BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used my city water to clean my 80 pounds of sand (Caribsea grade sand) I know this is frowned apon.

My water has chloramine in it and I used the city water to clean it, I drained the water out as much as I could and put the wet sand in my 90 gallon aquarium. There was very little water in the sand still, it didn't pool. I used rodi water at 0 tds and filled the tank with that.

I still have to cycle my tank, I plan to do a 90% water change when my tank Cycles, should I still add a dechlorinator in my tank? Or should that little bit of water not be too much of an issue for the 90 gallons worth?

I also have a sump bringing it to about 110 gallons maybe 100.

I'll attach a picture of my tank as well. This is my first time posting so sorry if I did it wrong. I pretty much only understand reddit. This is pretty confusing to me.

16495421756877621478771179348119.jpg

Andyrm66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take the cheap insurance and use the dechlorinator. It will happen naturally over time, but the sooner you get the chloramine out the faster it can start cycling

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take the cheap insurance and use the dechlorinator. It will happen naturally over time, but the sooner you get the chloramine out the faster it can start cycling
Ok. So should turn all pumps on, leave filters in like filter socks and sponges and let the dechlorinator make its rounds?

Andyrm66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and be prepared for a sand storm in your socks, even though its rinsed theres still a ton of fines that will need to get cleaned out.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and be prepared for a sand storm in your socks, even though its rinsed theres still a ton of fines that will need to get cleaned out.
Ok 2 last questions

1. Do I dose the tank to 90 gallons worth (as if I used tap to fill) or only like 5 gallons worth? Because the water put in the tank wasn't even enough to pool.

2. Do I do a water change or just leave the dechlorinator in the tank?

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a late reply and you probably already proceeded, but for anyone else looking for answers on this, it’s not going to harm anything. If you are worried about it, you can throw in a dose for 90 gallons worth. It will absolutely be overkill, but it will not do anything. I used to use the Prime additive (not sure if it’s even made still) to treat tap water and had zero issues with that. And Arizona tap water is horrible. There wouldn’t be any need to do a water change after adding the water conditioner either.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a late reply and you probably already proceeded, but for anyone else looking for answers on this, it’s not going to harm anything. If you are worried about it, you can throw in a dose for 90 gallons worth. It will absolutely be overkill, but it will not do anything. I used to use the Prime additive (not sure if it’s even made still) to treat tap water and had zero issues with that. And Arizona tap water is horrible. There wouldn’t be any need to do a water change after adding the water conditioner either.
Yeah this was a very late reply but what you recommend I do is basically what I did. The tank is thriving now. I just actually put in a new fish today. I just put in a fox face rabbit fish. I'll share the most recent picture I have of the tank but it won't have the fox face in it.

I plan to get some Coral soon

Attachments

• 20220527_220443.jpg
    20220527_220443.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 20

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back