KWConch85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few questions for those of you that live or have lived in the north Midwest (North Dakota) or carried renters insurance. I currently have State Farm renters ins. I am looking for renters insurance that covers aquariums, whether its damage from it cracking or breaking, leaking, etc? My apartment complex states no pets whatsoever (including anything that can be kept in a tank or enclosed) which I found it extremely odd. Has anyone gotten a letter of some sorts that states your aquarium helps with anxiety? I do live on the first floor and we have stable flooring due to underground parking. I have had fish tanks since I was 5 and haven't gone very long without one. Thanks for any information!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dunno if this helps, but I had State Farm. I had every reef keepers worst nightmare happen. I lived in a loft building. While out one night, my sump cracked open and dumped 130g of reef into my loft and all my neighbors. Total claim was around 35k. There were no problems with coverage.

Slickwill613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're gonna play the therapy animal card you'll need a doctors note and a written request to your landlord. The land lord can deny it but probably won't due to the possible hassle.

Vernon Cooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, renters insurance protects your belongings in the event of a fire, theft, or other unforeseen events. It covers damages to your possessions when you rent rather than own your home. It does provides coverage up to the limits you select for specified items and situations, including personal properties like furniture, electronics, computer equipment, and more. I believe aquarium might be included in it. Though you can also opt for some additional coverage if possible for the same. Renters insurance typically covers the cost of replacing personal items that are stolen, damaged, or destroyed. You can also clear all your doubts, go thought Internet, or take a look over some recommended sites about renters insurance and related information.

HardCory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of warning: if your apartment doesn't allow pets, it's probably in your lease. I don't know how that will effect your insurance, but you can almost guarantee that if you have a problem big enough to warrant an insurance claim, you can be evicted for breaking lease. That means no return one any kind of security, etc. And whatever your insurance can't cover, they could (probably) sue you for some reason or another to cover damages and anything else.
Just putting it out there. My wife is a property manager, so I'm just guessing, but it's worth some consideration. I hope it all works out!

Mundeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
State Farm employee here... renters insurance, condo insurance, homeowners insurance, etc will cover the tank and peripherals (stand, pumps, etc), but not the fish or corals as they're pets. If your tank breaks and floods your building, then the liability section of your policy will pay to get their stuff fixed.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Word of warning: if your apartment doesn't allow pets, it's probably in your lease. I don't know how that will effect your insurance, but you can almost guarantee that if you have a problem big enough to warrant an insurance claim, you can be evicted for breaking lease. That means no return one any kind of security, etc. And whatever your insurance can't cover, they could (probably) sue you for some reason or another to cover damages and anything else.
Just putting it out there. My wife is a property manager, so I'm just guessing, but it's worth some consideration. I hope it all works out!

I had a BIG HUGE problem in a no pets situation and it was covered without problem. Just FYI

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Great advise by those far wiser than I here!

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you guys know if renters insurance would cover damage done by exotic pets such as reptiles? My landlord has decided she is not happy with me owning snakes, and although she isn't making me get rid of them it makes me uncomfortable that she considers them a liability and may wake up one day telling me to get rid of them. I called my insurance State Farm but they weren't all that helpful, basically said they don't cover any damages caused by or done to an exotic pet or aquariums. Anybody have ideas?

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My State Farm Umbrella policy covered the damage my tank caused which totally around 35k.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My State Farm renters insurance is supposed to cover any aquarium damage. I was very clear with them when I got it that I had a 240g tank and needed to be sure that if it somehow leaked/blew out/whatever, that this insurance would cover the "flood" (carpet, drywall, etc. They swore it would. I'd call another agent and see what they say.
Cool thing was that when it was added to our vehicle insurance, our rates actually went down a couple bucks a month. Odd, but I'll take it.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they were asking me questions after my catastrophe, they actually asked me "how much experience have you had with reef aquariums?" Never knew why. Also, they don't cover the animals in the tank that are lost.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...I'm not sure mine would cover loss of livestock, just basically the water damage. It's strange to hear that one State Farm location/agent would say one thing and another would contradict that. I'd assume that it's the same parent company, so it would be the same nationally. Maybe it's different from State to State? I'm in CA.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah...I'm not sure mine would cover loss of livestock, just basically the water damage. It's strange to hear that one State Farm location/agent would say one thing and another would contradict that. I'd assume that it's the same parent company, so it would be the same nationally. Maybe it's different from State to State? I'm in CA.

That might be it. I'm in Alabama.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back