Reusing a tank after copper treatment?

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I reuse a tank that previously had copper run in it? I bought a replacement tank at the $1/gal sale, but I was wondering if I need to keep this one as a dedicated hospital tank or if it is safe to use for non-medicated QT.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I reuse a tank that previously had copper run in it? I bought a replacement tank at the $1/gal sale, but I was wondering if I need to keep this one as a dedicated hospital tank or if it is safe to use for non-medicated QT.
Just the tank itself, right?
It really shouldn't be a problem as long as you clean it out really well. Some people think that the silicone used to hold the tank together will absorb and leach copper but I haven't seen anything showing that to be the case. If you are worried about it, you might want to throw some cuprisorb in there for a month or 2 after you fill it. Remember, the ocean does have trace amounts of copper in it. The tiny amount of residue you would be unable to clean out shouldn't hurt anything.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming totally emptied. Simply clean it out with vinegar and a water rinse and you're good to go. Copper doesn't "stick" to glass or silicone.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bang, bang, bang! Quick replies! :)

I usually fill the tank with tap water and run the HOB filter, power head, heater, etc on it with lots of vinegar for 24 hours. Drain it, wipe it down and rinse it out and call it a day.

Maybe I should have asked if I can reuse my HOB filter and power head too... Can I? :p

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will let the experts reply here, but I have always been told that copper leaches into the silicone, and therefore any tank can not be used again with inverts, etc...

Copper ions will sometimes get trapped on the surface of silicone, but they won't get absorbed.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question. This guy is getting rid of a lot of sand that use to be used with copper. Is the copper hard to remove from the sand?

Steven Leong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess that if Copper Sulfate will go into solution if the pH dropped, then one could add possibly, citric acid, get it out of the substrate and into solution. Then do a complete water change, and remove what little is left with cuprisorb. Just guessing though.

Boomer1pug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will copper power stay on plastic aquarium plants and can you clean them and reyse

Back