Refugium light

daryl213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was curious to know if you guys think this light would be sufficient enough for a small refugium? Just going to be putting sea lettuce and maybe chaeto. Please let me know any advise!

hygger 30 Watts Aquarium LED Reef Light, Dimmable Full Spectrum Marine LED Fish Tank Light Saltwater Nano Aquarium LPS SPS Lighting https://a.co/d/iJJ2K98

IMG_4861.png

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your refugium area and whats your budget? I just bought the neptune GRO light but this is on the pricier side of things. I'm all for cheap Amazon lights but you gotta look for the right size (roughly wattage) and color spectrum for plants (mix of blues and reds/yellows)

OP
OP
D

daryl213

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your refugium area and whats your budget? I just bought the neptune GRO light but this is on the pricier side of things. I'm all for cheap Amazon lights but you gotta look for the right size (roughly wattage) and color spectrum for plants (mix of blues and reds/yellows)
My refugium is not big at all my sump is only a 20g so I am assuming the area where my chaeto and what not may only be about 7 in. L x 8 in. W x 11 in. Front to back so maybe a gallon or 2 of water

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any full spectrum light (white) will do actually. I got this one at a clearance bin store for $6 and it works well, even has it’s own timer.
IMG_7199.jpeg

Full spectrum lights will work but be wary of full spectrum claims! The lights OP listed claim full spectrum but also report this light spectrum:

Screenshot_20231119_124020_Firefox.jpg

Plant photosynthetic pathways only absorb certain wavelengths, so you get more bang for your buck (on a wattage basis) with lights optimized for plants. These are the blues and reds; plants reflect green and dont use it which is why they look green and it's a waste of electricity to be outputting this spectrum.

1700420033975.png

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a refugium you are essentially looking to grow macroalgae which is a photosynthetic plant. On Amazon you can pick up pretty ouch any plant grow light and it should work. It will the come down to shape of light, price, and wattage. You don't need the most efficient light. If for some reason it is underpowered just run the light for longer. I made the mistake of buying an AI Blade Refugium. Form factor and splash proof is nice but the par per dollar pales in comparison to the grow lights I have used to grow micro greens, seedlings, and tropical plants indoor during the winter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back