Removing coraline

BigRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me more about this muriatic acid?

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here ya go. Much better then vinegar, less caustic and only needs to soak in it a hour or two max. Coraline will rinse right off.
D-D EzeClean Equipment Cleaner

hydor_koralia_4_before.jpg
tunze_6025_and_hydor_korali.jpg

Never tried Muratic Acid. What is the water/acid ratio recommended?

Last edited:

Buckaroo Banzai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Muriatic Acid... You can pick it up at Lows or Home depot. I think the paint area is where I found mine... Gloves and eye protection is a must and make sure to mix it the right way. Read the directions on the bottle. I think I mixed about a cup in 4 gallons of water...Again read the directions on the bottle on HOW you mix it with water. O and this will even eat into cement if you leave it on long enough in an undiluted state. But other then that it’s kind of safe. Just think of it as very strong vinegar.

When I was SCUBA diving for a living we would soak our regulators (some of the parts) in a very diluted bath to remove any calcium deposits when we cleaned them.

MichaelMouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use outside only, (there will be fumes) have a hose handy, safety glasses a must with a face shield even better, dont use a metal bucket, wear rubber gloves, and always pour the ACID INTO the water. Neturalize with baking soda if some spills. I'd use a 5 g bucket with about 4" water and add roughly about 2 cup acid to start with. Give it a few minutes. Acid concerntrations will vary with product so read the directions espically on how to dispose when done. Wash hands arms when done. Its not likely going to burn your skin immediatly like you see on TV but as I have found by not wearing gloves little drops you may not even feel get on your skin and start burning 15 minutes later. All this being said, I am new here and a beginner reefer, be safe.
MM

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked to another reefer, he uses it at a rate of 1 cup per 4 gallons of water to soak anything with coraline on it.

dakotasreef

Prestige Worldwide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always used vinegar with good results. 1/2- 1 cup per gallon. Let them sit for 24 hours. I usually run the pump in it, then just take an old toothbrush and it usually wipes off. I have never used muriatic acid but if you have kids as I do, I do not want this around.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back