OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to isolate the salinity probe to the inline probe holder, since it’s recommended to avoid any electrical interference from wires. But it’s in the way of my drain gate valve, will have to rotate the valve to face down.
941E2876-1DE1-4A31-A75B-8070D31B5F1F.jpeg
Moved the ORP inline instead of the SAL probe, cos the SAL readings went from 19ppt to 29ppt and stayed there. ORP is doing much better inline. SAL reading came back down to 19ppt and my HANNA checked out at 18.5ppt. My TMP probe is in synced with my HANNA.

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 10 - AMMONIA 1.5mg/L still no sign of relenting.

88439302-EC82-4FD2-B123-C05CC69C7F09.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, congrats!
Feels like "forever" of a wait I bet.
You’re so right! I’ll either drop some black molly in or dose the remaining ammonium chloride for repeatability then proceed to the 25% water change at the end of day 12 or 13. Thereafter I will raise the salinity over a week from the current 18.5ppt to 35ppt. Only then I can consider the tank cycled.

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t get any mollies. Emptied the remaining content of Ammonium Chloride to the tank... 10ml more than the recommended 25ml. 3 hrs later, tested water to find it’s backed to 1.5mg/L. Let’s see how quick the bacteria digest this round!
5954AF7C-A2C5-4264-B66E-8E1798E1311E.jpeg

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...just out of curiosity, why specifically mollies and not something like Chromis viridis?
My current salinity is 18+ppt. Freshwater mollies provide ammonia without the need to be pre quarantined . I’m taking this opportunity to convert the mollies to salt water as I slowing increase to 35ppt over the next week or two. Once converted, the mollies are my canaries, plus they are good algae grazers.

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK CYCLED! Replaced 20% of water along with gunk from the sump. The clarifier packages comes with Caribsea sand really sticks to every possible surface! Ammonia remains 0.
9D95CB0D-D3AF-4B9A-A66F-6912D6BE7E2D.jpeg

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Build! I look forward to seeing how your ATS works. Considering doing something similar.
Thanks! I'm putting through 1500 LPH on the drain not sure if that is too much for the hair algae. Nonetheless, I'll be putting in the 2 TUNZE ECO CHIC REFUGIUM LED, but I doubt there is enough nutrient in the water column. IF I am to do the ATS, I would raise the walls an inch taller to contain the salt spray, not much but is there. Cheers!

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting observation when I turned on the UV my ORP jumped from 170+ to 250+. Is there correlation or coincidence?

IMG_0674.PNG

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be some correlation between the actual process of UV radiation within the saltwater environment and how it creates ozone within the UV chamber, from the graph below you can clearly see that during the process of adding MB clean, and shutting off the UV, the ORP reading dropped, but after the 2-hour off interval, started to recover as you can see by the slow progression of the ORP back to its current state. IMHO, this to me shows there is some sort of correlation and just maybe that the UV is producing ozone, however, I don't know how one could prove it or if it can even be measured/factual?

1611065080402.png

OP
OP
Saltees

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be some correlation between the actual process of UV radiation within the saltwater environment and how it creates ozone within the UV chamber, from the graph below you can clearly see that during the process of adding MB clean, and shutting off the UV, the ORP reading dropped, but after the 2-hour off interval, started to recover as you can see by the slow progression of the ORP back to its current state. IMHO, this to me shows there is some sort of correlation and just maybe that the UV is producing ozone, however, I don't know how one could prove it or if it can even be measured/factual?

1611065080402.png
Interesting...it’s oxidizing the organics in MB clean.

My understanding from my short dabble in Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP) for water treatment, germicidal UVC (254nm) like ours, destroys Ozone, which is why I deliberately run my UV Sterilizer after my ozone fed skimmer (not turned on yet) to destroy any residual ozone in the water column before entering the display tank.

Whereas UV (185nm) does create Ozone, but I doubt we have that in our sterilizer, because our nose would have picked that up.

Tacticool-Reefer

I have spoken!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting...it’s oxidizing the organics in MB clean.

My understanding from my short dabble in Advanced Oxidation Process (AOP) for water treatment, germicidal UVC (254nm) like ours, destroys Ozone, which is why I deliberately run my UV Sterilizer after my ozone fed skimmer (not turned on yet) to destroy any residual ozone in the water column before entering the display tank.

Whereas UV (185nm) does create Ozone, but I doubt we have that in our sterilizer, because our nose would have picked that up.
I agree however could it just simply be that the amount of ozone is so diluted in the water column that we just can't smell it? Either way, it's a very interesting observation and one that merits more investigation.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back