Sailfin tang died

florida reef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 4, 2010
Messages
883
Reaction score
18
Location
Vacation Spot
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, yesterday morning I notice my sailfin tang is kind of sitting in a corner of the tank not swimming around like he usually does. Immediately I began to worry. It was almost time for me to feed the tank anyway so I thawed some food and added it to the tank. The sailfin didn't even look at the food, which is also unusual bc he is a pig when it comes to eating. Now I'm really worried. I put in some fresh macro algae for the tang and let it be. The rest of the day the sailfin continued acting strange. Fast forward to this morning and sure enough my tang was dead behind the rocks. I had him for about 9 months, maybe more. He was approx. 3" and a very cool fish.

Just checked these about 20 mins ago after I pulled the tang out.
Water params:
salinity: 1.024
Ca: 420
Nitrate: 1>
Phosphate: .05>
PH: 8.2
KH: 9
Temp:79-80

the tang has never been bullied by any other fish(that I have noticed) and didn't have any marks on him that would indicate an injury. The params look good so I have no clue as to what killed him.
Thanks
 
I had the same mystery death with one of my Regals! After lots of scratching my head I figured mine out. Did you or anyone else spray any air freshner in the room or in the house? My wife did that and BANG! dead Regal. Just a thought. Parameters look good, but sometimes its just that time. Sorry for your loss bro, I feel your pain!
 
Oops. I thought it was in my signature...guess not. 90 gallon mixed reef. Fish: archeye hawk fish, 3 green chromis, mystery wrasse.
 
I have heard of tangs eating some other types of algae(bubble, cheato) and and we assume it gets lodged in their digestive track. There is a local guy who's Blonde Naso ate cheato and became lethargic and would not eat, but luckily he passed it.

Sorry for your loss
 
Was in FL a week ago. Orlando/Kissimee/Winterhaven. Hawk fish can be little punks. I have a Spotted Hawk. Never any problems with other fish. I just added a Sailfin to my 90g. Whenever the two get near each other the Hawk will go after the Sailfin. Have had a trap for the Hawk in there for two days now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new