Salinity/APex help

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks salinity is 33 with my refractometer calibrated with the BRS Refracto juice.

My Salinity probe thinks it is 30.1 and alerts me consistently to the problem.

Is there a way I can just tell the Apex what the salinity is and have it adjust the probe? Like an over ride work around?

Thanks!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But you can recalibrate your salinity probe to see if that solves the issue. Using the 53,000 micron packet, if calibrated successfully it should be in the 35-ish range.

You may need to disable the probe, disconnect it, reboot the Apex, reconnect the probe and re-enable before recalibrating.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most common problem is air bubbles trapped inside the probe. Put the probe completely under water, tip it upside down, then tap it gently. You'll likely see a few air bubble escape from the tip. Then put it back into place and your readings should be more accurate.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. But you can recalibrate your salinity probe to see if that solves the issue. Using the 53,000 micron packet, if calibrated successfully it should be in the 35-ish range.

You may need to disable the probe, disconnect it, reboot the Apex, reconnect the probe and re-enable before recalibrating.
The probe was calibrated 24 hours ago, by a professional installer. This is how it operated immediately after calibration.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most common problem is air bubbles trapped inside the probe. Put the probe completely under water, tip it upside down, then tap it gently. You'll likely see a few air bubble escape from the tip. Then put it back into place and your readings should be more accurate.

Thank you for the idea. I will try it out.

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the idea. I will try it out.
This messed me up when I first installed my apex, I ended up raising the salinity on my tank. Lesson I learned - never trust the probe alone before making changes. It's "directional" at best. When there are air bubbles in the probe, mine reads up to 5 ppt below. When no air bubbles, it consistently reads 2ppt below. I had to move my probe to an area of the sump up stream from my skimmer otherwise microbubbles would inevitably get trapped. I was hoping to find a manual way to calibrate but as previously stated, doesn't sound like it exists. I guess I'm resigned to living with 33 and just watching it for trends.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 33 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back