ReefMat Install Vids?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

vinsonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably didn’t need to remove the filter sock holders but they’re annoying so out they came. Pretty easy installation otherwise and is using about 20” daily so far on a very heavily stocked and fed tank. Will probably add some bio bricks under the empty section where the socks/cups used to hang down. Didn’t use any adapters, just added the provided sealant and zip tied the hose onto the stock downpipe. Installing another one on a 500 gallon today, but need to print an adapter to connect a second together from a 2” drain pipe

9D60C86B-F152-4F69-9782-3797A97609EA.jpeg
E29F95B4-B6F5-41ED-8C56-C5A39079AAC5.jpeg

It looks like we have the same 425xl V3 sump and you managed to keep the ATO.....what about your refugium? The Red Sea website says there's no room for it if you keep the ATO and was curious if you managed a way around it. Thanks!

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any pics of the plumbing connection between the stock Red Sea plumbing and the ReefMat? I don't think my installer did it correctly.... He removed the stock grey clip that supports the main line and now it's just kind of hanging, which is pulling down on the drain plumbing.

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to hard plumb this. I was think of doing this as I don't like flexible hoses as they get in the way. I in the process of ordering plumbing for my RSR 250 v3 to convert to spears gate valve and this will go from 32mm to 1". Does anyone know the size of the union that is on the feefmat? I was wandering if I could plumb into this

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any pics of the plumbing connection between the stock Red Sea plumbing and the ReefMat? I don't think my installer did it correctly.... He removed the stock grey clip that supports the main line and now it's just kind of hanging, which is pulling down on the drain plumbing.
These are the parts I got from Home Depot to retrofit my Red Sea 750XXL (you may need to go with a smaller diameter depending on the size of your tank).

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to hard plumb this. I was think of doing this as I don't like flexible hoses as they get in the way. I in the process of ordering plumbing for my RSR 250 v3 to convert to spears gate valve and this will go from 32mm to 1". Does anyone know the size of the union that is on the feefmat? I was wandering if I could plumb into this
Trust me - you're better off with the flexible hose for those situations where you need to reposition the ReefMat. The hose can easily be reduced in length (just allow for an extra 6" or so to ensure you can move the ReefMat if need be).

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me - you're better off with the flexible hose for those situations where you need to reposition the ReefMat. The hose can easily be reduced in length (just allow for an extra 6" or so to ensure you can move the ReefMat if need be).
That makes sense. The reason that I ask is I have two options on where to put it. I am going the route where I don't have to modify the sump and only have to cut the drain and emergency. Will the hose fit on a 1'inch pipe or do they only give an adapter for the 32mm. The reason I ask is I am converting my drain to a gate valve and going from 32mm to 1inch and trying to determine how to connect that.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. The reason that I ask is I have two options on where to put it. I am going the route where I don't have to modify the sump and only have to cut the drain and emergency. Will the hose fit on a 1'inch pipe or do they only give an adapter for the 32mm. The reason I ask is I am converting my drain to a gate valve and going from 32mm to 1inch and trying to determine how to connect that.
You may want to modify the sump. Pain in the a** now - pays dividends with more space down the road. If this is a smaller Red Sea tank you should be able to slip the flexible tube over the pipe (if not, those parts I listed will work for larger diameters).

Shunopoli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to modify the sump. Pain in the a** now - pays dividends with more space down the road. If this is a smaller Red Sea tank you should be able to slip the flexible tube over the pipe (if not, those parts I listed will work for larger diameters).
Its a RSR 250 v3. Ya I understand the room issue I just don't feel comfortable modifying the sump specially with water in an established tank

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a RSR 250 v3. Ya I understand the room issue I just don't feel comfortable modifying the sump specially with water in an established tank
It's not a huge ordeal, but I do recommend turning everything off and requisitioning a second set of hands. A net is handy for scooping all the stray bits of silicone. Allow for a lot more time than they show in the video. Definitely get the Red Sea sump modification kit if you go that route.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not a huge ordeal, but I do recommend turning everything off and requisitioning a second set of hands. A net is handy for scooping all the stray bits of silicone. Allow for a lot more time than they show in the video. Definitely get the Red Sea sump modification kit if you go that route.
Other than patience, it’s not a Bud deal.

djantdogg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I have the same tank with the 500. Looks like we both use up every available spot in our sump and cabinet!!! Is that DOS for water changes?
I have the same exact tank as you with the reef mat 500 also I was just wondering did your skimmer stop skimming after you installed the reef mat like mine

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same exact tank as you with the reef mat 500 also I was just wondering did your skimmer stop skimming after you installed the reef mat like mine
It did not, but I was also running a ClariSea previously so I wasn’t starting a roller from scratch. Without question, the Reefmat caused less skimmer reaction on installation of a new roll (which wasn’t horrible with the CS, but noticeable). I think the rollers generally run the tank very clean and leave less for your skimmer. I’ve actually started to turn my auto advance off most nights during the week to let the tank run “dirty” while the corals are extended and filter feeding. I’d consider turning my skimmer off too, but my tank is in a basement and the skimmer greatly increases my PH pulling outside air AND a CO2 scrubber.

djantdogg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did not, but I was also running a ClariSea previously so I wasn’t starting a roller from scratch. Without question, the Reefmat caused less skimmer reaction on installation of a new roll (which wasn’t horrible with the CS, but noticeable). I think the rollers generally run the tank very clean and leave less for your skimmer. I’ve actually started to turn my auto advance off most nights during the week to let the tank run “dirty” while the corals are extended and filter feeding. I’d consider turning my skimmer off too, but my tank is in a basement and the skimmer greatly increases my PH pulling outside air AND a CO2 scrubber.
Thank I might do the same

Back