sand bed?

  • Thread starter Thread starter whip1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

whip1

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2010
Messages
266
Reaction score
9
Location
Md
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many of you here vaccuum your sand bed periodically like every 2 weeks when doing water changes.
what bennifits have you found?
whats the negatives?
 
it seems like a major pain to up root all the corals and clams on the sand bed to vaccuum every two weeks.
I was always told to leave the sand bed alone until now.
I just wonder how many people really do this?
I have diatoms right now because of what I went through with the tank but I planned to just let it run its course..
 
Add a few more Hermits, I had diatoms bad in the 90 and they took care of them in a couple days.

I usually don't move the corals, I have a small vacuum, 1/2 inch diameter, I use to vacuum around things.
 
I never touched my sand bed. I broke down my 75 a few months back and it had a 6 year old dsb in it. I never cleaned,siphoned or stirred unless I was re-aquascaping my tank. IMO if you have the right critters and fish in your tank you should never have to touch it.
 
never... i have 3 sand sifting stars a hundred or so nassirus snails and a blenny they move the sand around enough.....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.4%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new