Reefer 425XL - Remote Sump?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo I just moved into a new home and lucky enough I have an opportunity to start up a new tank! I decided on the Red Sea Reefer 425XL but i got to thinking...Which is typically not the best for my wallet lol. Has anyone done a remote sump for more customization on the Red Sea reefer series? I already have the Ecotech Marine L1 pump and would not have more than 15 feet down to the basement. Anyone have any thoughts on this crazy idea? I have a 90 gallon tall I could do something with as well as a 20 gallon tank. Here are a few items I have:

Reefer 425xl deluxe tank (With the AI hydra 26 HD lights)
1 radion g3 pro
1 radion xr15
Arid 18 algae reactor
Ecotech Vectra L1
Mp10
MP40
Synergy Reef CL-34 Sump ( i was dumb and drilled the side wall in the return pump section)
Apex Fusion
three DOS dosers
AquaSmart AWC and ATO
BRS 6 stage 150 gpd with Chloromine buster filter

Any thoughts or insights would be very much appreciated!

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you're talking about moving the sump from the stand to the basement? With the right equipment, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. You would probably need to look at getting a higher powered return pump as I don't believe the vectra would have the right flow for the head pressure you would need. You would also need to find a way to extend/convert the metric red sea main down flow pipe to make it into your basement. I've seen some builds where they have completely removed the stock diaphgram pipe and replaced with a standard gate valve assembly.

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming you're talking about moving the sump from the stand to the basement? With the right equipment, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. You would probably need to look at getting a higher powered return pump as I don't believe the vectra would have the right flow for the head pressure you would need. You would also need to find a way to extend/convert the metric red sea main down flow pipe to make it into your basement. I've seen some builds where they have completely removed the stock diaphgram pipe and replaced with a standard gate valve assembly.
Thank you mjlash22! I figured I would have to hard plumb it to the basement from the living room. the L1 has the following chart... What would you recommend as the flow for the Reefer 425xl? isnt it like 800lph? Not sure to be honest...

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your tank the recommended flow is 1060gph. So you could have a max head of 10-12ft to work with. If you're not running a manifold or other equipment off of the return, it's possible but you would be running pretty much at 100% on the pump, and still maybe not quite getting the full flow rate.

Just doing some estimated math, if you were to run just a straight pipe from the return, up from the basement to the tank's return...4-5ft for the tank height alone, plus I'm going to assume anywhere from 4-7ft from basement sump on a stand to top of basement ceiling. That would give you a range of 8-12ft of head pressure that would be needed for the proper flow rate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking I may be better off just doing a remote ATO and AWC with the AquaSmart.... maybe use the Arid in the sump with the Skimmer (Vertex IN180). I am looking into calcium reactors as I REALLY want this to be a successful SPS tank. Maybe locate the ATO and the calcium reactor in the basement? Do you run the AIs on your tank? Looking into your build now...

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking I may be better off just doing a remote ATO and AWC with the AquaSmart.... maybe use the Arid in the sump with the Skimmer (Vertex IN180). I am looking into calcium reactors as I REALLY want this to be a successful SPS tank. Maybe locate the ATO and the calcium reactor in the basement? Do you run the AIs on your tank? Looking into your build now...
Yes I purchased the deluxe and am using the included Hyrda's. I did not use the stock ATO reservoir, but will later convert it to a refugium and place it in its normal position over the filter sock area.

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I purchased the deluxe and am using the included Hyrda's. I did not use the stock ATO reservoir, but will later convert it to a refugium and place it in its normal position over the filter sock area.
I just went through your build and it is beautifully done! Sucks about the ATO container though... Do you have a replacement on the way?

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through your build and it is beautifully done! Sucks about the ATO container though... Do you have a replacement on the way?
Yes, BRS has excellent customer service! And much appreciated!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back