OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet he was very happy to get out of the sump! What a great tank you have. Mine are still doing well. The small one is finally starting to show more yellow color. Always seemed a bit washed out. I have had them two years now. I often wonder how much they have grown. Some for sure. Shrugs.

Love the video. Thanks so much for sharing.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been almost 3 years now. Both angels have grown and are doing great.

Attachments

• D66F8FE9-091D-4CF9-8B80-565D068D7CA4.jpeg
    D66F8FE9-091D-4CF9-8B80-565D068D7CA4.jpeg
    326.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 5BDBF506-9933-4B11-88F2-5EB749C9C1AA.jpeg
    5BDBF506-9933-4B11-88F2-5EB749C9C1AA.jpeg
    301.3 KB · Views: 46

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been almost 3 years now. Both angels have grown and are doing great.
Do they swim together or is each doing it's own thing. And is there any chasing?
My two are together a lot, especially during feeding. And there is no longer the slightest aggression or chasing between them. They pretty much have become a cooperative pair by now.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair have been together for 4 years. They are only around four inches long. The one that is slightly larger still chases the smaller whenever it can. Never to the point of fin damage, but they are definitely not a bonded pair. They sleep in caves on opposite ends of a six foot tank.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ThRoewer they are beginning to swim together lately. The largest is no longer chasing the smaller one. They are even feeding from the same seaweed clip. I had not thought about them becoming a pair actually. Since the larger one was so mean to the little one. I am happy the smaller one is not running away anymore.
Spawning would be more than I could hope for.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any signs of spawning?
I remember at one point you had three Regals, how did the trio work out? Did they reduce themselves to a pair?

not sure if you meant me. I have only had 2 at one time. No spawning. I hope they pair. It would be interesting to see how they interact with each other.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fishnut they are very slow growers. I am glad yours are nut hurting each other seriously. I hope the larger gives it up totally soon

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair have been together for 4 years. They are only around four inches long. The one that is slightly larger still chases the smaller whenever it can. Never to the point of fin damage, but they are definitely not a bonded pair. They sleep in caves on opposite ends of a six foot tank.
Do you see physical differences between them?
Males should develop a more stretched body and grow significantly larger opercula spines.

If yours are still looking the same and still have small opercula spines you may have 2 females.
At this point I'm no longer convinced that they actually change sex. I tried a few times to make pairs from females, but it never worked.

This time I knew I had a male. I got him as a 2" baby and over 4 years he grew straight into a male. So I just added a smaller female. There was some initial fighting and chasing but they bonded pretty quickly and acted like a pair less than a year after I put them together. I don't expect them to spawn anytime soon as they are both still pretty young.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see physical differences between them?
Males should develop a more stretched body and grow significantly larger opercula spines.

If yours are still looking the same and still have small opercula spines you may have 2 females.
At this point I'm no longer convinced that they actually change sex. I tried a few times to make pairs from females, but it never worked.

This time I knew I had a male. I got him as a 2" baby and over 4 years he grew straight into a male. So I just added a smaller female. There was some initial fighting and chasing but they bonded pretty quickly and acted like a pair less than a year after I put them together. I don't expect them to spawn anytime soon as they are both still pretty young.
This is interesting. I will start seeing how much difference there is in them. They are quite a bit of size difference in them though. Plus one is a yellow belly and one not.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 years have gone by since my first post about them. They are still doing fine. I do believe they are both males.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No change in behavior between my two Regals in the past year since my post#84. Definitely two females.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news on my end. After being together for many years the larger one decided to beat up on the smaller. Not sure why but since I have downsized and upsized I now have the larger regal at home with my Black Tang and my flame angel threesome. And my smaller regal here at work with a copperband and black storm/orange storm pair with yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair. I would like to add a smaller juvenile to my office tank but prices are too high.
180.jpg

I need to take my camera filters home to take a better picture
120.jpg

This is the smaller one filtered but since I only have a 36" build my led for lighting it sux. The regals colors along with the CB look much better in person.
the following was when they where still in the 120 at home together
regals.jpg

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alton sad to hear. But on the bright side they are both alive. And the copper band is great. And their stress levels are better. I won't be surprised if this happens to mine.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ThRoewer This is so exciting. Thanks for the video. Keep us posted. Would love to know if they actually lay any eggs.​

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back