Salinity levels low

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a few LPS in my tank, but recently my sanity levels fallen below the one I would like it to be. Currently 32-33%o ideally I would like to increase it to higher.
Two questions here how high?
How would you do it. Water changes doesn't seems to efficient.

The tank is LPS dominated. They are happy ATM.

All advice and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO is definitely an option. this is a 40g so would you just add the calculated difference (in salt) to the ATO so I know once the 25l ATO runs out the salinity would be in about the right level? 25l in my experience enough for me for about 4 weeks

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO is definitely an option. this is a 40g so would you just add the calculated difference (in salt) to the ATO so I know once the 25l ATO runs out the salinity would be in about the right level? 25l in my experience enough for me for about 4 weeks

yes or if you don’t want to contaminate your rodi pump with salt water and your reservoir with salt water (just means extra cleaning) just remove a couple of litres of water from your display everyday and replace with slightly higher salinity salt water than 35ppt, do it slowly and it’ll be fine, I would go this route myself, saves messing with the ato, I hate touching that thing.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes or if you don’t want to contaminate your rodi pump with salt water and your reservoir with salt water (just means extra cleaning) just remove a couple of litres of water from your display everyday and replace with slightly higher salinity salt water than 35ppt, do it slowly and it’ll be fine, I would go this route myself, saves messing with the ato, I hate touching that thing.
Makes sense. In the past I have just swapped my controller over to run my ato with a new pump/tubing with a bucket of slightly salty water. Best not to contaminate your RODI lines if possible, especially if you have low evaporation and it sits around.

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanity is difficult to control. However salinity is easier. 35ppt should be your aim. How did you get it too low?

Edit - yes, I know, it’s not really TOO low.
Not quite sure. My mix used to be aiming 33. But than a I had no corals. I guess as the water changes were reduced due to my Dinos slowly the salt buildups and loads of cleaning processes took the salt out. I have no better explanation.

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO takes water from a 25l water jerrycan. I use the same for water changes and salt mixing. When I do a water change I stop ATO and top up the jerrycan and mix saltwater in it. I use a heater and an another little pump to mix. It is ready in 30 minutes. Do the water change rinse the can and top it up with RODI again. The pump of ATO goes back in and ready.

I don’t see the salt may remain in the system this way as problem. It would be so low probability wouldn’t able to measure it with any home tools.

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. In the past I have just swapped my controller over to run my ato with a new pump/tubing with a bucket of slightly salty water. Best not to contaminate your RODI lines if possible, especially if you have low evaporation and it sits around.
About 5l a week so about 2-3% is my evaporation. Not sure if it is good or bad.

Not sure what effect it would have on ATO for having salt water in it for a month. Probably very little

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ATO takes water from a 25l water jerrycan. I use the same for water changes and salt mixing. When I do a water change I stop ATO and top up the jerrycan and mix saltwater in it. I use a heater and an another little pump to mix. It is ready in 30 minutes. Do the water change rinse the can and top it up with RODI again. The pump of ATO goes back in and ready.

I don’t see the salt may remain in the system this way as problem. It would be so low probability wouldn’t able to measure it with any home tools.
Although folks do use water just after mixing, I suggest you use a separate container and let it mix overnight, then test it before using it. It’s ok in an emergency, but long term, nah.

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either change your rodi water in your ato to salt water or just add a little salt water above the level of your ato sensor, this will keep your ato off for a while, as the extra salt water evaporates it will increase your salinity.
I would agree just adding A little extra salt water so that the ATO doesnt fill the tank with RODI and as the tank water evaporates salinity slowly increases

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although folks do use water just after mixing, I suggest you use a separate container and let it mix overnight, then test it before using it. It’s ok in an emergency, but long term, nah.
I use Red Sea salt the mixing instructions are the below:

“Mix vigorously (without aeration) for 0.5-2 hours, until all of the salt is dissolved and pH has stabilized to 8.2-8.4. DO NOT mix for more than 4 hours." It also suggests on the bucket to have temp at 77F for achieving the desired salinity levels.”
Temperature restrictions is obviously for testing since testing reading is depending on temperature.

My experience was that after an hour there is clear water without any salt Cristal on the bottom. I use heater and a small pump to mix so in this way I fallow the instructions.

On the jerrycan I have marked the 25 l which and often using a scale to confirm the amount of water. Salt is added with scale measurements rather than cups so the refractometer is just used for double checking the mix is done.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea salt the mixing instructions are the below:

“Mix vigorously (without aeration) for 0.5-2 hours, until all of the salt is dissolved and pH has stabilized to 8.2-8.4. DO NOT mix for more than 4 hours." It also suggests on the bucket to have temp at 77F for achieving the desired salinity levels.”
Temperature restrictions is obviously for testing since testing reading is depending on temperature.

My experience was that after an hour there is clear water without any salt Cristal on the bottom. I use heater and a small pump to mix so in this way I fallow the instructions.

On the jerrycan I have marked the 25 l which and often using a scale to confirm the amount of water. Salt is added with scale measurements rather than cups so the refractometer is just used for double checking the mix is done.
Yeah, I’ve heard about that. I don’t understand the reasoning behind it though. It’s like saying “Do not start a new tank with this salt”.

OP
OP
attiland

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’ve heard about that. I don’t understand the reasoning behind it though. It’s like saying “Do not start a new tank with this salt”.

Not sure why there is upper time limit on mixing but the important bit for me is the time required for mixing water is about 1h for me.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yeah weird, Red Sea is not the only salt manufacturer to suggest only a 2 hour max mix, as the video shows 2 hours is probably not enough for most salts.

They seem to forget the salt gets mixed when added to the tank constantly, way more than 2 hours!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back