Saltwater ich

ktisdale22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any success treating ich in a saltwater tank. I have about a dozen fish, but do not have a QT large enough to house them for a month. Help Please let!!!

Gregorjw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have corals and or inverts in your main tank?

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that will actually kill ich will also kill any inverts like pods, hermits, snails, shrimp. It would also be difficult to do in a display tank because the rock/sand will be absorbing some of the copper which would make keeping therapeutic levels difficult. It can be done though. The other issue becomes that once you have treated for ich you have to remove any traces of copper before it would be safe for anything other than fish which can be done, but is difficult.

You might be able to use Chloroquine, although I've never heard anyone using it outside of a QT tank.

Gregorjw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chloroquine phosphate may work, I think the problem you may have would be with the Chloroquine degrading due to bacteria and biofilm.
Here's a good thread about Chloroquine, the biofilm interaction is mentioned a little bit but unfortunately Chloroquine levels are fairly difficult to read so most of the info is anecdotal
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/
Heres a thread where they kinda put the kibosh on CP in a main tank https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate-in-display-tank.280659/

What types and how many fish do you have?

OP
OP
K

ktisdale22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raccoon butterfly
Koran Angel
Half black Angel
Two squirrel fish
Two pajamas
Blenny
Two clowns
Yellow Tang

So maybe try CP?

OP
OP
K

ktisdale22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not to worried about the crabs actually I just do not want to flush a few hundred dollars down the toilet

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CP will work with hermit crabs and will not ruin the rocks and sand. Keep your lights off/low during treatment though as light degrades the medicine. Use carbon to remove after 30 days.

OP
OP
K

ktisdale22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what does HT stand for? I know what QT stands for.

Redleg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look into hyposalinity. There are quite a few threads on here.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CP does not degrade once in water due to light. In it's powdered form it does, but not once mixed into water.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CP does not degrade once in water due to light. In it's powdered form it does, but not once mixed into water.

I would disagree. I've been using CP for 25+ years direct sourced from wholesale vet script . Reef lighting will reduce effectiveness.

Here are the directions from NLS Ick-Shield Powder (CP) website:

"...Aquarium Preparation:

For use in hospital/quarantine tanks. No rocks or deep sand beds in the tank. No UV/Reef Lights. It will break down the active ingredient. Remove filtration media and turn off protein skimmers. Wet/dry biofilters needed for marine aquariums.

Note: The treatment bath will clear algae. This can cause a spike in ammonia levels the first few days.

After Treatment:
Perform a thorough water change after treatment to clear Ick•Shield from the water. Change filter media to ensure no residue remains from the treatment."

Just my opinion...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would disagree. I've been using CP for 25+ years direct sourced from wholesale vet script . Reef lighting will reduce effectiveness.

Here are the directions from NLS Ick-Shield Powder (CP) website:

"...Aquarium Preparation:

For use in hospital/quarantine tanks. No rocks or deep sand beds in the tank. No UV/Reef Lights. It will break down the active ingredient. Remove filtration media and turn off protein skimmers. Wet/dry biofilters needed for marine aquariums.

Note: The treatment bath will clear algae. This can cause a spike in ammonia levels the first few days.

After Treatment:
Perform a thorough water change after treatment to clear Ick•Shield from the water. Change filter media to ensure no residue remains from the treatment."

Just my opinion...
But doesn't this also say not to be used in a display tank? Or am I misreading it? Frankly - I wouldn't use anything to treat CI in a display tank - unless you dose it repeatedly. like every 3 days. with water changes. (ie. Lets say its a 10 gallon tank - dose the dosage for a 10 gallon tank. On day 3 - change 50% of the water - and add enough CP for 7.5 gallons - do it again in 3 days and again in 3 days). It might result in a slight over or underdose. But - there is no other way to do it. IMHO.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the sticky for CP https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

If aquarium light will break it down or not is a subject of debate. Since you are running a FOWLER tank I would not think that you would be running anything that would be an issue of break down.

Granted I certainly would not be recommending you run CP is a display. I also wouldn't suggest copper either or anything that would actually kill Ich. It's your tank and your decision. Thankfully we have a plethora of information at our disposal to make educated decisions on what we believe the best course of action is.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is the sticky for CP https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chloroquine-phosphate.192309/

If aquarium light will break it down or not is a subject of debate. Since you are running a FOWLER tank I would not think that you would be running anything that would be an issue of break down.

Granted I certainly would not be recommending you run CP is a display. I also wouldn't suggest copper either or anything that would actually kill Ich. It's your tank and your decision. Thankfully we have a plethora of information at our disposal to make educated decisions on what we believe the best course of action is.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis.771/
Seems like it is - I read the sticky - it says light degrades the powder (mostly)? What does that mean?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back