Ritteri - need help, maybe too late

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
New here but have been in the hobby about a year. System info in my signature. Water chem. Is at base line optimal..... I run the apex trident system as well as beef it up with roids and fuel. Testing done at min. 3 times a week.....

Ok, bought a Ritteri about 3 weeks ago. In LFS it was purple and green. Healthy and about medium size. Bagged and tagged it shriveled up as expected. Got it home, went through acclamation, then placed in a high flow, med.-high light area of tank. At this point it was still the size of half dollar, flat, and no tenicles.

FSt forward 2 weeks.... still the same except it will stretch toward light when it’s off and extrude about an inch. At times looks like it’s turned inside out other times just looks flat.

I have two other nem’s; a bubble and a white with brown tips I was gifted and never told what it was. Those two are healthy as can be and growing. This ritteri not so much.

I have no experience in sick nems. I have never nursed one back. He is strong because he looked dead too many times and keeps going. Tried to feed many times.

Oh, 3 days ago moved to quarantine, have tried to dial in a good light setting with Radion, have a skimmer on the tank, good flow, and great rock.

Pics attached
Help please!

Jai
E1D690C2-1683-4698-8571-517D73E18807.jpeg

1A60519D-5F5C-4615-9841-C3905D1E83FC.jpeg

7F846E57-45BB-427E-B449-5DC2F2579F08.jpeg

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take this out and treat it with cipro immediately. You can still save it. That color (green with purple tips is rare) is a beauty.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a sticky thread called how I cipro. You'll need a 10g tank, some Cipro, a heater, powerhead, coffee mug, and some eggcrate to separate out the powerhead, heater from the nem.

The last Ritteri treated I use 5gal of salt water with 250mg of Cipro. I added it at lights out and changed the water every 24 hours for 7 days. It did great under this protocol.

The standard is 10g of water but I used 5g

OP
OP
jaihutcherson

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try the cipro to for sure. I have been thinking to do so but have never done it before so wanted a bit of help getting there. Thank you for your time and effort. It is much needed and much consumed.

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a sticky thread called how I cipro. You'll need a 10g tank, some Cipro, a heater, powerhead, coffee mug, and some eggcrate to separate out the powerhead, heater from the nem.

The last Ritteri treated I use 5gal of salt water with 250mg of Cipro. I added it at lights out and changed the water every 24 hours for 7 days. It did great under this protocol.

The standard is 10g of water but I used 5g
Forgot to mention light. I used a spare AP700 and MP10.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I agree try treating or isolating and doing daily water changes if you can’t get cipro the new clean water will help minimize bacterial growth and signal the Nem to flush out untill you get the meds!

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Daily water changes on nems like that in a separate treatment tank can make the world of a difference even without the meds

OP
OP
jaihutcherson

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get ahold of Cephalexin today in LFS. I ordered the cipro. Is it ok to treat with what I got today until the other arrives. Both a broad spectrum antibiotic. I think the cipro targets some specific stuff as well... correct?

thanks for all the help!

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes give it a shot since you have it. Reefers tested many different antibiotics with some success but then ended up going with Cipro after Orion recommended it based on the marine ailments it treats.

I would suggest that you order cipro to have it on hand. Your lucky to live in a country where you can buy antibiotics without a prescription. It’s banned in my country. Even ones used for animals.

Read this:

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes give it a shot since you have it. Reefers tested many different antibiotics with some success but then ended up going with Cipro after Orion recommended it based on the marine ailments it treats.

I would suggest that you order cipro to have it on hand. Your lucky to live in a country where you can buy antibiotics without a prescription. It’s banned in my country. Even ones used for animals.

Read this:
What country are you from again?

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like a BTA than a Mag imo.

OP
OP
jaihutcherson

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have searched for another like it. Was told Ritteri but we have just begun the journey of anemones. If it is different than we think please correct as I’d rather know and better treat/raise than not know and miss something. If nothing else, since diving into reef tanks, I’ve learned to be humble and act like a sponge.

jai

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like a BTA to me. Either way, if you can remove it's foot from the rock and safely move it to a hospital tank, treating with cipro would be the best course of action here gauging it's wide open mouth and shrunken tentacles.

OP
OP
jaihutcherson

jaihutcherson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely looks like a BTA to me. Either way, if you can remove it's foot from the rock and safely move it to a hospital tank, treating with cipro would be the best course of action here gauging it's wide open mouth and shrunken tentacles.
I just moved the entire rock to my quarantine tank. Did a 250mg Cephalexin treatment. Ordered the cipro but won’t be in til late next week. Hoping what I did tonight make a difference.

thanks for all the input. I need it.
Jai

sprungson

Anemone Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved the entire rock to my quarantine tank. Did a 250mg Cephalexin treatment. Ordered the cipro but won’t be in til late next week. Hoping what I did tonight make a difference.

thanks for all the input. I need it.
Jai
I probably wouldn't have moved the entire rock, you're going to kill all the bacteria on the rock. I typically take a credit card and remove it from rock. (this is easier with ritteri since they are on flat rock)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take him out and treat him with medication also. Go ahead and use Cephalexin
at the doe sof 250 or 500 mg per 10 gal until you get the Cipro.
Good luck with him.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%
Back