I do have lots of big fishes in there.

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to Reef Pro! I just got a "large" pink streak wrasse, which is still in acclimation. I was nervous because I heard these pinkies don't ship well but the little guy arrived alive and appears to be fine. My fingers are crossed that he continues to do well but I can say that Reef Pro did a professional job in packing and shipping, and in sending me a healthy looking fish. Thanks Reef Pro! For others wanting a Pink Streaked Wrasse, I would recommend them.

OP
OP
Reef Pro

Reef Pro

Reef Pro Complete --> Reefprostore.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to Reef Pro! I just got a "large" pink streak wrasse, which is still in acclimation. I was nervous because I heard these pinkies don't ship well but the little guy arrived alive and appears to be fine. My fingers are crossed that he continues to do well but I can say that Reef Pro did a professional job in packing and shipping, and in sending me a healthy looking fish. Thanks Reef Pro! For others wanting a Pink Streaked Wrasse, I would recommend them.
We are glad to hear you are pleased with your purchase !

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a beautiful male personifier from Reef Pro today. The transaction itself was seamless as I actually picked it up as an exception to their policy of no in store pick ups. Tat was appreciated. Thanks Gilbert.

There were a couple of things I wish would have been different. The fish was undersized by a solid 1/4 inch and it has white stringy poop (internal parasites). They say on web site that “During the 7-day conditioning process, each specimen is fed prepared foods infused with medications such as Metronitozole, Kanamycin, Praziquantel”. Later I found out thats only when needed so its Not “each specimen” . The personifier didn’t get the meds treatment even though it was needed(white stringy poop”. HAs nothing to do with not being a QT speciemn because they dont do that. It has to do with their so called conditioning protocol which was not followed as written. I even asked the employee upon pick up and was told he was given no treatments for flukes or internal parasites because there was no signs of them being present in the month thy had him. I guess white stringy poop is not a sign.

Overall I would say the transaction was pretty ok and ordinary. Certainly not designed to delight the customer. Would encourage them to follow their own described protocol or change the definition and language on web site. I will fully Quarantine him with prazi. Metro in food and copper for 30 days.

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say on web site that “During the 7-day conditioning process, each specimen is fed prepared foods infused with medications such as Metronitozole, Kanamycin, Praziquantel”. Later I found out thats only when needed so its Not “each specimen” . The personifier didn’t get the meds treatment even though it was needed(white stringy poop”. HAs nothing to do with not being a QT speciemn because they dont do that. It has to do with their so called conditioning protocol which was not followed as written.
I'm disappointed to hear that. I have my new pink-streaked wrasse from Reef Pro quarantined but had been counting on Reef Pro's stated protocol to treat for parasites. I don't see stringy poops but my little guy is hiding so I wouldn't necessarily see them and don't want to risk it. So, I guess I'll be treating prophalactically....Thanks for the heads up! I am grateful that my wrasse arrived alive and appearing to be well though, since they are known to be poor shippers.

Last edited:

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have added that there web site is very cool to navigate and transact
I'm disappointed to hear that. I have my new pink-streaked wrasse from Reef Pro quarantined but had been counting on Reef Pro's stated protocol to treat for parasites. I don't see stringy poops but my little guy is hiding so I wouldn't necessarily see them and don't want to risk it. So, I guess I'll be treating prophalactically....Thanks for the heads up! I am grateful that my wrasse arrived alive and appearing to be well though, since they are known to be poor shippers.
It’s unfortunate but it really is customer beware with most vendors these days…..

FishSkedee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the small 3pack, very active little fish, they are in a 40g breeder observation tank. Feeding fresh BBS, mysis and flakes. The fish came packaged well with instructions to drip acclimate, for the price I think it was a great deal, added a couple more fish to get the free shipping..

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just being patient as its 3rd day and he hasn’t eaten mysis or clam on half shell…..

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone recall what salinity the fish are shipped/kept in? I have a shipment coming in and want to make day of acclimation as easy as possible for me.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back