rockflower anemones?

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you know your rockflower anemone has moved vs when it has died? i woke up to it missing this morning and i can’t seem to find it anywhere. do they usually stay attached when they die and rot or do they let go and just float off shrink and make it impossible to tell where it is? i’m afraid i killed him last night by overfeeding it because i couldn’t see him catch any food particles so i kept blasting until i saw stuff caught on the tentacles and it was my second day feeding him + he is new /: can anyone help during these desperate times?

it’s a 30 gallon tank and i can’t seem to see him anywhere hopefully he opens up when the lights turn on if he’s still alive somewhere. also will it kill my lifestock if i can’t find him and he is dead?

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the biggest expert, but here's my limited experience:

They can get pretty small when they are on the move. I've also had them move in cracks and crevices where I couldn't see them. I wouldn't be certain he is gone.

I've had one die that was about the size of a half dollar coin, and he didn't effect my 90 gallon tank at all. (he looked like he had a damaged foot from capture and never attached) I'm sure they do release something when they die, but size and tank volume matter. If your worried, run a little carbon and do a normal water change. I doubt it would nuke your tank like a sea cucumber can.

I just wouldn't overreact and watch your current livestock for signs of stress.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the biggest expert, but here's my limited experience:

They can get pretty small when they are on the move. I've also had them move in cracks and crevices where I couldn't see them. I wouldn't be certain he is gone.

I've had one die that was about the size of a half dollar coin, and he didn't effect my 90 gallon tank at all. (he looked like he had a damaged foot from capture and never attached) I'm sure they do release something when they die, but size and tank volume matter. If your worried, run a little carbon and do a normal water change. I doubt it would nuke your tank like a sea cucumber can.

I just wouldn't overreact and watch your current livestock for signs of stress.
thanks a lot. yeah he’s about the size of a nickel and i cant seem to find him anywhere! hopefully he didn’t die.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does your tank have a sand bed?
yes. i had just moved him up from the sand bed last night, he was planted in this hole i made in a piece of rubble until this morning. he’s the size of this other one i have about the same size of a nickel

06E9B69F-15C4-42F3-A37E-AB761806D80C.jpeg 375B0B32-FD6F-429C-9F28-6F800C011F73.jpeg

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock nems will almost disappear at night into my sand bed. They shrink down and come back out an hr or so before lights on.
yeah i’ve been trying to see if he will stick his head out somewhere, anywhere at this point, but don’t really see him. my sand bed is definitely deeper than the length of his foot, would he be able to just plant himself even on a rock and not open at all for some reason also?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. i had just moved him up from the sand bed last night, he was planted in this hole i made in a piece of rubble until this morning. he’s the size of this other one i have about the same size of a nickel

06E9B69F-15C4-42F3-A37E-AB761806D80C.jpeg 375B0B32-FD6F-429C-9F28-6F800C011F73.jpeg
They like to pick their own spot. Independent little boogers. LOL. Probably sulking in the sand somewhere. I can usually spot them when the whites are off and only the blues are running just slightly under the sand.

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like to pick their own spot. Independent little boogers. LOL. Probably sulking in the sand somewhere. I can usually spot them when the whites are off and only the blues are running just slightly under the sand.
thanks for the advice. would you suggest i just stop trying to look for him and wait until he decides to come out somewhere? my biggest fear is he will either wind up dead somewhere or sting my corals at night /: especially since i just bought a $500 bounce shroom !!

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advice. would you suggest i just stop trying to look for him and wait until he decides to come out somewhere? my biggest fear is he will either wind up dead somewhere or sting my corals at night /: especially since i just bought a $500 bounce shroom !!
I use one of those sea squirt things to blast the sand around a bit every day. They don't usually dig down too deep. Should be able to locate it. Protect the shroom!

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy was in the same spot for two years. Now it has moved to a shady out of view spot in the back of the tank
868ABC65-345A-4FF5-B1CA-0E15DC9503AF.jpeg

OP
OP
lazycouch

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really trying to avoid being seen. thanks for the help everyone so glad he wasn’t dead and seems happy where he is now :)

D527C4BF-39A9-450E-BC81-EE59519C42FF.jpeg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Wow! He's tiny! Did he ever pop up again?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back