OP
OP
Robs Reef

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I last posted, on cruise control at the moment, but needs a little pruning. Also Coralline algae is out of control, have most of it scraped off, but sill have 2-3" from the bottom, most spots was up to a foot.

Screenshot_20210521-204910_Instagram-02.jpeg

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since I last posted, on cruise control at the moment, but needs a little pruning. Also Coralline algae is out of control, have most of it scraped off, but sill have 2-3" from the bottom, most spots was up to a foot.

What do you keep alk, ca, nitrates and phosphates at?

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a video of Rob talking about his filtration.
Its a large sump filled with deep layer miracle mud and cheato refuge. He also has large protein skimmer and a large uv recirculating in to the sump. I don't think he does socks or anything else.
Fairly simple, but works as can be seen by the results

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rob, hope you don't mind me asking. I have tried to find the glass thickness of your tank, but no mention of it anywhere?

You refereed to 3x floating glass is that 3x pieces of glass siliconed together?

Then you have your side glass sitting on that 3xfloating glass & inside is eurobraced?
What is the thickness of the floating glass?

In my country we unfortunately do not have company like crystal dynamics & every one I went to said it's not possible do what you have achieved .

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at facebook at the Orphek page. Robert is there as well and might get back to you sooner.
Thanks bud I do have him on Instagram, & seen him post recently on this forum, but for what ever reason he hasn't visited his build thread .
I will probably hit him up on insta if no reply soon

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow man!

This is like literally my dream tank, from the scape to the coral. That it's a complete mixed reef.

I aspire to be you, I wish within this decade, but maybe in the 2030's,

Amazing brother, absolutely amazing.

Kindred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain your sump a bit? Looks like three sections , first is where overflow goes in, looks like no filter socks but live rock? You have a light there too? Do you have mud in first section? Then second section is fuge with mud cheto and kessel 380, then just return section with manifold? Do you put your calcium reactor effluent just into the fuge?
Also , how many hours do you run you display lights ? Par is so high lol

truly epic tank

Jim

ineption

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rob,
Man I got to say your reefing ethos has definitely rubbed of on me and I simply took away a lot of the variables & stuck to one thing & my tank never looked better.
My question is whats your mortality rate do you lose coral or let me rephrase since year one how many acros gave up the ghost.
Me personally I had 3 that just didn't make it.
A lot of people say its part of the hobby, but I would like to hear your take on it.

PS tank is looking like staff of dreams. I only wish I was in US California

OP
OP
Robs Reef

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain your sump a bit? Looks like three sections , first is where overflow goes in, looks like no filter socks but live rock? You have a light there too? Do you have mud in first section? Then second section is fuge with mud cheto and kessel 380, then just return section with manifold? Do you put your calcium reactor effluent just into the fuge?
Also , how many hours do you run you display lights ? Par is so high lol

truly epic tank

Jim
Hi Jim,

My sump is 48x36x20 and it's one giant refugium, which is 38x36x20 and if you do the math the rest is the return section. It houses about 20lb of live rock, 4 clowns a giant CSB anemone, mystery wrasse, gold flake angel and a regal. On the right side and the other half is wall to wall chaeto. It's separated by a false wall, that only goes up 4". Effluent goes in after the baffle that leads to the return.
My display starts to ramp up at 10am and ramps down at 10pm.

OP
OP
Robs Reef

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rob,
Man I got to say your reefing ethos has definitely rubbed of on me and I simply took away a lot of the variables & stuck to one thing & my tank never looked better.
My question is whats your mortality rate do you lose coral or let me rephrase since year one how many acros gave up the ghost.
Me personally I had 3 that just didn't make it.
A lot of people say its part of the hobby, but I would like to hear your take on it.

PS tank is looking like staff of dreams. I only wish I was in US California
I'm at the point where my acros are fighting for space and now getting alot of die offs due to shading. I have been fortunate that past 2.5 years where I didn't get any random rtn's I lost my Homewrecker due to my angels going to town after fragging, which caused bacterial infections, which I ended up chopping and saved a few pieces and now they're growing in my frag tank. Same with my Angrybird, sold half my colony, then boom angels went to town, it is now recovering, thank the reef gods. I used to get STN with random acros, in my 300g, but I know now it was due to poor circulation and not enough flow. im running 6 MP60's and between 3pm to 6pm they are all humming at 100%. But right now my biggest problem is shading!
20211005_150455.jpg

Back