OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do understand where you are coming from however, i have a purple ritteri heading my way this saturday. I have prepared a section for it in my aquarium. Like many others have mentioned.... it moves to the highest point on the structure its connected too.. The rock island on the very right is "Magnifica Island". Its not connected to anything.

1583353448809.png
Is that 4 mp40s? Isn’t that a TON of flow?

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mags can tolerate -- and like -- a lot of flow. I have one in a 120 gallon tank with two Gyres (pushing water across the top via alternate flow) and two MP40s (pushing water from back to front).

One reason to keep them on a pedestal is to keep them away from weirs and overflows. If blocked, you'll have a flood if the tank overflows.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir! That and my L2 turned up. But this isn't just for the sea anemones... this will be an sps dominant system. Random strong water movement is the goal. Plus its a pretty large system...just over 300 Gallons

1583354913333.png

Two pumps on each side operating opposite of each other. Two orange on at the same time while the blues are off and when blues are on the orange pumps are off... this happens every 10 seconds are so.... it works well at creating the back and forth motion we commonly desire.

1583355435967.png

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for all the info. I have moved his to an isolated area about 10” below the surface. Has strong lighting and upped the flow. He colored up much darker now and the clownfish I just bought immediately jumped into his tentacles on their own . Here’s a photo update.

EC0EC889-3A0C-4A5F-851B-A71D94B485CE.jpeg

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the white bleached area has colored up and he’s got a nice dark purple body now.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my story:

"I received a beautiful purple Mag last saturday and things have turned out for the worse and i'm hoping i can save it. Prior to ordering the anemone i researched their requirements and care, i believe im capable of keeping a mag anemone. I have had my colorado sunburst for over 3 years and it has split more than a handful of times.

I also have been keeping SPS corals with success for years as well. After acclimating the nem to my display, it latched to my rock work and for the most part stayed put. I left it there for a day and all appeared to be well, although i noticed some of the tentacles deflated. I added 2 small clowns as a recommendation to help further acclimate the nem (not sure if this was a good or bad idea).. but i noticed the nem starting the cycle of deflating which concerned me.

I witness this happening twice over a period of a couple days. Yesterday morning the anemone looked its worse as it was completed deflated and it looked like it was dying. I had cipro overnighted and received it that evening when i made it home from work and began treatment. This consisted of breaking the 500MG pill in half and mixing it with a small cup of water from the aquarium to dissolve it. I filled a 10 gallon aquarium with water from the main display and placed the anemone in the hospital tank (10 gallon aquarium) and mixed the dissolve cipro in the hospital tank. The anemone appeared to get worse, the body of the anemone begin to shape it self like a cone and the mouth was open with clear gelatin like substance coming from it. I removed the substance and continued to monitor the nem. This morning i changed half of the water and will dose the cipro this evening once the lights go out...."

I'm sharing this story to say if you see any signs of deflating in the nem AT ALL...start the treatment. This forum is a great source of information.

1st few hours nem introduced into the tank

1583945940307.png

Day 2 in the main display:

1583945986408.png

1583946010829.png

Day 3: Things start turning for the worst. The nem had deflated twice by this time and it was starting to inflate again

1583946104592.png

A few hours later:

1583946164898.png

I decided to take it out and treat it: This is what it looked like tuesday morning 03/10/20

1583946234196.png

This morning: 03/12/20
1584056875060.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3rd day in treating with Cipro, i came home to this: Evening of 03/12/20

1584057267729.png

1584057291513.png

I think that if it deteriorated that quick then you bought it like that. Maybe the men’s foot was injured. Slot of riterri anemones are prone to infection.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that if it deteriorated that quick then you bought it like that. Maybe the men’s foot was injured. Slot of riterri anemones are prone to infection.
You know that's what i thought... the dealer told me that it was in their system since OCT 2019 and if it were sick they would not have sold it.... I have chatted with a few experienced reefers and they explained the dealer could be telling the truth, however they dont ship well allowing the bacteria that is always present to get them sick due to their weakened state . I just want it to have a full recovery so i can get it back in the main display. Plus i've always wanted to have a ritteri.

OP
OP
Micaeltercer

Micaeltercer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know that's what i thought... the dealer told me that it was in their system since OCT 2019 and if it were sick they would not have sold it.... I have chatted with a few experienced reefers and they explained the dealer could be telling the truth, however they dont ship well allowing the bacteria that is always present to get them sick due to their weakened state . I just want it to have a full recovery so i can get it back in the main display. Plus i've always wanted to have a ritteri.
He’s looking better isn’t he? Kinda more formed up like he should?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back