Rob's 36 Gal Bowfront

razorblaze827

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 18, 2014
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Front Royal, VA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this contest doing research on cycling my new tank with dry dead rock, as it was perfect timing with my new build. I had a 26 gal a few years ago but my inexperience at the time ultimately lead to a tank crash and its demise. I have just gotten back into the hobby. I now have a 36 gal bowfront. RO Water/Dry Rock/Aragonite substrate was added on 6/9/2014 to begin the cycling with a small pinch of fish food flakes. Currently only have a 200W heater, a 24" LED light fixture with Dual Daytime 8,000K/12,000K white LEDs and Dual Actinic with 445nm/460nm actinic blue LEDs, and a mechanical hang on the back filter for water flow at the moment. Unfortunately my stand cannot accommodate a sump, so I will be ordering a HOB protein skimmer in the near future, along with some new powerheads.

This photo was taken 6/18/2014.
20140618_235201.jpg
Aquascape design is not final at the moment, I had just stacked them in the tank and waited for the water to clear up last week.
 
Entry Photo

Entry photo taken 7/1/14

20140701_185011[1].jpg


Update log :

6/21/14 -Seeded my tank with a cup full of live sand and a piece of live rock with coralline algae from a friend's established tank,to speed up cycle.

6/27/14- Rearranged aquascape. Hooked up an old Seaclone (I know they suck), but modified it, and currently pulls some skim, but not much of a bioload currently in the tank. Using an old overflow box as a surface skimmer, and positioned other half of it to house some chaeto in the future and defuse micro-bubbles from the skimmer. This is a temporary setup, might be upgrading to better equipment. Added a small cleanup crew of 9 hermit crabs and 4 margarita snails.

7/1/14- Entry photo taken - Diatoms are starting to appear.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new